Test drove 16 Ecoboost premium - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Test drove 16 Ecoboost premium

I wanted to give my impressions on a 16 Ecoboost premium automatic I test drove yesterday with my wife. 2016 EB auto, premium, non PP, ruby red, 18" wheels.
First, let me say that I went into this wanting to be impressed and hoping I could come away with some honest respect for the new motor. * I originally had one ordered with a huge cash deposit but backed out in favor of an S197 5.0, first a 2011 and now a 2014. The front end design on the S550 had me wavering and after a test in the older models 5.0, I switched...plus, tired of the order process wait.
I was genuinely very underwhelmed with the 2.3 Turbo power and overall feel as a Mustang. I felt that my wife's 13 Fusion 2.0T was very similar in power and fun factor but the Mustang felt much heavier. I was glad I didn't go through with my original plan having never drove an S550, let alone the EB. As a daily driver of a 5.0 manual, I realize that I'm already biased and used to the torque and sound but I promise, my mindset yesterday was to come away as a EB supporter.
Halfway during the test, about 15 miles, my wife and I switched places so she could drive and the car smelled like it was toast! Like, someone forgot to put oil in it! I didn't push it like a maniac and the temp gauge read normal but it smelled like I fried it. Maybe that's just brand new car smell.

** I WAS impressed with the new interior (this was a premium). However, I missed regular simple climate controls. The nose felt extra long. The feel of the ride was a vast improvement. The looks inside and out are nice (except my own perception of the front design) but it has a very low and wide stance type look in person.
I left with the definite thought that if I couldn't have a new Mustang someday with the 5.0, I certainly would opt for the V6 over the new EB motor. (If that's even an option).
* Also, I'm not a fan of this but this chassis just feels like it is prime for a 3.5 twin turbo like the SHO, Explorer sport etc. I would miss the 5.0 for sure, but there's just something about the car in general that would blend well with that sort of power plant.
I know there's much talk of how much potential the EB 2.3 has and mods will make it a Coyote killer etc but I felt like I wouldn't want to risk putting any more stress and strain on the engine to begin with.
If you get the chance, drive one! Great daily driver perhaps...but not the experience I had hoped for. I felt like I was being good to the environment, not my giggle maker.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
have you driven the V6 in either era? Just wondering I thought your review was fair.

I had the Fusion 2.0T for a week rental and was impressed by that, it didn't snap your head but quickly you were doing 80+
Old 11-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No, not a Mustang with the V6 but I did have a 14 Taurus with Fords NA 3.5 and the power and sound was quite nice. I imagine the 3.7 is even better.
I'm not a 4 turbo hater. I absolutely am impressed every time I drive my wife's Fusion and my previous cars include a few Saab 2.0Ts. (I am however a hater of riceing out a 4T)
For sure, in this chassis, the EB motor really felt inadequate and far from impressive to me.
I would even say that if given the choice of a brand new S550 EB or a different car completely, I wouldn't even look at the S550.
Not that it matters but I would lean towards a 2 or 3 year old MB C250 Coupe, or even BMW 320i in the same price range.
Both of those have small 4 turbos and I've driven them. I was way more wowed with the overall drive and experience with those, not powerhouses for sure but in the same price point, a much better feeling as a whole for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I don't know why Ford has minimized the current V6 offerings for the Mustang the way that they have, with the V6 not available with ANY options and only as a rental bottom feeder.
If they ever are going to transition to a dual turbo V6 (which would make a GREAT engine in the Stang!!), it would seem to make more sense for the current V6 to be the "middle" engine in the lineup, like the Camaro does.......and make the V6 available with all of the chassis and interior options......like the Camaro does.
Heck, even the next Raptor and the new GT 40 are going to be dual turbo V6's with, respectfullly 500 and 600 HP. Although Ford has said differently ("We are committed to the V8 in the Mustang")..........I think that the top engine NEEDS to be a high revving, high HP, torque curve monster, dual turbo V6!
The little 2.3 EB in a Mustang is the answer to a question that no one is currently asking. I kind of like not being able to see the ground on each side of the engine when I open the hood of my 5.0......
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It's the only engine in the Expedition now also. And like I said, I'm a real fan of the V8 in my current 14 GT but this new Mustang certainly felt like Fords 3.5 V6 twin turbo would be a beautiful fit.
On paper, the 2.3 EB motor may seem more than enough but when I actually drove it, it felt barely adequate and certainly not muscle car in any way.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #6

Region: Texas
Turbo Stang

I currently have a 2014 Mustang GT Premium with intake, suspension and exhaust mods. This is my SEVENTH Mustang GT in my life (just turned 70 and will DIE a GEARHEAD) Mine is an auto and I'm satisfied with it, except I put 20's on it with Nitto 555's, 255/40x20 front and 275/40x20 rears. Traction is a BIG issue...I am considering going with Drag Radials in the rear. I can't play with ANYONE from a dig without going up in smoke??!!
My wife has a 2013 Escape SEL with the 2.0 Turbo Motor. We are BOTH absolutely happy with that car. I would own one myself. I goes like stink, handles well and is a hoot to drive. But......I have ALWAYS owed HOT cars (had 83 cars in my lifetime) and enjoy the Coyote Motor. Will probably replace my 14 with a something else, once this airbag fiasco dies down. They don't even have a PART NUMBER to fix my Mustang yet, so who knows how long it will be. I hear stories of people not even being able to trade their Fords that have the Airbag issue for something else.
They fixed the wife's car a month ago. WTF Ford. I had an Infiniti G37s Coupe prior to my present car and it was AWESOME. The 330 HP felt almost as good as the Stang.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Just putting this out there (picture)

I as well drove a EB4 Premium model but it was a manual. Just felt like a bit too much lag for me, would hit the gas and have to wait and then it crept up on me. I guess i'm a bit used to a V8 with 4.10s and a cable throttle set up. Interior i did absolutely love though.

I honestly did have more fun in the Focus ST than the Mustang EB4... But they are completely different cars, so its not really a good comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 2.58.53 PM.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	193294  

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Test drove 16 Ecoboost premium

I drove the ecoboost Mustang as well and I was shocked at how poor it felt. I think the problem with the ecoboost v6 is the fact it really does not get any better gas mileage than the v8 and would not help the fuel mileage averages. My company truck is an F150 with the 5.0 and they also bought an ecoboost F150 for Someone else at the same time. When both of the trucks were new they felt remarkably similar power wise but after 40,000 miles that 5.0 has loosened up and feels faster while the V6 has loosened and feels slower. Ecoboost overall mileage 18.5 and the 5.0 is 17.5

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I will put it out there that when i drove the car it was on a mini Autocross course, but we couldn't really get on it much, so if i had it out in the open and could give it the run around then i might have a different opinion.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
are there any differences between 15 model and 16? I can't tell any significant difference just from exterior. Haven't got chance to test drive 16 Ecoboost yet. 15 was pretty good, decent power and light head
weiyuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiyuhan View Post
are there any differences between 15 model and 16? I can't tell any significant difference just from exterior. Haven't got chance to test drive 16 Ecoboost yet. 15 was pretty good, decent power and light head
There is a MASSIVE difference between the 2015 and the 2016......................ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............they added blinkers in the hood extractor vents!!!!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

UyI really urge any of you with a current S197 with a V6 or V8, even those of you with the 4.0 and 4.6 that are considering the EB S550 as an upgrade, to take an extended test drive in one. Especially if it's non PP and automatic.
Don't kid yourself or drink the koolaide that it has huge potential and with mods (Major mods) it's on par with a Coyote. Maybe for 500 miles before it blows up...:/
I sincerely wanted this car to surprise me and allow me to back up EB owners claims that its no joke. Well, it was a nice car in general, a nice daily driver, refined and much improved in looks, materials, design, comfort etc...BUT. It's not going to satisfy you, not if you've had a GT or V6.
This isn't a bastard Mustang, I'm not hating just because of a turbo or engine displacement, It simply is was it is....and isn't.

Check out this unhappy EB owner...Blown engine http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35826
Old 11-11-2015, 12:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The real problem with the Ecoboost is that it's "Eco *or* Boost". I know it's a bit of an overused term here, but it's absolutely true. If you rev it hard, it moves like the V6, but if you want to cruize around, it runs like a 4. In a 3600 lb car. It goes from OK to gutless and back to OK with an odd dual personality.

The V6 is very predictable and straightforward to drive. With manual, it's simple and easy to predict what it will do at any moment. Especially in turns when you downshift. The Ecoboost loads up the suspension like normal, you downshift, and then there's a turbo-bump almost like Porsche. It just feels... off. Not like a muscle car.

If you don't like the interior of the V6 spend $1-2K over at your Mustang mod shop/website and customize it far better than the factory accessories. The V6 is definitely the better option.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Check out this unhappy EB owner...Blown engine http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35826[/QUOTE]

Dollars to Donuts his mods blew the engine. If there was easy and safe horsepower to squeeze out of the Ecoboost Ford would have done it. They wanted to impress people with this motor and boosted as much as they could reliably. It's possible to get a lot more power but you have to do some engine work either proactively or reactively as looks to be what he'll be doing here.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

Dollars to Donuts his mods blew the engine. If there was easy and safe horsepower to squeeze out of the Ecoboost Ford would have done it. They wanted to impress people with this motor and boosted as much as they could reliably. It's possible to get a lot more power but you have to do some engine work either proactively or reactively as looks to be what he'll be doing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution[/QUOTE]

This is the gospel truth on the Ecoboost that people don't talk about.
YES you can mod it to be an absolute rocket from hell... But for how long and what happens to your brand new car when all the extra power isn't what it was built for?
But then they say, "oh no, Ford Built it to handle all that with that in mind and just sold it with less power as stock to market this secret Eco beast sleeper"
Yeah.....I'm not buying that theory
Old 11-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

I'm not buying that his mods did that. The engine was a duck from day one,

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I'm not buying that his mods did that. The engine was a duck from day one,

Do you know this guy or have additional information?

Old 11-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Just saying that I doubt the mods did that. Plenty of modded eb4s out there doing fine.

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
Dollars to Donuts his mods blew the engine. If there was easy and safe horsepower to squeeze out of the Ecoboost Ford would have done it. They wanted to impress people with this motor and boosted as much as they could reliably.

Yeah I'm calling BS on this...

No manufacturer will build a motor and run it to its limits from the factory. It causes reliability issues and they will shell out more replacing motors under warranty than they would have spent making it stronger. If the EB motor in the mustang is so close to the limit the. Why don't we hear about any of the other EB vehicles blowing their motors?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Dollars to Donuts his mods blew the engine. If there was easy and safe horsepower to squeeze out of the Ecoboost Ford would have done it. They wanted to impress people with this motor and boosted as much as they could reliably.

Yeah I'm calling BS on this...

No manufacturer will build a motor and run it to its limits from the factory. It causes reliability issues and they will shell out more replacing motors under warranty than they would have spent making it stronger. If the EB motor in the mustang is so close to the limit the. Why don't we hear about any of the other EB vehicles blowing their motors?[/QUOTE]

I don't understand your point here they didn't push it to its limits at the factory. But if you increase the boost YOU are then pushing it to its limits. Most people buying ecoboosts aren't buying them for max performance it's more for fuel mileage and daily driving. You don't think if Ford could have just turned the boost higher with no ill effects on long term reliability they wouldn't have wanted to claim a few more ponies on the specs?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

No motor is built without a lot more power being capable! Sure! It gives some tolerance and a level of assurance that it won't bring warranty claim revenue loss as much as is possible.
But they're also not building them FOR the increases added by the customer that would also include additional tolerance on top of that.

It's like thinking my Fusion 2.0 turbo is the performance version compared to the 1.5 four cylinder without a turbo or the 2.5 non turbo. Therefore Ford made it to handle even more than stock power as a rule... Because ...you sure could make it a 10 second car with bigger turbo, tune and all kinds of mods. But I don't really think my Fusion was secretly engineered for that and I certainly expect that it would not last long before major issues occur.

The EB Mustang is just not the game changing, huge potential rocket that people are claiming Ford engineered it to be but just sold it as a sleeper gas sipper.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

What I'm saying is what he is saying above they are not building in double tolerance. Why would they?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion