Car wash vs Hand wash? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Yes! It's not cheap but it really works. I use Reload about once a month to make it dazzle!
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
Yes! It's not cheap but it really works. I use Reload about once a month to make it dazzle!
Nano, nano!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Yes! It seems to be working too. Really happy with it, if you couldn't tell. Lol!
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I bought a kit from Zaino about 10 years ago because I heard good things about it. Been using it ever since - by far the best car washing/polishing products I've ever used. A little bit goes a long way, so it lasts for quite a while.
Zaino Store

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Been using Croftagte Rinseless wash and wax along with Croftgate's waterless Aquanil X and stuff is fantastic. Mr. Pink is also great stuff from Chemical guys. Works great with my foam cannon!

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Hand wash, silicone blade and compressed air for me too. I will use a towel sparingly to dry any remaining spots. I also get away with quick detailer and microfiber in between washes if the weather is decent.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Car wash vs Hand wash?

I always hand wash/ dry mine although in the winter after the 1-2 snow storms we get in NC I'll go through a touch less wash that washes the underside of the car as well to get any salt or grime off that they treat the roads with. I also think the key is to just Keep a fresh coat of wax on it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:13 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

A good quality wax should last a good three months of protection. A good sealant should last and protect up to 6 months. I personally wouldn't take my car to a car wash and is only done by hand.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:44 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I go to a car wash,
1) because my car's already scratched up a ton by previous owner
and 2) we're not allowed to let soap and whatnot from the car run into the gutter here. I do wax the car myself, though
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
My car sit during the winter but in summer i hand wash it only .Spring i'll use mothers cleaner wax then top that of with a coat of collinite also i use lucas quick wax after i wash it
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Usually once a year I'll do a thorough wax and polish. In the interim(especially summer), I prefer to handwash it and chamois it dry. During winter and pollen season im just doing touchless. I've noticed swirl marks show up pretty easily from the automated washs on this paint.

Former:Black 2003 Mustang GT
Blkstang47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #47
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Are you sure your using a touchless car wash????
Nothing actually touches your paint to give any swirl marks.
The washes that use brushes can cause problems if the brushes are not serviced often.
Most Car washes hardly ever replace the brushes due to the expense.
Ronnie

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Are you sure your using a touchless car wash????
Nothing actually touches your paint to give any swirl marks.
The washes that use brushes can cause problems if the brushes are not serviced often.
Most Car washes hardly ever replace the brushes due to the expense.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Drive through is a no-no. Suppose that vehicle ahead of you has mud or sand on it, and your following it. That mud or sand is embedded in those washing media, result scratches. i'll hand wash mine.
rogcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #49
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

In a touchless car wash:
You don't drive through.
Procedure:
Pick the service you want ( plain wash to full boat) Usually $7.00 to $9.00
A green light will come on inside the building,
Pull up slowly until the red light comes on.
Soon after the wash will start and your car don't move but the bar squirtnf a powerfull stream will slowly spray your car.
Next is the soap
Then it is a rinse both ways
If you bought wax it will be in the rinse
If you bought it, the blow dryer is the next stop.

Your car is "NOT" touched but you will be amazed how clean it is.
No Brushes,
No scratches,

Some actually do have a brush to clean the tires but you have to get a deluxe wash for it to happen.
Ronnie
Old 01-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
In a touchless car wash:
You don't drive through.
Procedure:
Pick the service you want ( plain wash to full boat) Usually $7.00 to $9.00
A green light will come on inside the building,
Pull up slowly until the red light comes on.
Soon after the wash will start and your car don't move but the bar squirtnf a powerfull stream will slowly spray your car.
Next is the soap
Then it is a rinse both ways
If you bought wax it will be in the rinse
If you bought it, the blow dryer is the next stop.

Your car is "NOT" touched but you will be amazed how clean it is.
No Brushes,
No scratches,

Some actually do have a brush to clean the tires but you have to get a deluxe wash for it to happen.
Ronnie

Touch less can still scratch your car if you have some rough dirt stuck to your car. The powerwash from the car wash can cause it to scratch when it dislodges that dirt, causing it to slide across the car before falling to the ground.

Obviously no where near as bad as a regular brush wash, but still possible to get some, although very few, scratches.

Touchless is obviously the better alternative to minimize scratches but in my experience, it hardly cleans off my car (black). It still looks just as dirty as before it went through the wash. Especially down the sides.

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #51
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have Red Candy Metallic and so far "NO" scratches or any paint damage I can see.
I do use Croftgate Project-X and the Croftgate "Quick & Slick on my car.
Bugs and crap really don't stick to my paint job because it is really a smooth finish.

I mainly just wash it at the car wash if I drive it in the rain and it gets the road grime. I'f I'm feeling good I just hand wash it using Zaino soap.
Ronnie
Old 01-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have Red Candy Metallic and so far "NO" scratches or any paint damage I can see.
I do use Croftgate Project-X and the Croftgate "Quick & Slick on my car.
Bugs and crap really don't stick to my paint job because it is really a smooth finish.

I mainly just wash it at the car wash if I drive it in the rain and it gets the road grime. I'f I'm feeling good I just hand wash it using Zaino soap.
Ronnie
You mean rain drops touch your paint. OMG Ronnie! Your resell value just dropped!

Old 01-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Both

I do both but try and hand was as many times as I can. I may run it through an automatic if im really pressed for time but I ususally always hand wash it.
abarbu15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #54
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I hate to say this but:

Come on Eric,
You know I live in Florida and it rains at least once a day in the summer. I hand wash my car in the warm weather and just use Mario to dry it off. He soaks up the water like a sponge.
Ronnie

He ain't Kidding
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mario cool 5X7.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	196195  
Old 01-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Come on Eric,
You know I live in Florida and it rains at least once a day in the summer. I hand wash my car in the warm weather and just use Mario to dry it off. He soaks up the water like a sponge.
Ronnie

He ain't Kidding
But Ronnie, think of the resell value if rain is touching the cars paint. Ha ha ha ha.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
But Ronnie, think of the resell value if rain is touching the cars paint. Ha ha ha ha.

Not a problem! Ronnie's never selling it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Not a problem! Ronnie's never selling it.
Ha ha. Well that's great because you don't want to put in your car add that rain drops touched the paint. 😜🍌

Old 01-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #58
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Funny related story

Two weeks ago they had the big N.P.D. All Ford & Mustang show in Silver Springs Florida.
I signed up to meet The Daytona Mustang club at McDonalds at 6:30 am and drive over Rt-40 to the event.
I got up at 5:30, Walked Mario & Oscar and went to McDonalds In the foggy mist.
I got there at 6:15 and guess what???? I was alone. I waited till 6:45 and drove over my self. No traffic and a great perfect ride.
I got to Silver Springs and there were a bunch of people from the Tropical Detroit Muscle car club waiting in the staging area for meet up with Jacksonville Mustangs and a few other clubs.
The only people I seen from the Daytona Mustang club were two old people in their early 90's convertible and An old guy with his absolutely perfectly restored 69 Mach 1

It cleared up and a perfect day- Perfect weather and a great Mostly Mustang show.

It seemed that it called for rain in Daytona so nobody wanted to get their Mustangs dirty.

Here are a few pictures,
One is the staging area.
The 69 Mach 1 is my Brothers Girlfriends car
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1090220.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	196209   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090221.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	196210  

Name:	P1090223.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	909.1 KB
ID:	196211   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090227.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	196212  

Name:	P1090231.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	196213   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090233.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	196214  

Name:	P1090238.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	196215   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090236.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	196216  

Old 01-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Well I always wash by hand.... If I cant cause its too cold and theres some salt on the car.. I'll take it to the car wash.. I'm lucky enough to be able to buff out any swirls the car wash may leave.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascottg96 View Post
Do you wash your car yourself or do you take it somewhere to be wash such as a car wash? I've heard horror stories about carwashes putting dents in cars or scratching it up. Do you spend countless hours watching it, or just a 2 minute carwash can call it good?
--------------------------
It's only been through 4 carwashes since I bought it in July of 2012. Both after the American Muscle Car Shows. One before each show and one after returning from the show. THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL STATE OF PA, SEEMS THEY STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED THE ROAD REPAIRS.

Otherwise, all hand washes and hand polished.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #61
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Two weeks ago they had the big N.P.D. All Ford & Mustang show in Silver Springs Florida.

I signed up to meet The Daytona Mustang club at McDonalds at 6:30 am and drive over Rt-40 to the event.

I got up at 5:30, Walked Mario & Oscar and went to McDonalds In the foggy mist.

I got there at 6:15 and guess what???? I was alone. I waited till 6:45 and drove over my self. No traffic and a great perfect ride.

I got to Silver Springs and there were a bunch of people from the Tropical Detroit Muscle car club waiting in the staging area for meet up with Jacksonville Mustangs and a few other clubs.

The only people I seen from the Daytona Mustang club were two old people in their early 90's convertible and An old guy with his absolutely perfectly restored 69 Mach 1

It cleared up and a perfect day- Perfect weather and a great Mostly Mustang show.

It seemed that it called for rain in Daytona so nobody wanted to get their Mustangs dirty.

Here are a few pictures,

One is the staging area.

The 69 Mach 1 is my Brothers Girlfriends car

Mach is so sexy. I think it needs to come home with me. Gorgeous car.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

I wash my cars at least twice a week. I have two mustangs and an f150. I'm somewhat of a detailing freak. I use the two bucket method and blow them dry with a leaf blower. Although some of my neighbors think I'm crazy it gets the job done and cuts my time in half. Then I go over them with some detail spray buff and I'm done. They look great. But I never ever take them to a car wash.
GTgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:41 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
The only things that goes through the car wash are work rigs, the rest are hand washed.
PendletonCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:12 AM   #64

Region: Louisiana
I ran my trucks through automatic carwashes pretty regularly, and by the time I would trade them in you could see a lot of swirls and spiderwebs in the paint. Sucks for the next guy.

A few times the paint got scratched bad enough that I had to make the carwash pay for the damages. Now that I own a brand new sportscar I have no intention of running her through an autowash. Ever. Trucks were one thing. My Mustang is another. Luckily one of those high pressure self-operated "takes lots of quarters" carwashes is right down the road from me, so I should be able to keep her clean often. As much water and soap as I need as long as the quarters keep flowing.
zyncx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #65

Region: Georgia
When you wax does pollen stick more? I just washed mine Saturday and literally two seconds later pollen was piled up on my car. Smh why do I love black cars?
Keachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I go through an automatic wash. Although I'm very specific about which I go to. Both regularly change their brushes and hand dry your car after. So far, I haven't noticed any issues with my car/truck.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Since we have owned ours - neither has seen a car wash. They are washed by hand. Mine the convertible sits all winter in storage. The coupe only gets used in an emergency during the winter. We have an old Chevy S10 4 wheel drive with only 70,000 miles on it - getting more now LOL that we use when there is salt on the road or its raining/storming.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

being low and with splitters all around and such I am scared to take into a wash of any kind. always hand.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #69
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugeismo View Post
I go through an automatic wash. Although I'm very specific about which I go to. Both regularly change their brushes and hand dry your car after. So far, I haven't noticed any issues with my car/truck.
Brushes?! Ahhhhhh! Seriously though, even if they regularly change their brushes, one really bad car and everyone behind them can say hello to some new scratches.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #70

Region: South Carolina
I only hand wash mine. Everytime I go through a car wash, I've noticed it never really cleans the car. Just my experience.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
mustangphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion