Whats the deal with expensive machs and 99-01 cobras now? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Whats the deal with expensive machs and 99-01 cobras now?

Hi,

A few years ago I traded my 99 cobra, (I wouldve kept but the thing was litterally falling apart)

After I got my 03 350z auto in a trade in 2013 and driving it, I sold it because I recently found out the mileage was 250k when I got it and not 103k as the title and odometer had reported.......... Thanks carfax for reporting this 3 years after I ran the carfax...

Anyways, I bought a cheap 99 jeep, and transmission blew.. thanks Craig's list.

So I've had enough, I want to get back in the mustang again and would prefer a 99,01 cobra, 03.04 mach 1 or a 2005+gt manual only.

So I start on craigslist, every. Single. One. Is. Over 9k lmao.

99 cobra with ONLY 175k miles for just 8000

Or the 2003 mach 1 with 142k for 10000.

2005 mustang gt 155k miles for 11000.

I've only been away from the mustang market for a couple of years. What the hell happened to make every single car I look at rise at least 3-4k than its worth.

Than I find a 03 mach 1 with 107k miles for only 7k but the catch is it's only 700 miles to the west of me.

Can anyone point me in the direction to get back in a stang please 😤
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

4Vs are starting to appreciate now. That and the people who have "high" mileage ones think they're still worth the same as a pristine low mileage counterpart.
If you want a good deal then be prepared if the car is far from you. My car was 1,300 miles away from me. Another thing don't buy the first "good" deal you find. Just wait for a little while and a great deal will present itself. And it might be 500, 700, or 1300 miles away. We live in a large country.
Personally, I use eBay for watch values on cars among a few other websites. Don't look on just one website.
A member of the forum, scottydoesntknow, has stated numerous times that SVTP has good deals.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
4Vs are starting to appreciate now. That and the people who have "high" mileage ones think they're still worth the same as a pristine low mileage counterpart.
If you want a good deal then be prepared if the car is far from you. My car was 1,300 miles away from me. Another thing don't buy the first "good" deal you find. Just wait for a little while and a great deal will present itself. And it might be 500, 700, or 1300 miles away. We live in a large country.
Personally, I use eBay for watch values on cars among a few other websites. Don't look on just one website.
A member of the forum, scottydoesntknow, has stated numerous times that SVTP has good deals.

Pick your poison.
Thanks! But may I ask how one is suppose to go about 1300 miles for a car? I find it bothersome going 2 hours for a car much less anything over 3-4. I did see a while back a 03 azure blue mach with 100k for 7k firm in the town 40 minutes away from me. That's like my dream car, unfortunately the thought never crossed my mind, I was hoping to find a beater and drive it to the death, but unfortunately death comes early sometimes.

I'll check svtp, I'm still a member there from when I had my cobra. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Well, for 9 grand less than the rest, with less mileage, it was worth the trip.

Pick your poison.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I agree with Recon, there are quite a few Mach 1's and Cobra's here on the West Coast and some with very few miles that they are asking $15k to $25k for less than 1000 mile car. I bought my 03 Cobra for a good price but still twice what you are willing to pay because it was bone stock, 5500 miles and got to talk with the original owner and the guy I bought it from.......after selling my 14 TrakPak.
I always look on a lot of different websites for cars.........remember there are a lot people on this website and if you found a car near one of us I'm sure they would be willing to look at it for you...........if you are serious about getting a specific Mustang that's what I'd look for, then ask for help from someone on this site to make sure it's not a piece of junk.
I just had a friend ship a Z06 from Portland to Chicago for $750......there are car carriers out their if you don't want to drive...........or buy a cheap oneway ticket and drive it back.
Here is a $7000 Mach 1

Cars for Sale: 2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 in Plymouth, IN 46563: Coupe Details - 406699078 - Autotrader
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I agree with Recon, there are quite a few Mach 1's and Cobra's here on the West Coast and some with very few miles that they are asking $15k to $25k for less than 1000 mile car. I bought my 03 Cobra for a good price but still twice what you are willing to pay because it was bone stock, 5500 miles and got to talk with the original owner and the guy I bought it from.......after selling my 14 TrakPak.
I always look on a lot of different websites for cars.........remember there are a lot people on this website and if you found a car near one of us I'm sure they would be willing to look at it for you...........if you are serious about getting a specific Mustang that's what I'd look for, then ask for help from someone on this site to make sure it's not a piece of junk.
I just had a friend ship a Z06 from Portland to Chicago for $750......there are car carriers out their if you don't want to drive...........or buy a cheap oneway ticket and drive it back.
Here is a $7000 Mach 1

Cars for Sale: 2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 in Plymouth, IN 46563: Coupe Details - 406699078 - Autotrader
Thanks. Yeah I'm definitely looking for either a mach 1, cobra, or a 05+gt manual. As far as that link you attached, that's a real bad pass off as a mach 1. Looks like it has the 4v engine, but the seats, wheels and even the shaker isn't there. I don't even think that's a factory color on a mustang lol. Thanks though,
Old 12-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Found this on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/262187487978

Pick your poison.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I think the Boss 302 will be similarly valued in the future. I was actually looking for a Mach 1 or Termi and came across my Boss. It will depreciate but will hold a strong value. Not too bad buying a car for 35k enjoy the hell out of it for 10 years and then being able to get 25k for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Everybody loves the Boss.

Pick your poison.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
A friend who has a 12 Boss LS and I were slightly amused about how stupid people have gotten about the Boss cars. A '13 boss, non LS with 45,000 miles just sold at a local dealer for $48,000...

That same dealer tried to get me to buy a Mach 1 with 70,000 on the clock for $24,000 (and they got every cent of that). It sucks living in a military town, everything is ridiculously overpriced.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

That dealer is killing it! Is it one of those high risk dealers?

Old 12-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Same here. There's a trinity at my chevy dealer for 55 and a C7 Z06 for 99.
Let someone else take the Depreciation hit.

Pick your poison.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
No, Cavalier Ford in Chesapeake. Got my first 14 from them with 1.8 miles the same day they offered the mach for $6,000 less.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know what was special about that Boss but ones with much lower mileage go for between 35-40k which i don't think is too bad considering what your getting

Old 12-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
Thanks. Yeah I'm definitely looking for either a mach 1, cobra, or a 05+gt manual. As far as that link you attached, that's a real bad pass off as a mach 1. Looks like it has the 4v engine, but the seats, wheels and even the shaker isn't there. I don't even think that's a factory color on a mustang lol. Thanks though,
How about these?
I have to admit that I got my 03 Terminator for a heck of good price with 5500, now 6400 miles.

Cars for Sale: 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 in Reeds Spring, MO 65737: Coupe Details - 408703773 - Autotrader

or

Cars for Sale: 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 in Midlothian, VA 23114: Coupe Details - 386487210 - Autotrader

Cars for Sale: 1999 Ford Mustang Cobra Coupe in Appomattox, VA 24522: Coupe Details - 416061405 - Autotrader
Old 12-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! I like that red one with 50k on it for 10.750.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 in Plymouth, IN 46563: Coupe Details - 406699078 - Autotrader

Wow that car is so full of fail. It is far from a Mach 1. It looks like an older 96-98 Cobra 4V with the B heads, so definitely not the Mach1/99+ Cobra 4V. It has convertible V6 leather seats, and a cracked Saleen front bumper. Wonder what color the sky is in that guy's world.

The market has shifted slightly upwards for the older 4V cars. I honestly think the price tag of a new 5.0 is unattainable for a lot of people so they settle for an older car that still has a lot to offer. Are the fox platform 4v cars outdated compared to the S550's and even 2011+ S197's? Absolutely, but they still potential and can be a lot of fun.

I would have patience. I got my 04 Mach 1 in June of 2014 with 58k miles for
$10k. Original engine, 3650 and no tears in the seats. Only needed a good waxing and a new hood stripe decal.
I looked at several cars before I found this one, hell I almost settled for an 03 with 105k miles for $10.5k! So glad he backed out last minute (got cold feet because he originally wanted $12.5k and I worked him down to $10.5k).

I agree with Recon and others in you might have to put in a little extra effort to find that perfect car. That extra effort may include traveling to get the car. If it was September I would recommend you research my area WI/IL/MN. Many people are trying to sell cars before winter and don't want to pay for storage or literally pay on a car that is going to sit for 4-6 months. Probably missed that window now but have an open mind.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Thanks! But may I ask how one is suppose to go about 1300 miles for a car? I find it bothersome going 2 hours for a car much less anything over 3-4. I did see a while back a 03 azure blue mach with 100k for 7k firm in the town 40 minutes away from me. That's like my dream car, unfortunately the thought never crossed my mind, I was hoping to find a beater and drive it to the death, but unfortunately death comes early sometimes.

I'll check svtp, I'm still a member there from when I had my cobra. Thanks
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. Honestly I would just prefer a mach 1. Litterally my dream car would be a blue azure. My dad even drove a 69 428 mach 1 cobra jet when he was in high school.

I found a red one that's not too far with 132k 5 speed for 8500. He won't go any lower. Do you think this is a decent deal?
Old 12-16-2015, 12:15 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Ok. Honestly I would just prefer a mach 1. Litterally my dream car would be a blue azure. My dad even drove a 69 428 mach 1 cobra jet when he was in high school.

I found a red one that's not too far with 132k 5 speed for 8500. He won't go any lower. Do you think this is a decent deal?
I think 132k miles is just too many.........the red one I sent you was only $2k more and almost 80k miles less...........even though it was a few miles away.
I just can't see buying a car with that many miles unless you are going to deep six the motor or rebuild it..........along with the trans.........IMHO
Old 12-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I think 132k miles is just too many.........the red one I sent you was only $2k more and almost 80k miles less...........even though it was a few miles away.
I just can't see buying a car with that many miles unless you are going to deep six the motor or rebuild it..........along with the trans.........IMHO
+1^

You just need to be patient, deals do come up as long as you keep an eye out. I picked up my Bullitt for 10k and it only had 41k miles on it. While that seems expensive for a 2V it is supercharged and has a couple other goodies on it as well.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I looked at an 04 Auto Mach (the only Mach I'd want TBTH) with 145k on it for $8k near me back in May. I bet if I had cash in hand I could have gotten it for $6500, I would not have paid more. Car itself was in amazing shape, very well taken care of, just high miles.

Then I found the car in my sig for $5500. 34k miles, every bell and whistle, car was over $40k new in 2000. Catch is it had a blown engine. I will have $12k into it (or about that) when it is done this spring. New engine, blower cams, new wheels/tires, new intake, new tuner, new X pipe, few other small things etc...

There was another one I sometimes think I should have looked at as well before getting this 2000. It was a 95 pushrod with a full Bullitt interior swap and a Cobra T-56 and IRS and MM suspension all around. $6k for that one.

Deals are out there but you have to be ready to jump. Someone mentioned SVTP classifieds and me recommending them and YES, that is a great starting point. Last spring there was a 2001 Cobra, 44k miles, garage kept PRISTINE with suspension, exhaust, shifter and a few other small things for $12k. Car was gorgeous, needed nothing. Was located in Pittsburgh.

As far as going a long way for a car like that Cobra or if you find a deal that is really really good and exactly what you want. Get the seller to take detailed pictures of the engine bay/underbody and the rest of the car and if it looks good leave a deposit and fly out and grab it. Then drive it back.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Last comment....I've bought and sold cars all over the world and the same with car parts......if you are looking for a very specific car don't expect to find it in your backyard.....and don't just buy something because someone has sent you 100 photo's of the car........be prepared to pay for what you want and ask help from people on this forum or others...some of use have just a few years of experience and I'm sure would be willing to help for nothing....or maybe gas money.
When I sold my Model A Hot Rod in 2011 I emailed back and forth and sent pictures..........he showed up on my doorstep with a suitcase full of cash and we negotiated from there. Just remember that "cash talks and BS walks".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion