Driving the Mustang on a Road Course - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
Region: Florida
Driving the Mustang on a Road Course

I'm relatively new here, I have a 2014 Mustang GT convertible (I live in Florida) but have been looking at the new 302's as a possible next option, or a Laguna Seca 302 Boss or GT500 from 2013 (I believe that was the last year).

I spent 8 years racing with SCCA in the early 2000's (the turn of the century) but my track race car was a Mazda RX7 with 165hp so not really a comparison to these beasts. I had a lot of success with the RX7, specifically in 12 and 13 hour endurance races but alas the economy has dictated that I have my driving fun now comes at the expense of unwitting drivers on the streets of America and an occassional Drivers Education day at Sebring.

I'm having fun with my Mustang GT at track events with Porsche Club of America where I'm a driving instructor and I started out driving a base Boxster back in 1998.

I took the Mustang to Sebring for my first track event and the first day out I blew out the drivers side rear wheel seal during my third session. Has anyone seen this weakness? I haven't modified the rear drivetrain at all but I do have the Brembo brake package and I had high temp brake fluid put into the system before the event, other than that it was completely stock. Ford repaired the seal under warrantee, and I've also had the front struts replaces as I was having quite a bit of noise coming from the front struts anytime I went over a speed bump. The Ford Dealer mentioned this was a known issue with the 2014 Mustangs, anyone else have that problem?

For modifications I mentioned the upgrade brake package I had put on as an off the line option, and I believe that included a slightly different differential. I was very surprised at the poor shift action that came with the stock 6-speed so I put in an MGW short shifter and that has improved shifting substantially, though I'm still not really happy with the gear shift points, I suppose I'd need to modify the gear ratios to improve that but curious if anyone has a relatively simple change to improve the shift points or is it just a matter of getting used to the current set up?

I've also added Aeroforce Dual Interceptor gauges and am looking at suspension upgrades unless as i mentioned above I go for something completely new. Any other experiences with track events I'd be interested in hearing about.

Thanks to anyone that might be interested in any discussion on actually driving the cars! Don't get me wrong I'm grateful for those that love to dress them up, I just prefer to drive them til they drop!

Chris Brubaker - Tampa Florida
cbrubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Texas
I'm with you man, I want to take mine to the road courses. I plan on getting my SCCA license within the next year or two. The first couple of mods I have planned are all aimed at improving suspension and braking. I plan on going with coilovers, watts link, forged wheels with Hoosier r6 tires, Carbotech brake pads, and some other supporting mods like LCAs. I don't have many plans for engine upgrades, but I also want to eventually do a swap to a T56 Magnum XL tranny because I hate the MT-82.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion