Rim Theft Deterrence and Ideas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Rim Theft Deterrence and Ideas

So I live in Miami, FL and in a decent neighborhood, KATO here on the forums knows what i'm talking about seeing as we live in the cutler bay area where it goes from nice as hell on one side of the main road (US1) and then poor as hell just 1 block in the opposite direction. My buddy lives way out west near the everglades with nice houses there too but regardless of where we live, I have seen soooo many cars on bricks (Audis, a neighbors GT3, etc) even in nice gated communities around the Miami area...which blows and is deterring me from getting some upgrades to my stock 17's.

Anyone have any thoughts on modern rim/wheel theft prevention? I was thinking about just insuring the set as its only $4 more a month with progressive on my policy for custom parts but wouldn't want to wake up rushing to get to work and find that my car's bricked

-Dont have a garage option either, open driveway
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
A couple of things come to mind. Big dogs, 12 gauge with double ott buck!
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Lmfao, I was thinking about a type of alarm that has some kind of high pitched remote. Another thought was that people like to put the car on bricks first, empty out the tire pressure and with stock suspension you can pretty much just take the nuts off and leave the car as is without a jack. So suspension could be a minor deterrence, I also heard those Gorilla nuts are just a marketing scheme, any thief with a hammer and socket can fit onto those gorilla nuts no problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I hate thieves. If they want it, it's tough to stop em. Theft deterrents are to keep honest people honest. I sure don't have any new or amazing things to tell ya about. You know the stuff that's out there. Wheel locks and such. Put up a laser fence around your car. Makes ya sick worring I know.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Fake cameras on the car

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
They make alarms that warn you based on your proximity to the car. Then you can get notices on your phone. So you can know someone is actively jacking with your shiiiit.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
They make alarms that warn you based on your proximity to the car. Then you can get notices on your phone. So you can know someone is actively jacking with your shiiiit.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year
Yeah I love setting them off with my roush, fools em into full blown alarm on rofl

I know there's alarms but was wondering if there is some mechanically functional piece besides gorilla nuts but I doubt it
Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Check out fobo tire Bluetooth

Old 01-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
Check out fobo tire Bluetooth

That looks nifty as heck, never heard of that one!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
Supporter

Region: Texas
Viper has some alarm options. I have yet to get my security setup (5806V) installed. My basic 2 way remote start (4806V) has been good so far. As your car being a manual I will refrain from suggesting a kit with remote start.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Your wasting your money on locking wheel nuts. I know a guy that with a small chisel and good sized hammer, can pop one off in less than 5 seconds. While he pops them off, another guy puts a jack under and up, concrete block under and power drill pops them off and the rims is his. I saw him take a bet and in less than 3 minutes all the rims were his. Good thing this guy worked for a tire shop, instead of working at stealing others.

His best advice keep it insured and get an alarm that has a proximity switch. When someone gets to close, it reminds them they are too close. Some alarm systems these days will let you program your own message. A thief won't take the chance of stealing your rims or car, when the car next door has no alarm.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Your wasting your money on locking wheel nuts. I know a guy that with a small chisel and good sized hammer, can pop one off in less than 5 seconds. While he pops them off, another guy puts a jack under and up, concrete block under and power drill pops them off and the rims is his. I saw him take a bet and in less than 3 minutes all the rims were his. Good thing this guy worked for a tire shop, instead of working at stealing others.

His best advice keep it insured and get an alarm that has a proximity switch. When someone gets to close, it reminds them they are too close. Some alarm systems these days will let you program your own message. A thief won't take the chance of stealing your rims or car, when the car next door has no alarm.
Yeah for $4 extra a month to cover $2500 wheel and tire set is nothing, any personal recommendations on manufactures? Viper has a good setup I heard but from what i know the costs goes up significantly with labor and the additional features of the alarm package.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
A garage, that's pretty much the only way and even then unless you are willing to legit blow someone away who breaks in they still might make off with some stuff.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post
Yeah for $4 extra a month to cover $2500 wheel and tire set is nothing, any personal recommendations on manufactures? Viper has a good setup I heard but from what i know the costs goes up significantly with labor and the additional features of the alarm package.
Viper makes some great alarm systems. What you have to watch for, some companies will really talk up the alarms they have in stock, hoping your purchase them, they can get it out of their inventory. One was telling my about this great system that would even notify me if I was on the other side of the world on vacation. Yep, thanks but no thanks. Since I keep in the garage, I haven't looked at alarms any more. I do have a Viper System on my old DD. Works great and only once did someone try to get into my car. One pull of the door handle and he was elbows and ******** heading down the road.

Check with your insurance company, some will give you a discount because of the alarm.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
my .02

a full set of locking nuts (all 20 lock) will deter junkies...an alarm will deter shy thieves. Nothing will stop the pros. I bought a set of the Gorilla's and installed an alarm. Something outside the box: engrave your phone#/name on the inside edge. It won't stop anyone but at least they'll get less $ for them.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Not a whole lot you can do.

The thieves usually just follow you home, Once they see where you live they start making plans. If you do have a garage and they do want your wheels, They break into the Garage to get them.
If you do have an alarm and they want the wheels bad enough they just take a long drill bit and drill through the battery.
If you do get an alarm, Get one that has it's own battery power. Not great but better then plugged into the cars battery.

If they are like a Midnight auto sales and already have taken the order for your particular wheels and really want them to fill the order, They just follow you and hi-jack your car.

I think """[B]ALL""" Thieves, when caught in the act should be executed. No trial, No lawyers, No second chance, Just take them out and shoot them.

I once had a 1969 Z-28 with a grumpy Bill reworked engine that was stolen. I have hated any kind of thief ever sense.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
The thieves in Florida are quite ambitious.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

We have the best there is. Miami is a place that is a short boat ride to Cuba and car parts are not only needed there but wanted. From Cuba they can ship anyplace in the world. It is a huge business. Miami ships out way more containers then can ever be checked for content. The only place in America that ships out more containers is New Jersey.
You may slow down or stop the casual car or parts thief but your not going to stop the Professional no matter what you do if they have an order for parts or a whole car.

Like I said, Thieves need to be exterminated, First offence, No second chance, Maybe only then can it stop them.
Ronnie
Old 01-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Where there's a will there's a way.

I wouldn't go much farther than a proximity alarm and insurance if you think they're likely to be stolen. The alarm will deter most thieves alone, but the ones that really want them will get them. As long as you're not getting some insanely expensive rims, I think the alarm will be good enough. The insurance is just for peace of mind.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Great advice from StormTrooperV6

Being in Florida, and having a permit, I do keep a handy Dandy deterrent to stop a car jacker from driving Red Ryder away leaving me on the street to walk home.
Ronnie
Old 01-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
my .02

a full set of locking nuts (all 20 lock) will deter junkies...an alarm will deter shy thieves. Nothing will stop the pros. I bought a set of the Gorilla's and installed an alarm. Something outside the box: engrave your phone#/name on the inside edge. It won't stop anyone but at least they'll get less $ for them.
That will help the police and you, if someone does get your rims. No identifying information and the thief will go free, as he doesn't have to prove there his. But if you record your information, when you report it to the police, good chance you will get them back and the thief will go to jail!
Old 01-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said, garage, dogs, house alarm, car alarm, and a 12 gauge and you happen to be home when the person is trying to break in is pretty much the only way to stop someone super determined. And the smart ones will not do it when someone is home. I believe homeowners insurance will cover a theft if the car is secured in the garage. Or just carry full coverage.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I believe homeowners insurance will cover a theft if the car is secured in the garage. Or just carry full coverage.
Depending on the policy if the garage is a permanent structure, defined 'garage' as, in a stupid sense, 4 poles with a tarp over it, moreover -- carport, then yeah homeowners policies typically would cover that.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
You may slow down or stop the casual car or parts thief but your not going to stop the Professional no matter what you do if they have an order for parts or a whole car.
Ronnie
And that is why Forgestars are out of the question rofl, I'm not into rim bling, more into the tires and weight reduction for a forged set but man would it suck to lose performance sets to someone looking to make a buck when there's THIS:

http://www.vibemotorsports.com/store...-wheels-05.jpg

Down the road

Overall I got a lot of good advice, and I think the best solution is to just insure the set for an extra 4 bucks a month and then just get a proximity alarm. The car sits outside the house driveway as seen below in the picture but I live in the left side of the house (left in the picture). So something that can trigger a loud *** sound in my room a few feet away shouldn't be an issue. I guess another plus is the lighting in the picture is night lamps they just installed a few months ago on the block, no flash taken so another deterrence..but as many said, if they want em, there's no stopping a true pro thief.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Get some lugs that require a unique style key socket. Don't have any on my mustang but got some for my truck, I just keep the key in my truck so if I ever need to change a tire it is there. I'm guessing they'll cost $100-$250, pretty much what regular lugs cost.

Trevorhart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorhart3 View Post
Get some lugs that require a unique style key socket. Don't have any on my mustang but got some for my truck, I just keep the key in my truck so if I ever need to change a tire it is there. I'm guessing they'll cost $100-$250, pretty much what regular lugs cost.

That's $100-$250 down the tube. Any pro thief will have your rims off in 5-10 minutes. Like was said before, locking nuts will deter the junkies and amateurs but that's about it.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Sorry I guess I just can't believe the theft situation is so bad. Works for me, theft happens occasionally in my area but I guess they're all rookies haha

Trevorhart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Those locks are a joke.
A good battery power drill
A easy out
Lock off in 60 seconds
Old 01-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Buy base model wheels. No one wants those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
RED SNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly... if I had to live in a neighborhood where I had to worry about theft this much I'd drive something that would not be worth stealing but still nice.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #31

Region: Kansas
Alarm....with shock sensors
madmikeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Shock sensors can be avoided even in high setting. Best to just get a tilt sensor because it will go off the moment the car is lifted. Unless they use 2 jacks and take each side up evenly and simultaneously the alarm will go off.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion