will mods break a car's warranty? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

will mods break a car's warranty?

My car is basically brand new and still under warranty for three years, if I do any mods to the engine or whatnot in the next three years will it void the warranty?

Thanks
Terry
equine48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The only mods worth doing in my opinion is a tune as far as performance. Excluding a supercharger or turbo kit of course. A tune would void your warranty some people say you could change it back to factory to go unnoticed but also some say that it could still be detected. I've also heard that a tune from Ford will still keep your warranty but then again I can't see a tune from Ford being that good compared to what else is out there I would imagine it being more on the conservative side. If i were you I would wait till the warranty ran out and then mod the $hut outta it💩

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
If there would be an "issue" where you needed to take it into the dealership for warranty work, and they see that you have mods done, they could very well try to point the finger at whatever mod you installed caused the problem. They supposedly have to prove it, but I heard of some dealerships just wanting to blame the mod, and case closed. And let's face it, suspension upgrades I would think would have a tough time affecting an engine issue. I have a '16 GT PP with a CAI, tune, catback exhaust and some suspension stuff to install, and I didn't worry about it because I didn't go with a kick a**, go like h*ll tune. But, that's just me. Several guys on here are waiting to do mods after their warranty is over for the reason you stated. And hey, that's fine too.
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I basically was just looking to get it tuned and that was about it initially, think I will just wait the three years and then go for it.

Terry
equine48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
How about the "5 years / 60,000 miles powertrain limited warranty"?

When you get down to it, you could run into problems getting warranty coverage for failures associated any parts or modifications, especially if the parts are designed for racing or high performance.

That could be anything from air intake filters to spark plugs. e.g.- Anything that alters or reconfigures the car from its factory specs.
So if someone is really concerned about warranty coverage they would have to return the car to their friendly Ford dealer for everything.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
mods

I added a sct tuner. blew my clutch plate. my fault I adjusted the rev limiter too high 7500 rpm. well removed tune went to stock oem tune went in for warranty and the gps told on me. result. voided warranty on motor. so I ate it. didn't taste too good.
rickb9ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #7

Region: New Jersey
Roush SuperCharger

You can safely upgrade with a Roush Supercharger kit and get a supplement warranty under the Ford warranty. I did that on my 2015 GT and warranty still covered by both Ford and Roush. Install can be done by Ford or an authorized Roush speed shop.
rgwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
For some light reading.....

The Moss/Magnuson Act covers warranty law relating to dealers, and basically states that for any dealer to void any part of your warranty, the modification you've done to your car has to be the "proximate" cause of the OEM part failure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magn...s_Warranty_Act

If you tune your car for additional HP, which means added stress on the entire driveline, then a dealer would be able to prove relatively easily the relationship between mod and failure if, for instance the rear gears go out in the differential. However, if you modify your car to make 800 HP and the radio or your power seat goes out, that would be covered.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
a tune very well MAY void a good bit of your wtty. You need to talk with your dealer and get on their good side, but (this is impt!) even if they say it's ok to tune it, they won't put it in writing.

exhaust/intake shouldn't do much as far as wtty goes but they do the same for power gains (nothing really)
Old 02-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcman50 View Post
My car is basically brand new and still under warranty for three years, if I do any mods to the engine or whatnot in the next three years will it void the warranty?

Thanks
Terry
Any performance modifications done to the car during warranty coverage, MAY result in ones warranty being voided should an issue arise. The key word is MAY!

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
The local dealership near me adds cat backs, pro chargers and tunes (707) and they honor the warranty as long as they do the work.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I basically was just looking to get it tuned and that was about it initially, think I will just wait the three years and then go for it.

Terry
We have a tremendous track record when it comes to tuning & manufacturing parts that won't damage your investment.

We have a location in Pompano Beach & also in Valdosta, GA. If you are interested in getting a tune or work done - we stand behind our products 100% and will ensure you have 0 issues when it comes to warranty denials.

Also, we can help direct you to Steeda friendly dealers in the area.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Any performance modifications done to the car during warranty coverage, MAY result in ones warranty being voided should an issue arise. The key word is MAY!

Non and non fed. I $uck!
Exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
We have a tremendous track record when it comes to tuning & manufacturing parts that won't damage your investment.

We have a location in Pompano Beach & also in Valdosta, GA. If you are interested in getting a tune or work done - we stand behind our products 100% and will ensure you have 0 issues when it comes to warranty denials.

Best Regards,

TJ
So are you saying that you guarantee in writing that you will assume all responsibility for any warranty denials if due to your tune or work done?
Sounds good to me!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
A failure from a tune, particularly our tunes is extremely rare.

Should an engine failure occur, we would work with the Ford dealer for proper diagnostics, this would include not only traditional diagnostics but things such as fuel octane testing and other techniques to fully determine the cause of failure.

Should it be determined that indeed the tuning was the cause of the engine failure and not abuse, over revving, improper fuel octane, etc, then we would work with you, the customer on resolving the failure.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
The local dealership near me adds cat backs, pro chargers and tunes (707) and they honor the warranty as long as they do the work.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
The dealer really doesn't have much say in whether warranty work is covered or not. Everything has to be submitted back to Ford. Simple things like a window not working its just a formality but if you come in with a blown engine or something major the dealer will be required to perform extra diagnostics or a field rep may be required to review.

I would say in your case the dealer is taking on the risk and would foot the bill themselves if a failure is denied by Ford.

Dave
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

I'm assuming Mark is talking the Ford Racing parts/wtty.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post

Best Regards,

TJ
This is partially why a Steeda tune is in my '16.
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #18

Region: Virginia
*Deny, NOT VOID. There is a HUGE difference in this.

Should a problem occur and the modification is at fault, the warranty claim can be denied. The entire warranty cannot be void for the car simply because you put an intake on.
Spicy_Mchaggiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

correct, but if you dealer claims AB's fragged your synchros and refuses to honor the wtty it's up to you to bring it to court. Yeah you'll probably win but till then your synchros are your problem.

an exaggeration taken for example reasons

OP, do exhaust with 0 worries, suspension with knowledge that suspension creaks will be your responsibility, a tune if you are comfortable with the risk/reward
Old 03-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Agree if your worried about best not to do
FM758713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion