need opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
need opinions

I just sold my challenger and I'm looking to get a mustang for around 18,500. I'm stuck between a 2008 Shelby gt that is very clean with 50,000 miles and 4.10 gears. A 2008 regency gtr mustang which is very cool and spotless. The guy claims it built out to a 351 and has 400 horse but I'm not sure If that's accurate. There is a 5.0 in my area thats in range but has 110,000 miles.
mattmatheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
18500 for a 2008 Shelby is a good price. My girlfriend has been looking and about 24,000 best I have seen for about that milage. I am still partial to the new Coyote for obvious reasons. You should have some luch with and 11-12 GT in that range I would think but havent looked either. Personally I would stay away from built 351. I would think they built that for a reason and used it for that reason. My cent and a half anyway lol. Whatever you do your upgrading... stang is a stang man!
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
need opinions

I'd get the GTR, that's just me. But if you want performance get the 5.0. Then again it's 110,000 miles and it's probably had the guts beaten out of it. The shelby GT is just an over priced ford GT. Then again I'm the type of person that doesn't want a dime a dozen GT.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
I'd get the GTR, that's just me. But if you want performance get the 5.0. Then again it's 110,000 miles and it's probably had the guts beaten out of it. The shelby GT is just an over priced ford GT. Then again I'm the type of person that doesn't want a dime a dozen GT.

Yea I'm having a hard Time finding a decent 5.0 in my price range that isn't beaten to hell. If I get a 2005-2009 model I don't want just the average gt. Even the 4.6 felt way faster than my challenger though
Old 07-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

need opinions

That's why I got a supercharged Roush. I looked at an 09 GT500 and an 07 saleen supercharged. That era needs a supercharger or just don't bother. But out of the options I'd get the GTR. If it doesn't have a supercharger then slap one on there. I haven't brushed up on my history on them so I'm assuming it's N/A. Speaking of challenger what did you have?

Old 07-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's why I got a supercharged Roush. I looked at an 09 GT500 and an 07 saleen supercharged. That era needs a supercharger or just don't bother. But out of the options I'd get the GTR. If it doesn't have a supercharger then slap one on there. I haven't brushed up on my history on them so I'm assuming it's N/A. Speaking of challenger what did you have?

The 351 is n/a I'm just worried that the dealership doesn't have a lot of info the guy was kind of clue less. I'm confused on how a 4.6 can even b built out to a 351 and how reliable it is. I'm not very knowledgeable on engines. I had an rt. Great looking car but too heavy to be competitive. Even with a tune and intake still just can't keep up. I love mopars but would never get another unless its an srt8. I've seen several saleen mustangs for good prices . how reliable are they for an everyday driver? I don't really care for the saleen look.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

A 4.6 to a 351? That's 70 cubic inches, I must have skipped that part. That's kinda fishy if you ask me. If you have a reputable shop you take your cars to for repairs take it there, so they can take a look. Get their opinion on the car and then make your decision.
Nice. My friend nearly bought a 14 SRT8. He would've if they weren't trying to screw him on the trade in. My local Dodge dealer had 2 Hellcat Challengers. I was like 😍 then I saw they were auto I went to 😡. I'm restoring my 70 Challenger T/A, it's making good progress. Love the Challengers!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
A 4.6 to a 351? That's 70 cubic inches, I must have skipped that part. That's kinda fishy if you ask me. If you have a reputable shop you take your cars to for repairs take it there, so they can take a look. Get their opinion on the car and then make your decision.
Nice. My friend nearly bought a 14 SRT8. He would've if they weren't trying to screw him on the trade in. My local Dodge dealer had 2 Hellcat Challengers. I was like 😍 then I saw they were auto I went to 😡. I'm restoring my 70 Challenger T/A, it's making good progress. Love the Challengers!

Unless he got the 5.4 out of an expedition or truck maybe? Are those 351s?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

need opinions

5.4 = 330
5.75 (5.8) = 351
So, maybe it's a 302? Which he did say the guy is clueless on the car. It might be a regular 4.6, and the guy is just blowing smoke up his @$$. Which a 351 from a 281 that's one hell of a stroke and it would have to be bored. Hopefully it's a 5.4 with a stroker kit in it. I don't like this.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
5.4 = 330
5.75 (5.8) = 351
So, maybe it's a 302? Which he did say the guy is clueless on the car. It might be a regular 4.6, and the guy is just blowing smoke up his @$$. Which a 351 from a 281 that's one hell of a stroke and it would have to be bored. Hopefully it's a 5.4 with a stroker kit in it. I don't like this.

He just called back and said it is a 4.6
He swears it put out 400 or more I think he's bsing tho. I would go drive it but its 5 hours away. I think he's gotta be wrong and its a 302 or just a regular 4.6. It has a shaker on it too.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
It takes a decent amount of coin to get 400 hp na out of a 4.6
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
For $18,500 that Shelby is a damn good price but performance wise... you are not going to be much much anything over an "average GT".

If you could go up another $1500 somehow you could get a low mileage Coyote 2011 base model. Lowest I've seen a nice one is $20k. You also might want to consider a road trip out of your local area... or even a fly out/drive back scenario if everything checks out and you do a LOT of due diligence.

Ever consider a 2004-down special edition car like a Mach/Bullitt/Cobra? You might even find a Termi for that price range with the miles you are looking for but maybe not.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Its come down to a 2010 auto gt stock with 60,000 miles vs a Shelby gt 2007 with 40,000 miles. Both are straight across trades.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Shelby GT.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmatheny View Post
Its come down to a 2010 auto gt stock with 60,000 miles vs a Shelby gt 2007 with 40,000 miles. Both are straight across trades.
I'd get the Shelby and it wouldn't even be close for me. The 2010 has the upgraded interior and chassis but still has the "05-09" drivetrain. Shelby will hold its value a lot better but if you are going to DD it then racking up miles on it will bring that down.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #16

Region: North Carolina
Talking

If you are seriously considering a Coyote 5.0, my advice would be to be patient. I started looking back in the fall with my search being for a 2011 and up GT. I was not going to pay over 20 grand for anything. At first my searches turned up nothing but salvage title rebuilds. Anything close to what I wanted was over 1000 miles away. Finally in April I lucked out and found my 2012 GT Premium. It had had damage reported, which turned out to be some A-Hole kicking a big dent in the door while the previous owner was parked. The dealership that had it did the repair work and they described the damage and repair in detail. Apparently no one would bite on the car online because of the damage being reported on the carfax. When they dropped the price to 18900, I pulled the trigger on it. It had 58000 miles and all of the service records. Needless to say I am a very happy Coyote camper. If you are patient, your car will turn up. Mine was only 45 minutes away.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well unless something goes completely south they are holding the car for me and I'm scheduled to pick it up next Thursday. I went with the black Shelby gt with silver stripes!
Old 07-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

need opinions

There's one of them in my area same color combo. And I believe there's someone on the forum that has one too. Only thing it needs is a rear spoiler. Very good cars I think.

Only the rocks last forever.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion