Insurance to cover mods - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Insurance to cover mods

I was dropped by Geico for having too many mods. I made the mistake of trying to get them covered by them. I am with Progressive and they cover a little as part of the policy. I, as allot of us have, dumped a ton into this car. Does ANYONE know where I can get coverage that would actually cover what I have into it? Or where I can get coverage to supplement the regular coverage. Really just dont want to be out everything if i get in accident or stolen. Seems to be pretty easy if you have another car.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Insurance to cover mods

You might try Hagerty. I called them to for quotes on my classics. Then I asked them about my Roush. They said they'd cover all the Roush parts on it, my current insurance doesn't cover the Roush parts. Hagerty said they would. So you might try to give them a call.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

thanks man I will try that. I did but as whole car so maybe just parts good idea.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What do all you guys with daily drivers do? I am starting to really get up there and getting aweful worried about just flushing all the money down if get in wreck.
Geico - dropped me
Grundy - No
Hagerty - No
American Modern - No
American Collector - No
Condon Skelly - No
Old 11-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

I have all my stuff covered by Geico. But have you also checked Allstate?
Old 11-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
A lot depends on how you phrase it. If you have 10 k in your car most insurance companies will not cover your car plus the 10 k for normal market rates for the car. But I would ask if you can buy an additional 10 k in coverage. It will cost you more per month which it should since your getting insured for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

I spend $2 more a month and get all my cosmetics and such covered. Heck, even my altered interior which I swapped from Base to Premium. Through Geico though. I didn't tell them I had $50,000 (in reality I don't have nearly this much) in mods. I just gave the guy a list of stuff I added, he went through it with his manager, and they added it to my coverage.

Now I don't have a supercharger or a bagged suspension. I do have gears and headers though. And they did cover my new wheels. So that was good.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I spend $2 more a month and get all my cosmetics and such covered. Heck, even my altered interior which I swapped from Base to Premium. Through Geico though. I didn't tell them I had $50,000 (in reality I don't have nearly this much) in mods. I just gave the guy a list of stuff I added, he went through it with his manager, and they added it to my coverage.

Now I don't have a supercharger or a bagged suspension. I do have gears and headers though. And they did cover my new wheels. So that was good.
I told Geico about headers, driveshaft and boss intake. They dripped me and said if i wrecked and found out i had all that they might nulify policy and not pay out. Thus now through progressive but only 4000 in custom coverage

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Insurance to cover mods

15 mins could save you 15% or more on car insurance...........BUT if your car is modified you're *ucked (it's written in the fine print).

Pick your poison.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have Erie auto and home insurance. I have about $15,000 in mods. I provided photos and a list of mods with costs. I was assured that my ride would be restored to original condition including all of the mods. Perhaps it would be worth a try.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptonKnight View Post
I have Erie auto and home insurance. I have about $15,000 in mods. I provided photos and a list of mods with costs. I was assured that my ride would be restored to original condition including all of the mods. Perhaps it would be worth a try.
Don't insure in FL
Old 11-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I have Liberty Mutual and for an extra premium they will cover mods. You have to provide receipts and they will calculate the additional premium
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
When I had Progressive they covered $4-$5k on my Z28. I just had to have pictures and receipts. Same thing with my 94 GT and they also covered both of my quads since they are both fully built race quads.

Now I'm with Erie and its the same deal, receipts and pictures. Of course it adds a bit to the policy but it's mostly covered if something were to happen.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
erie insurance told me i'd only get back what the car was worth blue book without mods and they were not interested in seeing pictures or looking at the car.told me the car would have to be 25 years or older to be insured for more.if it gets totaled tomorrow then i'm out all my mods.now it stays in the garage and only gets driven every now and then.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
Don't insure in FL
Why? I live in Central Florida, and have my auto insurance through Mercury. On a "modified vehicle, I carry "exact cost" coverage. As others stated, you provide them with either receipts or web site pag9s) of modification parts installed; they provide you with an additional cost to you're policy.
However, it's a no brainer to an insurance agent to deny someone coverage for performance parts if they have a record of traffic tickets....
Old 11-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Why? I live in Central Florida, and have my auto insurance through Mercury. On a "modified vehicle, I carry "exact cost" coverage. As others stated, you provide them with either receipts or web site pag9s) of modification parts installed; they provide you with an additional cost to you're policy.
However, it's a no brainer to an insurance agent to deny someone coverage for performance parts if they have a record of traffic tickets....
this is the first real viable option. Thanks a ton. it is higher than Progressive on an apples to apples basis but may be worth it for peace of mind to be able to add the mods.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I thought Hagerty would insure anything on wheels --- especially for value. I've always thought you told them what your car was worth, how many miles a year you were going to drive, and they would give you a quote........Did they give you a reason for declining to insure your car?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I didn't even consider the fact that my mods will raise my insurance rates... ...Farmers doesn't know the car is modded, and I don't know what they'll think of it. All I know is I currently have about 1,500 dollars in mods so far, and plan another 1,400. Seeing as I'm also on my dad's insurance (I'm 16) this doesn't bode well
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Hagerty won't insure all models of newer cars. They will take the Boss and Shelby's but not the regular GT's unless they meet the minimum age requirement. Hagerty is a lot cheaper if you can get it. I just got a quote from them and will move my Boss over there after the holidays.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Insurance to cover mods

^ that's what we're doing in spring. Swapping 4 of them over. Ironically, it's cheaper with Hagerty with the cars insured for more, than with our current insurance.

Pick your poison.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The only problem with Hagerty is you have to pay a full years premium in full. That's why I'm waiting until after Christmas I don't want that premium rolling around every December right before Xmas. My next renewal is in February anyway so I'll do it then.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion