Battery tender - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
Battery tender

Because my '07 GT Mustang sits for weeks at a time between use (it is heavily modded and not a daily driver) I keep a battery tender/maintainer hooked up when not is use. I have done this with all my Mustangs past and present and have always hooked both the positive and negative clips directly to the posts on the battery. However, after finally reading the directions on use of battery tenders it appears that it is recommended to attach the negative clip (ground) to a part of the chassis instead instead of the negative post. I have never had any issues with attaching both clips to the battery posts. Does anyone know of any damage being done to the battery by dong so?
dffej51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dffej51 View Post
Because my '07 GT Mustang sits for weeks at a time between use (it is heavily modded and not a daily driver) I keep a battery tender/maintainer hooked up when not is use. I have done this with all my Mustangs past and present and have always hooked both the positive and negative clips directly to the posts on the battery. However, after finally reading the directions on use of battery tenders it appears that it is recommended to attach the negative clip (ground) to a part of the chassis instead instead of the negative post. I have never had any issues with attaching both clips to the battery posts. Does anyone know of any damage being done to the battery by dong so?
It has always been my understanding that what is recommended is a safety measure. That is, in case there is any leaky fumes around the battery, the point of spark would be away from the battery. And of course the negative should be the last connection made, for that reason.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It sounds like the same instructions for safely connecting jumper cables to a battery.
Most people don't realize that they are driving around with a 30 pound hydrogen bomb underneath their hood.
They recommend that you connect the positive lead first, and then connect the ground to a metal part that the battery is grounded to, as far away from the battery as is practical. This is in case there is any hydrogen gas venting from the battery, which could be ignited by the small spark created when the ground is connected.
And car batteries do explode! I have seen it happen twice!

There is no danger to the battery, other than a risk of explosion. You would have to connect the ground directly to the battery if it is not installed in the car, correct?
It is just good practice to keep the spark as far away from the battery as you can, in case any hydrogen gas is present.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion