Looks like the new Camaro is emphasizing their new V6, while Ford ignores theirs. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Looks like the new Camaro is emphasizing their new V6, while Ford ignores theirs.

Weird that for the new Camaro,the base engine is the turbo 4, and you move up to the V6. In addition, you can have all of the options with the V6, which you most certainly cannot do at Ford......I think Ford may have made a mistake in not doing the same thing for the Mustang.....

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/16/2...-review-video/
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Weird that for the new Camaro,the base engine is the turbo 4, and you move up to the V6. In addition, you can have all of the options with the V6, which you most certainly cannot do at Ford......I think Ford may have made a mistake in not doing the same thing for the Mustang.....

2016 Chevrolet Camaro First Drive [w/video]
Interesting. I guess GM still sees some life in V6 engines.

If only the front fascia of the Camaro wasn't so goofy-looking...
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
IMO, GM is making a financial blunder doing this. There is zero need for the sixxer except for the rental fleets where you really don't want a turbo car with dip-****s abusing the crap out of them.

For the 2015 Stang, the eco makes more power, gets better mileage and is a lot easier to hot-rod so why would they put anything into the 6?

Also the Eco4 vs the Cyclone6 argument has already been beaten to death x1000.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Also the Eco4 vs the Cyclone6 argument has already been beaten to death x1000.
True......but I am not talking about which engine is "worthy". I just wonder why did Ford make NO options available for their V6? They still could have the bottom feeder V6 with no options for Hertz, but have made the rest of the options list available for those who might want that engine, but a more deluxe car. They are all made on the same assembly line, after all.
I just find it odd that if you want leather, you HAVE to "move up" to the 4 cylinder from the 6.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I know a few people who bought the eco solely because of the interior options. I'd rather have all the models of the Mustang be "special" in their own way instead of the base model being a strict rental car. Also wish the 3.7 would have been tuned up instead of detuned to make the eco be the higher rated hp/mpg model.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

^ I gave up on what passes for Ford corporate "logic" long ago.

And the new Camaro is smaller and over 200 lbs lighter than the prior model. Pretty much the opposite of what Ford did with the new Fusionstang.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 10-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Camaro keeps going in the right direction in my opinion, might be my next car in garage next to my stang.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
Camaro keeps going in the right direction in my opinion, might be my next car in garage next to my stang.
I am sure that in a head to head comparison test, the new Camaro is quite likely to run rings around the current Mustang.
Even given this, I would take the new Mustang all week long and twice on Sunday if only for the reason that you can SEE out of it.
We rented a Camaro convertible last year while on vacation, and while trying to see when a traffic light turned green (if you were first in line), you had to have your chin on the top of the steering wheel. And, the new Camaro looks to have even a smaller greenhouse. They really are almost dangerous in their lack of visibility, and if not, certainly claustrophobic.
The Camaro's beltline is more like an Empire Waist.......yes, I just made that analogy.....OK, maybe better would be to picture an old man with his pants pulled up too high..........
Old 10-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

From a Car and Driver recent review of the V6 Camaro:

Listening to the V-6 ape a V-8, you may begin to notice that you can’t see out. Like the last Camaro, the 2016 has about as much glass as does the Unabomber’s supermax cell. GM design seems obsessed with exploring how small it can make windows. We’d love to have a Camaro with great visibility, but that’s not happening unless you opt for the convertible and never put the top up. At least the fenders are visible, which makes placing the front of the car easier.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Fusionstang..... that's funny!!! Hee hee
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
My half-grandpa (who I have seen about 5 times in my entire life) has a V6 automatic Camaro-- Also did not know difference between my Cobra and my GT..

Soo... yeah my family life is in shambles right now
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Absolutely agree with you, Guard 5.0. I'm driving my third Mustang ('14 V-6 Performance Package), and fine as it is, I really like the new Camaro. The Cam's rear visibility, however, is a problem for safe driving, and the convertible even moreso. The Challenger is just as bad or worse. As said above, too bad Ford has relegated the V-6 to the bottom drawer. Time and hundreds of thousands of miles will determine if the Eco4 is a reliable engine.
cheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I imagine its just to keep sales coming in for the eco and GT models
if you option out the base model it would keep less people from spending the extra sticker for the GT
2013GTpremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

For me the blind spot mirrors on my car have completely eliminated blind spots. I still double check but I'm curious why not all cars have this as standard. Not sure if the new camaro has them..

Old 10-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

remember Ford wanted to drop the V6 altogether....it was the rental companies (or so I read) that said they wanted it. the pricing point MAY be set on EPA #'s. Old school and prefer simplicity of V6 over turbo 4 at what are close performance numbers.

+1 on side mirrors!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

just noticed writing.........
Old 10-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vystrel View Post
For me the blind spot mirrors on my car have completely eliminated blind spots. I still double check but I'm curious why not all cars have this as standard. Not sure if the new camaro has them..

x2

I was worried about moving from the fishbowl-level visibility in my old sedan to the Mustang's more closed off coupe with small windows, but the blind spot mirrors eradicated any discomfort or feeling of unawareness on the road. I don't want to own any car without them now.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Agreed. The blind spot mirrors are great; every new car should have them.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The new Camaro should sell well and the competition is fantastic. Without the competition from Dodge and mainly GM, the current mustang would be stuck with a 4.6 engine and maybe 335 HP. Personally, I think the Camaro looks fantastic from the front and rear. The side profile is fine however from the side it shares a very similar look to the S550. Strictly from a side profile. Not the rear or front.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Its just like them boasting that they are still using steel for their trucks while Ford is using aluminum. In a few years they are going to realize it and switch over and then boast about how they were the originals and how they do it the best.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Its just like them boasting that they are still using steel for their trucks while Ford is using aluminum. In a few years they are going to realize it and switch over and then boast about how they were the originals and how they do it the best.

You are right that GM is probably doing research right now on how to switch...........but their bear commercial where the poor guy can chose a steel cage or an aluminum one to shield himself is a CLASSIC!
And, what the heck is "Military Grade" aluminum anyway? Kind of silly of Ford to call it that..........still, way ahead of its time and waiting for the other trucks to catch up.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:35 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
GM already is moving to all aluminum. 2019 is their target year Iirc. The "all steel" thing is just a marketing campaign aimed at dumbasses.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:38 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

If they fix the visibility issues by the time I get a new car I will probably own a Camaro.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:58 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
If they fix the visibility issues by the time I get a new car I will probably own a Camaro.
If you drive them back to back, the visibility issue becomes paramount. That they look so completely different, front, back, side, top and interior makes it simply a contest of taste. Driving the Camaro is a little like driving a tank and looking out through the gun slots. It borders on the dangerous, and the new windows looks even smaller than the last version.
Although I expect the new Camaro to outhandle the Mustang perhaps by a significant amount, if you can't see the apex, it doesn't really matter.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:06 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
If you drive them back to back, the visibility issue becomes paramount. That they look so completely different, front, back, side, top and interior makes it simply a contest of taste. Driving the Camaro is a little like driving a tank and looking out through the gun slots. It borders on the dangerous, and the new windows looks even smaller than the last version.
Although I expect the new Camaro to outhandle the Mustang perhaps by a significant amount, if you can't see the apex, it doesn't really matter.
That has been my one complaint about them since their rerealese.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

And from the newest Car and Driver road test of the new SS:

But we’re getting ahead of ourselves. That styling—with its narrow slits for side windows, fat C-pillar, and short rear glass—has, indeed, done nothing to improve the outward visibility in this new car. It is abysmal. We adjusted to it, partly by accelerating hard before performing lane changes just to clear some room. Adjust your mirrors carefully. The interior of the Ford Mustang feels ballroom-spacious by comparison.

But that is the ONLY thing negative they had to say. The new SS is a 1/2 second quicker to 60 mph (@3.9 seconds) than the GT and a full second quicker in the 1/4 mile.....OUCH!
We are going to get our rears kicked in comparative road tests, folks.....even the GT 350 is not (I think) going to be this quick, is it?
Old 10-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
And, what the heck is "Military Grade" aluminum anyway? Kind of silly of Ford to call it that...........
old enuf to remember Retsyn.......
Old 10-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
old enuf to remember Retsyn.......
Or old enough to remember the theme song for Gillette's Friday Night Fights?

Old 10-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Personally, I think the Mustang, Charger, Challenger and Camaro (and others) have visibility issues. It's just that the Camaro is worse.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah definitely the worst out of all of them in my experience.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
You are right that GM is probably doing research right now on how to switch...........but see their bear commercial where the poor guy can chose a steel cage or an aluminum one to shield himself is a CLASSIC!
And, what the heck is "Military Grade" aluminum anyway? Kind of silly of Ford to call it that..........still, way ahead of its time and waiting for the other trucks to catch up.
Well, if GM can make paint stick to aluminum (unlike Ford), that would be a huge selling point for me. But they do need to improve the visibility in the Camaro... yesterday.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I know it's not quite the same but (in my Charger) I have really learned to love the blind spot visual warnings in my side mirrors in particular, the audible sound when you hit your directional, when a car is there.
I don't know how many cars have the audible but I think it's great. It's a super fast heads up alert.
I believe the new Mustangs have added the blind spot warning in the side mirrors this year but failed to have an audible sound associated with it. This would make a great mod that vendors should offer, to add the audible, that is.
I think you really have to experience it to fully appreciate it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:15 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I know it's not quite the same but (in my Charger) I have really learned to love the blind spot visual warnings in my side mirrors in particular, the audible sound when you hit your directional, when a car is there.
I don't know how many cars have the audible but I think it's great. It's a super fast heads up alert.
I believe the new Mustangs have added the blind spot warning in the side mirrors this year but failed to have an audible sound associated with it. This would make a great mod that vendors should offer, to add the audible, that is.
I think you really have to experience it to fully appreciate it.
The flashing orange light in the new Mustang's mirror that goes on every time there is a vehicle in your blind spot (works for motorcycles too) is pretty bright...........and if you are planning on changing lanes, you should be looking in that direction anyway,
If the audible warning would only come on when you turn on the blinkers and moving more than 10 mph, that might be OK.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Having spent a day at the track flogging new camaro's, 4,6,ss, as well as 3 versions of corvette, mustang(including gt350), and challenger I can tell you this much in summary:

Corvette spanks that *** in straights and twisties and has my vote for the most enjoyable cruiser. If you have 115k.

Gt350 was a distant second but it was dead even in the ywisties and it was pure fun

Hellcat was monstrous in the straights, brutal in the twisties and overall not that much fun..too much work

Camaro ss FELT very fast but big, could never be sure of its footing in the twisties maybe this was bc of the small windows. But if felt GOOD to drive like firing up a muscle car and it was faster by a car in the straight than the mustang gt

Mustang gt was just fun, not best at anything but it fit like a glove. Simple easy controlled.

Camaro 4, underpowered junk. Sluggish and just never "came on" and btw lost to every other car there in every test...by alot

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

WOW!............that is great information! How did you get in a position to drive all these great cars?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion