Old Classic or New Coyote ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Old Classic or New Coyote ?

So I've reached a point in my life that I can park the new edge (it will never be sold) and purchase a replacement DD stang. I'm leaning towards a restored 67-68gt (which is what got me into these cars in the first place), or a 2011-2014gt.

I love everything about both cars and I'm feeling insurance costs will probably be the decision maker as it will be a lot more on the newer.

Just wanting opinions for kicks, especially if you happen to have a new and old stang. I've had sellers remorse since letting go my 70 and 72 Torinos, and my first 67 mustang was stolen. I'm a classic lover, but the entire coyote car (interior, exterior, and under the hood) is amazing.

So, If you had around $20k for a mustang, would you go fully restored (including handling/power upgrades) 67-68old school; or 2011-14new school coyote?

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Classic is always the answer.
But I wouldn't buy a "fully restored" classic for 20 grand. Even then I wouldn't daily it ever.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
In short I'm a lifelong Chevy guy Who bought a 2014 Coyote GT . And I gotta tell you they are awesome cars! Never thought I'd buy a FORD!!
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

This is my opinion only. I would not use a classic 67-68 as a daily driver. I would go with the Coyote. The classic's are just getting to rare any more. Sure would like to be able to afford to have one though. Hope you enjoy what ever you decide to get.
oxfordwhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, I'm in no hurry, and I'm sure I'll end up DD both the new edge and the next one. I just can't seem to justify paying the damn insurance on new cars these days, and if I go with minimal coverage, then I'll probably end up needing full down the road.
I've been eyeballing other torinos and also 68 cougars too, as they're the mustangs sister, and I've always been a fan. It'll be a fun, but unrushed quest for my next baby 👍

Old 03-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

How about the best of both worlds. A classic with a coyote in it?

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:02 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I took a plunge last week and bought a classic my wife always wanted; a 1967 Camaro. In our 33 years of marriage, she always asked for a 67 to 69, her favorite car. So we did it.
I'm still on the lookout for my 2011/2012 Boss Mustang. This classic is a driver, not a trailer queen. For me, buying a classic and driving it is a cool thing.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:38 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
It's like 50/50; an old one won't depreciate, but has less features & there are replacement parts; but a new one has a warranty & more features.
I say get an old one, 'cause when the next new one comes out, you will want it.
Have 1 old & 1 newer one.

If an old one & a new one drove by you, which would you notice more?
i'm guessing the old(?)
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:35 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if insurance is the factor talk with them to get real numbers. How many miles per year should be a factor, If you plan on putting more than 8-10K per year I would stay away from an older one. Either one would be nice.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog View Post
It's like 50/50; an old one won't depreciate, but has less features & there are replacement parts; but a new one has a warranty & more features.
I say get an old one, 'cause when the next new one comes out, you will want it.
Have 1 old & 1 newer one.

If an old one & a new one drove by you, which would you notice more?
i'm guessing the old(?)
-------------------
Now my heart is broken. I thought I was your ONLY Old One! I guess it's back to the Senior Living home.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
So I've reached a point in my life that I can park the new edge (it will never be sold) and purchase a replacement DD stang. I'm leaning towards a restored 67-68gt (which is what got me into these cars in the first place), or a 2011-2014gt.

I love everything about both cars and I'm feeling insurance costs will probably be the decision maker as it will be a lot more on the newer.

Just wanting opinions for kicks, especially if you happen to have a new and old stang. I've had sellers remorse since letting go my 70 and 72 Torinos, and my first 67 mustang was stolen. I'm a classic lover, but the entire coyote car (interior, exterior, and under the hood) is amazing.

So, If you had around $20k for a mustang, would you go fully restored (including handling/power upgrades) 67-68old school; or 2011-14new school coyote?

Does the GT have all original parts? Since you have reached the older age, your insurance might not be that much. Call around and check prices from some other agents. Remember, just because you have been dealing with one particular agent, he is looking after his best interests, not yours!

I would get the New Coyote. The more your on the road, the more chances you have of getting into an accident. It will be easier to get newer parts.

GOOD LUCK ON WHICHEVER!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

For a weekend toy I would get a classic but for a DD I would prefer something more modern. Although it really depends on how much you drive too. I know people who drive 40-50 miles a week to/from work opposed to me where it's not uncommon to drive 4-500 miles a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you're wondering about insurance on a classic or a new mustang, it depends on if you're gonna insure the classic for replacement value. That's what I do with my classics because there are too many diots on the road now and I had a couple friends lose their butt on classic rides that someone ran into not paying attention.Total loss both. in short, if you insure for replacement value, you can pay more r less than for a newer model. Depends on the carrier. But I refuse to use Haggerty. f you have a claim ith them they will take your car with no opton to buyback or keep. Just a thought, but m insurance is abot the same on my 99 GT as is my 69 Mach 1.
69ponyxprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I've owned a 14 TrakPak...sold it last year....and now have a DD...my avatar...and have an 03 Cobra and 63-1/2 Falcon Sprint convertible...the Sprint is resto Mod and restored.
The 14 TrakPak...you can see my pictures...was mod'd by myself and was more of a garage queen than DD and really wasn't suited for a DD after the mods....part of the reason I sold it.
I've had and restored a number of early Mustangs and if you have a budget of $20k you can buy a nice one....I doubt it would be a restored car for that kind of money and probably not a "real deal" GT. Not sure where you live but if it's on the other side of the Rockies rust is a major concern with any old Ford....and Mustangs/Cougars have their fare share in some unseen places.
If you want a daily driver I'd lean towards a newer car than older....older cars, even restored ones take a fair amount of upkeep and maintenance....as for insurance there are a number of specialty places like Hagerty and with an "Agreed Upon Amount" type of coverage you are pretty much ok....although if you do get in a fender bender finding a body shop to work on your car are becoming fewer and farther between....most shops like insurance work on new cars....older cars, not so much.
If you were to find a 60's Mustang or Cougar that had the complete drivetrain replaced with a late model engine/trans/rearend and the suspension upgraded also then I'd say go for it...........with a limited budget of $20k you might be able to find one...........or how about building one yourself...........how about building a Fox body with a Coyote...........just some thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sleeper.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	197965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox body with 4.6.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	197967  

olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Why not get a classic for your weekend toy and find a good deal on an 11 or 12 V6 Mustang for a daily?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #16

Region: Wisconsin
New Coyote

The new one will make you smile every time you turn the key. I have a 13 GT, and full coverage is only around $250 per year given that it is stored 6 months per year. It has a 7500 mile mileage limit. I love to look at the classics, but when it comes to the fun factor, I'll stick with the new car.
Racered427hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:37 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

old school.still kick myself in the butt for letting my 71 mach1 go.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I can't believe it! Your thoughts are exactly what I had 2 years ago! I went with the 2014 GT, red on red. For me I made the right decision. The last time I had 8 cyl. Was in 1987 so one of the deciding factors for me was the 420+ hp compared to the 200 ish. It's awesome! Good luck with whatever u decide.
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #19
Road Trip!
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
-------------------

Now my heart is broken. I thought I was your ONLY Old One! I guess it's back to the Senior Living home.

ha ha. the only guy in my life (young OR old) is my old dad lol

...& what about a restomod?

(& I don't know HOW many times i have to listen to my dad whine about trading his mint '58 Impala lol
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB View Post
I can't believe it! Your thoughts are exactly what I had 2 years ago! I went with the 2014 GT, red on red. For me I made the right decision. The last time I had 8 cyl. Was in 1987 so one of the deciding factors for me was the 420+ hp compared to the 200 ish. It's awesome! Good luck with whatever u decide.
I'm glad you were able to make a decision because I cannot !!!LOL ...I am very much leaning towards an old school car.

I think a classic with a coyote/modern drivetrain/brakes/suspension would be the ultimate but that's out of my price range, and I wouldn't want to drive that too often anyways.

I'm completely in love with both the interior and the exterior of the coyotes though...( and I keep saying coyote because I will not buy a Mustang with a V6, no offense to anyone, as I do have much respect for this new 3.7, )

This is what I looked at yesterday.... California Car 2 owners 3 speed 302 AC, but they lied and said the motor was rebuilt and you could see that it wasn't from the outside LOL (rusty valve covers-are u serious-and oil on headers lmfao)

To me, these are sexier than any newer model, but handling, power, etc...
This won't be an easy or fast decision for sure.

Thanks for all ur input!! It does help

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1457555825903.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	198021  
Old 03-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My girlfriend has a 66 GT I drive sometimes. If I am having work done on mine or she just thinks it needs its legs stretched. I would NEVER DD that car lol. Yes, it is a classic and was her dads but that is only part of it. Creature comforts, passing speed, handling, radio, AC, Seats amungst other reasons are the main thing. It is nice to take it out sometimes though.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

As some who DDs a classic, if you want reliable and creature comforts get a newer car and save the classic for a weekend car. Also if you aren't mechanically inclined, then it will be even harder to DD a classic. They need lots of love, but if you can get by without a/c and can put in a couple hours a week to keep things working then they aren't bad to DD. It will turn into a money pit though unless you get a good starting point which will cost a bit more but may be worth it if you can afford it.
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I'm glad you were able to make a decision because I cannot !!!LOL ...I am very much leaning towards an old school car.

I think a classic with a coyote/modern drivetrain/brakes/suspension would be the ultimate but that's out of my price range, and I wouldn't want to drive that too often anyways.

I'm completely in love with both the interior and the exterior of the coyotes though...( and I keep saying coyote because I will not buy a Mustang with a V6, no offense to anyone, as I do have much respect for this new 3.7, )

This is what I looked at yesterday.... California Car 2 owners 3 speed 302 AC, but they lied and said the motor was rebuilt and you could see that it wasn't from the outside LOL (rusty valve covers-are u serious-and oil on headers lmfao)

To me, these are sexier than any newer model, but handling, power, etc...
This won't be an easy or fast decision for sure.

Thanks for all ur input!! It does help

Hopefully it's not at a classic car showroom...........not to be pushy.......if I were looking for 67/68 Mustang I'd look for something like this....67 Mustang
that is mostly stock and has not had some "kid" do a lot of crap to it....IMHO
Old 03-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
How about the best of both worlds. A classic with a coyote in it?
This is the answer to your problem.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

If anyone sees a frame off resto Stang 67-73 ( I know I said 67-68 before but all six years are great favorites of mine and 73 was the year I was born )with a coyote, tell me immediatley !!

Indeed that would be my dream car but I am definitely not motivated enough to build it, it would already have to been built.

I definitely want turn key, everything new if I go classic. That should keep me headache .
free for a few years if I DD it doing basic typical maint

Can't see a classic with a coyote all new going for $20k tho, so the quest continues

Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Here.
https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/231871223478

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
If you are mechanically inclined I would grab a classic "Driver". Very tempted to sell my 2011 and buy a Fox or 65-68 for a Daily. My full coverage insurance is about the same as a car payment... Hurts a lot but gotta pay to play.

My insurance is $4,320 a year for my full coverage on my 2011 GT (base model). (15K miles a year, 19 male in Texas). I wonder where my wallet went....

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5467743881.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5481396489.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5482124422.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/5481930107.html
Old 03-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well technically there's no such thing as a fram off resto on a classic mustang since their unibodies, but 20k can get you a decent coupe and a okay fastback. Now would be the time to buy, just make sure you give it a good shake down first and just because it's a fresh resto doesn't mean it'll be headache free, especially since you didn't build it so you'll have to figure out what someone else screwed up. DDing a classic just requires some tcl, maybe not once a week but probably a day a month to fix things on it. Classic aren't built like today's cars they aren't maintenance free like driving a new car off the lot. I honestly don't think there would be much a difference between a 20k car and 12k car. Anything wrong with a 12k car would probably be reminded with a couple grand and then you'll have a 20k car, if you truly want a headache free classic, buy a fixer upper and take it to REPUTABLE shop and have them build you your car the way you want it, or buy a high end resto.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
If you are mechanically inclined I would grab a classic "Driver". Very tempted to sell my 2011 and buy a Fox or 65-68 for a Daily. My full coverage insurance is about the same as a car payment... Hurts a lot but gotta pay to play.

My insurance is $4,320 a year for my full coverage on my 2011 GT (base model). (15K miles a year, 19 male in Texas). I wonder where my wallet went....

Mustang 1968

1966 Mustang 302 Engine

1968 Ford Mustang

1970 Ford Mustang Grande #111640
I really like the 70!, the others are over priced...........IMHO
Old 03-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

for that money i'd get a newer 5.0. retro looks, reliable since it's not as old as a car from the 60s, with good power. a 69 Boss is my favorite old school Stang!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
Well technically there's no such thing as a fram off resto on a classic mustang since their unibodies, but 20k can get you a decent coupe and a okay fastback. Now would be the time to buy, just make sure you give it a good shake down first and just because it's a fresh resto doesn't mean it'll be headache free, especially since you didn't build it so you'll have to figure out what someone else screwed up. DDing a classic just requires some tcl, maybe not once a week but probably a day a month to fix things on it. Classic aren't built like today's cars they aren't maintenance free like driving a new car off the lot. I honestly don't think there would be much a difference between a 20k car and 12k car. Anything wrong with a 12k car would probably be reminded with a couple grand and then you'll have a 20k car, if you truly want a headache free classic, buy a fixer upper and take it to REPUTABLE shop and have them build you your car the way you want it, or buy a high end resto.
Here is a picture of my 66 GT..."real deal GT"....that I restored some 30+ years ago when you could still buy the sheet metal from Ford...I think I paid $2000 for the complete front sheet metal, both rear quarters, wheel houses along with grill and bumpers.............even then having a very good friend who owns a Mustang Only shop..........it cost me $1500 just in putting both quarters on and replacing the drivers side floor along with hanging all of the front sheet metal.........taking a car to a shop and having them do the work is extremely expensive.............can turn a $15k Mustang into a $30k mustang very quickly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66gt.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	198048  
Old 03-09-2016, 10:40 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
If anyone sees a frame off resto Stang 67-73 ( I know I said 67-68 before but all six years are great favorites of mine and 73 was the year I was born )with a coyote, tell me immediatley !!

Indeed that would be my dream car but I am definitely not motivated enough to build it, it would already have to been built.

I definitely want turn key, everything new if I go classic. That should keep me headache .
free for a few years if I DD it doing basic typical maint

Can't see a classic with a coyote all new going for $20k tho, so the quest continues

1968 Mustang Coupe
Old 03-09-2016, 10:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Here is a picture of my 66 GT..."real deal GT"....that I restored some 30+ years ago when you could still buy the sheet metal from Ford...I think I paid $2000 for the complete front sheet metal, both rear quarters, wheel houses along with grill and bumpers.............even then having a very good friend who owns a Mustang Only shop..........it cost me $1500 just in putting both quarters on and replacing the drivers side floor along with hanging all of the front sheet metal.........taking a car to a shop and having them do the work is extremely expensive.............can turn a $15k Mustang into a $30k mustang very quickly.

Okay, should have excluded body work good point. But if your paying 15k for a regular non rare or special mustang it shouldn't need that much work done body wise. At least imo. And I guess in my mind a 12k mustang is being sold by someone who has lost interest in their project, when it only needs some suspension work or paint. I guess it all depends on your area for buying a mustang. Around here they are a dime a dozen in a running and driving state for 12ish.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
Okay, should have excluded body work good point. But if your paying 15k for a regular non rare or special mustang it shouldn't need that much work done body wise. At least imo. And I guess in my mind a 12k mustang is being sold by someone who has lost interest in their project, when it only needs some suspension work or paint. I guess it all depends on your area for buying a mustang. Around here they are a dime a dozen in a running and driving state for 12ish.
67 Mustang

This car would be a good starting point.......nice original plain jane Mustang.
Since I live in Oregon cars up here tend to have a little more rust than down your way....unless the car came from Montery or some place on the coast....the car I restored came from California and had a fair amount of rust in the rear quarters and drivers floor..............old cars are a crap shoot........and bringing the suspension and drivetrain to todays standard is not cheap..........IMHO
Old 03-09-2016, 11:01 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
67 Mustang

This car would be a good starting point.......nice original plain jane Mustang.

Since I live in Oregon cars up here tend to have a little more rust than down your way....unless the car came from Montery or some place on the coast....the car I restored came from California and had a fair amount of rust in the rear quarters and drivers floor..............old cars are a crap shoot........and bringing the suspension and drivetrain to todays standard is not cheap..........IMHO

My car was a Cali car and needed a battery tray, cowel, both quarters, trunk lid, the little pice between the rear window, and trunk and there wasn't any floors left lol but mine was 800$. And yes that seems like a good candidate. And yes bring them up to date with cars these is very expensive, but I never said thats what you'd get for 20k. I can run through what I have spent on my car to get it to DD if the op wants, or pm me. I don't want to jack the thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion