Motor Mounts and pinion angle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Question Motor Mounts and pinion angle

So in a couple of weeks I am getting together with RoboStang to do the suspension on my 2012 V6 (MT)

I have Konis, Steeda Mounts, Adj phb, lca's (and relo bkts), adj uca, SR springs with a 1 1/2" drop, etc. I've been collecting parts for quite a while. I have a few questions:

I had installed motor mounts which I love, however the ones I bought were adjustable I can take out this little spacer disc and lower my motor 1/2" should I do this and besides a lower center of gravity what would I gain/lose. Will this help/hurt pinion angle? Also (and I haven't looked myself yet) if you have any links to a how to for adjusting pinion angles plz post them.

fwiw I am mostly doing this for looks, but I would love it if this helps in the floating/bouncing around feeling I get when I start pushing my car on two lane black top.

thx in advance

Mud
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Don't know how much you are going down but it could correct the drive shaft angle.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:31 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

so a bump on this as it's this wknd....also part 2.

If I drop the motor 1/2" I'm assuming the soft rubber in the transmission mount will just compress and I don't have to worry about anything other than pinion angle?
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Here is the easiest way to set pinion angle.
http://youtu.be/9TbwRZqEtxQ

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Redonblackpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Update:.....I decided NOT to try and lower engine. Oil pan would end up being real close to K member.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you have the stock 2 piece DS you shouldn't need to worry about pinion angle.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you have the stock 2 piece DS you shouldn't need to worry about pinion angle.
Ever???
Or do you mean it's much more forgiving?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Ever???
Or do you mean it's much more forgiving?
Forgiving.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

two piece is more forgiving. I have the stock v6 one piece. I ended up adjusting it after lowering. I'll write about lowering once it's all settled in, but 1st impressions are "it's better"

props to RoboStang for helping me out this wknd.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
two piece is more forgiving. I have the stock v6 one piece. I ended up adjusting it after lowering. I'll write about lowering once it's all settled in, but 1st impressions are "it's better"

props to RoboStang for helping me out this wknd.

My pleasure Mud. Another great day wrenching on a Mustang.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The stock v6 isnt a 1 piece shaft either, it just doesn't have the carrier bearing the 5.0 shaft has therefore is about 10lbs lighter than the gt driveshaft.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2016, 02:10 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

I'm thinking of doing my shocks/struts soon too (can't just let those Koni yellows languish in my basement now that it's warming up). For mostly street/spirited driving use, should I be replacing my strut mounts or can I re-use the factory ones? I'm not lowered and am not planning to so I'm assuming I don't need caster/camber plates?

Just thinking what the best course would be when the thing's apart.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Tim - at the very least, I would recommend buying another set of the OEM mounts. It is quite possible that when you remove the old mount, that it will fall apart and you will lose some of the bearings. Also, on a 4 year old car, it might be worth replacing them anyway as long as you have the strut assembly out of the car and apart. They are about $30 each.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:30 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

I've got a set with 26K on them......gotta say this wknd was the 1st time I've had it out for "spirited" driving since my suspension and alignment was done. What a improvement. I wasn't expecting as much and mostly did it for looks but lowering/shock/struts/etc made a big difference in the twisties.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:58 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Thanks, R and S! Good point that the stock mounts are prob clapped out by now after 60K+ miles. I know some folks go upgrade to the GT500 mounts--any thoughts about using those? Heck, for all I know that's what the factory put on these Perf Pack cars.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion