Lowered Mustang Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Lowered Mustang Problem

I just recently lowered my 2010 Mustang GT myself with the Eibach Sportline Springs as well as the J&M Adjustable Camber Plates. The install went fine with a friends help and heard no noise at all once I was done. A couple of days after I went to a local shop to have my alignment done and a day after I started hearing a "clunk" noise on the driver side. Every time I hit a little bump or big bump at any speed I would hear it and then I don't. It happens only when I hit a bump. I went back to my alignment shop and they checked the vehicle and made sure everything was tight and in spec. The issue was still there which is when I went to another shop to have them inspect my suspension. They told me everything was normal and they made sure everything was tighten up good. I am now still having the same issue. I called American Muscle and they were not able to help me. I am not sure what it can be. I still have the stock Shocks at 58K miles but seems odd to me that it is only the driver side. I am not sure if maybe something is defective or not. At this point I am not sure what to do and i'm helping someone here can help me out.
phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Noise on ft or rear? Exh. Hitting rear diff?
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
My guess is the strut mount is bad on that side.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
My guess is the strut mount is bad on that side.

That or sway bar end link would be my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No the noise that I am hearing is on the front driver side. I was able to push up on my driver side fender and was able to hear the noise. I am not sure what it can as its only that one side.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Did you use an impact wrench to tighten the nut in the top of the strut? If not it could be loose.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Old 12-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobik View Post
No the noise that I am hearing is on the front driver side. I was able to push up on my driver side fender and was able to hear the noise. I am not sure what it can as its only that one side.

I am willing to bet it's just the strut mount is bad. These things are one time use, sometimes you can get away with re using but often times they fall apart on ya. So what you are actually hearing is not the strut being loose but the part it is bolted too where all the ball bearings are has gone bad (probably missing some of the ball bearings)

If I were you I would get some GT500 strut mounts. They should be a direct fit on your car. These will eliminate that noise.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I am willing to bet it's just the strut mount is bad. These things are one time use, sometimes you can get away with re using but often times they fall apart on ya. So what you are actually hearing is not the strut being loose but the part it is bolted too where all the ball bearings are has gone bad (probably missing some of the ball bearings)

If I were you I would get some GT500 strut mounts. They should be a direct fit on your car. These will eliminate that noise.

I was looking into the Koni Strut Mounts because I believe they are for lowered vehicles and I did drop mine pretty low. I do believe it can be the struts but for some reason I believe it could be the bearing as well. Do these come with the struts or is this something I buy separate? I won't be able to buy struts until after Christmas

Old 12-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The strut mounts contain the bearings. They sit between the strut and the strut tower.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
That or sway bar end link would be my guess.

It actually was the sway bar link and it keeps getting loose that I have to tighten it every once in a while. Is it possible it's gone bad?

Old 03-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
It actually was the sway bar link and it keeps getting loose that I have to tighten it every once in a while. Is it possible it's gone bad?

Possibly yes. Cheap and easy to replace.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Sway bar end links are infamous on these cars for this. Seems like you have it tightened all the way and itll still find a way to make noise. Either tighten them or get new ones if they keep doing it over and over
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion