Vortech v1 opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Vortech v1 opinions

I currently have a v1 on my 2v running 10lbs and tbh I'm not the biggest fan of it. I have someone who wants to buy for $2000 and I almost want to go for an On3 turbo kit. What do yall think I should do. And how easy is the on3 kit to install? Is it fairly simple?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
SkylerTallman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I wouldn't. You'll be into that On3 kit for double what you are now easy and not really any faster. I mean turbos do have their advantages over centris but still.

Why are you not a fan of it? If you are running it without an intercooler on a stock draw through setup there is a lot left in it.

What sort of fuel system are you running with your Vortech btw? That might make the On3 kit a little more affordable but if you are thinking you are going to be cost neutral on this... definitely not.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I wouldn't. You'll be into that On3 kit for double what you are now easy and not really any faster. I mean turbos do have their advantages over centris but still.

Why are you not a fan of it? If you are running it without an intercooler on a stock draw through setup there is a lot left in it.

What sort of fuel system are you running with your Vortech btw? That might make the On3 kit a little more affordable but if you are thinking you are going to be cost neutral on this... definitely not.

I'm running on water/methanol injection, I currently do not have a inter-cooler. I would love to run more boost but my 2v probably can't handle much more and I daily it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

If it can't handle more with the Vortech it won't handle more with the On3.

Most of the tuners I've talked to are not huge fans of the water injection. Which is why I bought a FMIC.

You can always add a FMIC and then do the "torque improvement" mod to the blower and ditch the meth for a better all around setup (IMO). You basically pulley the blower up to its maximum safe operating speed and then wastegate the piping so you are back at 10 psi to the TB or whatever you want it set at. This means you are still at the same boost but it comes on a LOT quicker as the headunit hits the max wastegate boost really fast.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If it can't handle more with the Vortech it won't handle more with the On3.

Most of the tuners I've talked to are not huge fans of the water injection. Which is why I bought a FMIC.

You can always add a FMIC and then do the "torque improvement" mod to it. You basically pulley the blower up to its maximum safe operating speed and then wastegate the piping so you are back at 10 psi to the TB or whatever you want it set at. This means you are still at the same boost but it comes on a LOT quicker as the headunit hits the max wastegate boost really fast.

Sweet man ! I will love into that then. I'm having problems building boost right now. It won't build until about 4300rpm and won't hit the full 10lb until I'm right at redline. Should I try another belt or change the pulley or tensioner ??

Old 07-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

You could be getting belt slip or you could have a leak at a coupler somewhere or the bypass valve could be going out?

How old is the kit and have you kept up with maintaining all the pieces? I ask because the Novi 2000 that came in my Silver GT was all sorts of ****ed up after 15 years of basically not being maintained properly. Headunit was great but everything else as far as couplers and clamps and hoses and everything else... yeeeesh...

Old 07-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You could be getting belt slip or you could have a leak at a coupler somewhere or the bypass valve could be going out?

How old is the kit and have you kept up with maintaining all the pieces? I ask because the Novi 2000 that came in my Silver GT was all sorts of ****ed up after 15 years of basically not being maintained properly. Headunit was great but everything else as far as couplers and clamps and hoses and everything else... yeeeesh...

I bought it on the car about a month or so ago. So idk what he has done but he told me it was a autozone belt 🙈

Old 07-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Might be belt slip. Inspect every coupler and all the piping/hoses and everything.

Not to mention you might not be happy with it because the tune could be the stock vortech tune. Its a VERY conservative tune and the draw thru setup they use with the 79-04 MAF element is crappy.

Ever since the 05+ slot MAF setup came out, that is the way to go with a forced induction app, and blow thru. No more bypass (BOV to open air), way easier to tune for and more accurate.

But keeping it simple, look for a leak first.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion