My 2013 has issues! Ford buyback? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
My 2013 has issues! Ford buyback?

Today I took my 13 V6 performance pack into the dealer today to check on a creaking noise coming from the front end. Turns oit its my lower control arm. The car has now had this issue now for the 3rd time and the car is under 36,000 miles. Also its had a water pump fail as well as a leak at the rear diff. Would this fall into the lemon law? The dealer said they will have to contact ford on monday. It would suck to have them buyback the car as it has been bought back before with the previous owner. I have done some upgrading in the car. (Cold air intake, stripes, tinted windows) now they would probably only give me what I paid. Does anyone know about this?
racemamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Far from a lemon. Just part of owning a car. Nothing major so wouldn't make a big deal about it. Fix it and move on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
About 20 seconds of googling got me a solid answer to your question...
NO.
You stated you're the second owner. Besides...what you describe is normal pain in the butt crap that can and sometimes does break, even a few times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	187994  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by racemamxx View Post
Today I took my 13 V6 performance pack into the dealer today to check on a creaking noise coming from the front end. Turns oit its my lower control arm. The car has now had this issue now for the 3rd time and the car is under 36,000 miles. Also its had a water pump fail as well as a leak at the rear diff. Would this fall into the lemon law? The dealer said they will have to contact ford on monday. It would suck to have them buyback the car as it has been bought back before with the previous owner. I have done some upgrading in the car. (Cold air intake, stripes, tinted windows) now they would probably only give me what I paid. Does anyone know about this?
Are you saying that this car has been previously bought back by Ford, and then they re-sold the car to you?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Are you saying that this car has been previously bought back by Ford, and then they re-sold the car to you?
Bought back from the previous owner then sold to me a couple months later
Old 07-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Did you know that when you purchased the car?
Old 07-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you know that when you purchased the car?
Yes I ended up getting an excellent deal on it. About 6k less than what others were going for at the time
Old 07-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Then you knew what you were getting yourself in to. Don't complain about it.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
This is the mentality of some today.... Like this story. Make poor decisions or have minor life issues....blame everyone else.
College student blames parents after she blows $90G college fund | Fox News
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Yes I ended up getting an excellent deal on it. About 6k less than what others were going for at the time

Sounds like you got 6k for your troubles already

🇺🇸Vote Ox for July MOTM!🇺🇸

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well this is interesting!
It sounds like you Do NOT want them to buy back the car. I can see why. You got a really good deal! And, as stated above, all of the issues that you mentioned are relatively minor.

When you bought the car, was there ever any mention that Ford may not honor their warranty since the car was a buy back?

I would think that, since you are the owner of the vehicle, that you would have to be the one to initiate them buying back the car under the lemon law. The factory will typically do everything in their power to NOT buy back cars... Once they leave the assembly line, they don't ever want to see the car again!

This is an unusual circumstance though. At least one that I'm unfamiliar with!
The only reason that I could imagine Ford wanting to own that car for a THIRD time is, if they thought that the warranty repairs on the car were going to cost more than buying the car back. And if that is what they thought during the first buy back, from the original owner, the car would not have been re-sold, They would have crushed it.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I thought I'd I company bought a car back due to lemon law they could not resell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #13
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
For a $6K discount I would let them fix it and live with it.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
What was the reason for the original buyback, did you inquire? As stated above, I would think that Ford would rather fix the car, (assuming that when you bought the car, there were no restrictions on the warranty due to the original buyback) before buying the car back again. Having never bought a car that had been previously bought back by a manufacture, I'm not sure if the warranty that was in affect when the car was new would have some restrictions.
rogcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:53 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Didn't think a car could resell a lemon.

You could always park it under a bridge, douse in kerosene, and collect insurance money...NO, I'M NOT SERIOUSLY SUGGESTING THIS!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:06 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Quote:
...The factory will typically do everything in their power to NOT buy back cars... Once they leave the assembly line, they don't ever want to see the car again!

ha ha! yeah, right!!
the knowingly sell defective vehicles so you have to pay to repair them!!
if they sold you a reliable car, they would sell less newer vehicles, less on service & parts... & make less money!!
right?
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:05 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
In the state of Florida, a new vehicle falls under a lemon law act if the vehicle has been back to a dealer 3 times to fix the same fault, and it was not repaired. In the case of the OP, he bought the car used, and therefore assumed to be as is, and no lemon law applies in this case.

You bought it as is and knew about this, and have no recourse with the dealer or Ford.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its under warranty, have them fix it or take it to a different dealer if you think its the dealer being an idiot about fixing it. Rear diff leaking, that's a seal and maybe a cover. Water pump, easy, control arm... might have been a bad batch of them or its a ****ty dealer that is just saying they fixed it to shut you up.

Might want to take it to a different dealer TBTH...

Also might want to see if you can get them to upgrade you to Boss control arms. They are a Ford part and they fit all 11-14 cars with minor modifications.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
good stuff Scotty (yet again)

OP, it is a hassle we know but keep at it be firm polite at the dealer mayhap consider another dealer if this one can't help you
Old 07-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog View Post
ha ha! yeah, right!!
the knowingly sell defective vehicles so you have to pay to repair them!!
if they sold you a reliable car, they would sell less newer vehicles, less on service & parts... & make less money!!
right?
Lol.
Yeah, that's probably part of the game plan.

Henry Ford never intended to build the best car. He wanted to build a car that practically everyone could afford. The reason that he left Cadillac (A company that he co-founded) was they were heading in the direction of building cars that only the wealthy could afford. Ford wanted to build cars and sell them to EVERYONE! And that he did! More than 15 million Model T's.
What really amazes me is how all of the auto manufacturers are able to assemble literally thousands of parts, supplied by hundreds of vendors, into vehicles that, for the most part, are very reliable transportation.
They aren't perfect, because most of us can't afford "perfection". They are pretty good, in my opinion, and I'd rather be riding around in a "pretty good" automobile than riding on top of an "excellent" horse...
Old 07-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316

i know that not every vehicle & part is gonna be perfect 100%, but taking it back 3x for the same thing is ridiculous
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The concern, as I understand it is, can Ford refuse further warranty coverage and force you to sell back the vehicle? In other words you want to keep the car but also want them to fix it under the warranty. I believe rather than a lot of speculation your best move is to contact your local authority on consumer laws, as soon as possible. Best to know your rights before the dealer gets back to you on it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

I wonder what happened with this? Presumably the car has some kind of warranty since it was reply by Ford to the OP...
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

It has a warranty, it is new enough. The problems he mentioned are not super serious and should be easily fixed. If the control arm is a 3x thing, time for BMR to the rescue, these cars need new LCAs and especially relocation brackets BADLY anyway. Leaky diff is a seal and water pump... **** happens, its under warranty.

I'm assuming since there haven't been any updates he took it in and its finally fixed.

Also when a car has a control arm go bad 3 times... that is more than likely some hack mechanic just tightening the one on there up or something and then calling it good than actually replacing it with a good unit. Or they had a bad batch come in. Either way the stock ones are **** like I said even if it isn't making any noise.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
It has a warranty, it is new enough. The problems he mentioned are not super serious and should be easily fixed. If the control arm is a 3x thing, time for BMR to the rescue, these cars need new LCAs and especially relocation brackets BADLY anyway. Leaky diff is a seal and water pump... **** happens, its under warranty.

I'm assuming since there haven't been any updates he took it in and its finally fixed.

Also when a car has a control arm go bad 3 times... that is more than likely some hack mechanic just tightening the one on there up or something and then calling it good than actually replacing it with a good unit. Or they had a bad batch come in. Either way the stock ones are **** like I said even if it isn't making any noise.
It's the front LCA's, it's a known issue with the 11-14 cars and them making noise. Ford has gone through 3 or 4 revisions trying to fix the issue but its hit or miss as to if the replacements are any better.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:35 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ah, front control arm? Just mod a Boss control arm to get in there then. Or just do the BMR K member and control arms up front. Drops 40lbs off the nose of the car which is always good and even better for the already light Cyclone.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Race has been asking about exhaust systems so I'm gonna guess it's good (or he's trying to drown out squeek)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion