Picked up a Procharged 2003 Mach 1! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Picked up a Procharged 2003 Mach 1!

Picked up this beauty with 24k miles. Made 405 rwhp according to the dyno sheet @ 6 PSI. Having the pulley swapped out for 8 PSI and getting a new tune.

I'm pumped.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Fully forged Manley rods/pistons, Cobra crank, ARP hardware, 8.5:1, Procharger P1SC w/ intercooler, AFM power pipe, 60# injectors, 03/04 Cobra tank with dual fuel pumps, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, O/R X pipe and Flowmasters, Exedy stage 3 clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax, Front and rear upper + lower control arms, Ford Racing springs, Bob Monks tune 448 rwhp @ 9 PSI
LaserRed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I usually go back and forth in wether or not I would buy a car somebody supercharged. It looks real good though
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
VERY nice car. Pics of the motor please 😎
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I've always been a little nervous about doing that. It was professionally installed at a local well-known shop though. I looked into some of the cylinders, pistons and walls look pristine and it runs great. Kinda fell in love with the car when I saw it so I went for it, hope it doesn't come back to bite me! Interior and exterior are mint.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Thank you!! I'm at work but I'll post when I get home!

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Fully forged Manley rods/pistons, Cobra crank, ARP hardware, 8.5:1, Procharger P1SC w/ intercooler, AFM power pipe, 60# injectors, 03/04 Cobra tank with dual fuel pumps, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, O/R X pipe and Flowmasters, Exedy stage 3 clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax, Front and rear upper + lower control arms, Ford Racing springs, Bob Monks tune 448 rwhp @ 9 PSI
Old 08-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

What color is it? The more I look at it the more I am unsure
Old 08-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
What color is it? The more I look at it the more I am unsure
Can't remember the actual Ford color name, but it's jet black. I used my phone camera, which is kinda garbage as far as color goes.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

I was looking at it and it was trying to be dark green or grey! I love the matte black
Old 08-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Already stomped a buddy's '98 Cobra. We both knew it would but wanted to know by how much. It was a lot...

Hope to run into a stock or bolt-on Coyote at the track some time to see how it compares. Pretty sure it'll take a stock one, based on a 2013 GT/CS I test drove a while ago.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

It should take a stock one no problem. Not sure what the weight difference is but you have the power advantage
Old 08-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
It should take a stock one no problem. Not sure what the weight difference is but you have the power advantage
I think the weight difference is something like a 300 pound advantage for me? Maybe a little more. I do have more peak power, should be about 470 at the crank right now at 6 PSI vs ~430 on the 5.0.

Where the Coyote motor wins is all around powerband. Since I've got a centri blower it's kinda peaky. Doesn't make a ton of power until 3k RPM or so, another reason I am going to go for a smaller pulley real soon. With 8 PSI I should be pulling on bolt-on + tuned 5.0s with any luck.

I'll be happy with that, it's just a daily driver. Don't want to push it harder because stock internals and trans.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

The Machs are excellent cars. That one looks to have been well taken care of. What's your trans?

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
The Machs are excellent cars. That one looks to have been well taken care of. What's your trans?

Pick your poison.
It seems to have been pretty well cared for, always garaged. Got it from the 42 year old owner who bought it new. Also has a nice Kenwood touchscreen double-din head unit and some professionally installed subs. Nothing extreme, but good quality. I don't really care about car audio like I did when I was 18, but it's nice to have.

It's a TR-3650 5-speed.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserRed99 View Post

Looks sweet. I have never seen that setup with the shaker. Pretty cool
Old 08-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Looks sweet. I have never seen that setup with the shaker. Pretty cool
Some people even run roots/twin screw blowers with the shaker still on top. Must be a tight fit! Of course it's completely for looks with a S/C installed.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

A few more pics, some next to the old '99 GT which is gone now. I know the Mach is nicer, but I'll still miss it!

- Album on Imgur

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

I understand the feeling. I miss my 01 Bonneville. I love the Roush but I wish I kept the Bonneville.

Pick your poison.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Bonneville is actually a nice car, I wouldn't mind one of those for a daily!

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

It's was the SSEI, fancy way of saying supercharged 3.8L. It was a nice car, black with tan leather. And man the supercharger would talk to you like no other. But it's gone and the Roush is here. Previous cars will do that to you. To me it's kinda like your selling the memories made in them. And maybe a little harsh, you're betraying the memories. Main reason why my chevy isn't going anywhere. Had some of the happiest memories of my life in that car.

Pick your poison.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, the SSEi is nice. I've seen some sweet looking ones. Cool car for a sedan. I guess the same engine as the GTP?

And yeah that's not harsh at all, feel exactly the same way. Especially after you've modded a car and made it your own. Man my heart sunk as I watched the GT drive off with the new owner behind the wheel. Was slightly depressed for a few days.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

It's the Buick supercharged 3.8L. Everyone used the engine, and made special models that had that engine. And yes I think you're right, it's the GTP engine. Don't quote me on it, but it sounds right.
And it doesn't help you have people wanting it and you're not wanting to sell it.

Pick your poison.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
NICE! Ugh, I have to get my supercharged car done, how much $$$ if you don't mind me asking? Mint Mach with that mileage with a blower... probably not exactly cheap but I can't imagine you paid more than $15 or $16k for it.

Only thing I would make sure is that the tune is spot on and maybe get it gone through by a local tuner you know is good. Unless you already talked to the shop that did the tune.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I actually paid $17k lol probably a little on the high side, but it is in amazing shape so I agreed. What still needs to be done on yours?

And yeah Bob Monks at STL Mustangs is about to retune it for me. Best in the business in the Midwest. I know that's extremely important.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Well for one the engine isn't in his car.

Pick your poison.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I can see how that's a problem.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Wow that's a sweet car!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dwbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Well for one the engine isn't in his car.

Pick your poison.
Quote:
I can see how that's a problem.
Lol yeah, bought it with a blown motor, its the car in my sig. Only paid $5500 tho...

Anyway, your Mach is SUPER nice and even at that price... IMO the Mach is the nicest of the New Edges as far as just you don't see too many especially nice ones and the shaker and all the other touches on it.

The Procharger doesn't hurt either...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Definitely a steal, for both of you. I wish my car was that price when I bought it. But I like it and it's getting to be a nice car. Just taking time to get it nice. Almost bought a centrifugal bullitt, it was a nice piece, but the car fax was a deal breaker. Something about a 2V makes them cool, still trying to figure out what. 4Vs are just awesome plain and simple.

Pick your poison.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I agree about the 2V. I think it's because it's kind of an underdog. It would feel great to blow by a termi in a built one and make the guy cry.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I agree about the 2V. I think it's because it's kind of an underdog. It would feel great to blow by a termi in a built one and make the guy cry.
Enough money anything can beat anything.

You have any plans for this Mach beyond the pulley/tune? What else is done to the car? Suspension mods are going to be a big thing you'll want to tackle next IMO. That is the route I am going anyway. Shooting for a similar power number with a replacement stock motor and then going crazy on the rest of the platform sitting at a safe 425-450 depending on what the tuner says.

I'm assuming since its procharged it is intercooled/aftercooled AMIRITE? That might be something to look into if it happens to not be.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:35 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Enough money anything can beat anything.

You have any plans for this Mach beyond the pulley/tune? What else is done to the car? Suspension mods are going to be a big thing you'll want to tackle next IMO. That is the route I am going anyway. Shooting for a similar power number with a replacement stock motor and then going crazy on the rest of the platform sitting at a safe 425-450 depending on what the tuner says.

I'm assuming since its procharged it is intercooled/aftercooled AMIRITE? That might be something to look into if it happens to not be.
I think the reason I want to do that in a 2V because when I was driving the GT around one night, just cruising normally some ******bag in a Cobra actually drove by and spit out the window at my car then took off full throttle out of nowhere. That got under my skin, lol. Don't know why some people just have to be dicks.

The numbers you're looking for should be pretty safe from everything I've read over the years with a quality tune. That's also a good power level for the street I think.

Anyway, I've actually been looking at coilover kits already. I like the Eibach Pro, I had that on the GT and it really helped keep the car planted. With my stock suspension, even at 405 rwhp I've got to be really careful in first gear or I just spin all the way to red line with my Nittos. And yes, I'm intercooled.

I'm also kind of looking at the SR Performance coilover kit, doubt it's as good as Eibach but the reviews are still good and it's like half the price. Any experience with those?

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

I would stay away from the SR coilovers. I've seen a few sets of these lose their oil and basically become worthless. You have SUCH a nice car, it deserves better.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards the Eibach, was just looking for any opinions on it... and I think you've just sold me on keeping away from SR.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Old 08-05-2015, 06:55 AM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly... you have a badass numbered car you paid a premium for, she deserves premium parts. I'm not sure what your budget is and it might not be a ton since you just dropped the $$$ on this thing but I would seriously SERIOUSLY look at the Max Motorsports K package with the forward offset control arms. It's $1800... but it comes with EVERYTHING you need to replace the stock stamped K with the MM one, coilovers, A arms etc...

If that is way over the top and you just want to lower it and work on the rear traction some... get the Max Motorsports coilover kit with Konis or Bilsteins and then start on the rear end. Also you don't really NEED coilovers if you don't need the adjustability to save some $$$.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Nice looking car man!
bAsebAll1332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2003 mach 1