Interesting read on High Flow Catalytic Converters - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Interesting read on High Flow Catalytic Converters

Clearing Up the Myth About High Flow Catalytic Converters

Is there really such a thing as a High Flow or Performance Catalytic Converter?
Read the following story and you might be surprised!

There are many companies on the web today selling what they call a "high flow" or "performance" catalytic converter. We get calls almost everyday from customers wanting to know how much a "high flow" or "performance" catalytic converter will cost for their car. Well this may come as a surprise to some and will really bust the bubble of what some companies are selling, ....THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A HIGH FLOW OR PERFORMANCE CATALYTIC CONVERTER!! A catalytic converter has no moving parts nor is chambered like a muffler, or have elaborate packing like a muffler. It's interior is not designed to move exhaust gasses along more quickly such as having a spiral core.

A catalytic converter is designed to reduce harmful exhaust gasses...that's all! Basically all aftermarket cats have a ceramic substrate (the guts) that during manufacturing is coated with a solution of platinum, palladium and rhodium. This coating is what causes the catalyst reaction once the converter reaches a certain temperature supplied by the vehicles exhaust gasses. These substrates are made like a beehive honeycomb and are comprised of 400 cells per square inch across their surface. In theory, an aftermarket cat is higher flow than it's O.E. counterpart, because the O.E. converter has a substrate made up of 700 cells per square inch, so the exhaust flow with an aftermarket converter is a little freer, but not dramatically! We do carry a few universal converter numbers that have a 200 cell substrate but they are like I said, universal. They sometimes require extensive welding and cutting of the original exhaust system, so for many applications these are just not practical.

Okay that's it!! There is no Magic "Super Free Flow" Catalytic Converter out there and any company that tries to sell you one is not quite telling you the truth, The sad thing is, there are some web sites claiming they have High Flow Performance Cats, and by the way at a huge inflated price, when in fact all you will be buying is the same converter you would buy anywhere else for half the price. So that's the story in a nutshell. But if you're still determined to find a High Flow catalytic converter or your buddy told you he got one from XXX Auto Parts, try to remember what you've read here and ask some real questions about the product. Like how many cells per inch are across the surface of the substrates or how many grams of precious metal wash coat is baked into the substrate? If it's below 25 say thank you and leave quickly. If the coating is less than a 25 gram mixture the cat will not do the job, and it will set off the check engine light. You might be surprised to find questions like these will throw most sales people for a loop. Most will have no clue what you are talking about, so just be careful. Okay, if you are now totally confused about the myth of High Flow, Go Flow, Mo Flow catalytic converters and would like to talk more about them...give us a call we'd be happy to hear from you.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
So you are saying if I added High Flow cats and: Universal Blue Dual Fan Turbonator Fuel Saver for Turbo supercharger Air Intake | eBay

That my car STILL won't beat cars with bigger engines?
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
So you are saying if I added High Flow cats and: Universal Blue Dual Fan Turbonator Fuel Saver for Turbo supercharger Air Intake | eBay

That my car STILL won't beat cars with bigger engines?
LOL...I'm not saying any thing.
But it looks to me, the way you save fuel with that "Universal Blue Dual Fan Turbonator Fuel Saver For Turbo Supercharger Air Intake" is based on the principle that those "dual fans" restrict the intake air flow which in turn requires less fuel. Loss in power as well.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
When buying catalytic converters I have one rule. Get Magnaflow. That is all.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Clearing Up the Myth About High Flow Catalytic Converters

Is there really such a thing as a High Flow or Performance Catalytic Converter?
Read the following story and you might be surprised!

There are many companies on the web today selling what they call a "high flow" or "performance" catalytic converter. We get calls almost everyday from customers wanting to know how much a "high flow" or "performance" catalytic converter will cost for their car. Well this may come as a surprise to some and will really bust the bubble of what some companies are selling, ....THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A HIGH FLOW OR PERFORMANCE CATALYTIC CONVERTER!! A catalytic converter has no moving parts nor is chambered like a muffler, or have elaborate packing like a muffler. It's interior is not designed to move exhaust gasses along more quickly such as having a spiral core.

A catalytic converter is designed to reduce harmful exhaust gasses...that's all! Basically all aftermarket cats have a ceramic substrate (the guts) that during manufacturing is coated with a solution of platinum, palladium and rhodium. This coating is what causes the catalyst reaction once the converter reaches a certain temperature supplied by the vehicles exhaust gasses. These substrates are made like a beehive honeycomb and are comprised of 400 cells per square inch across their surface. In theory, an aftermarket cat is higher flow than it's O.E. counterpart, because the O.E. converter has a substrate made up of 700 cells per square inch, so the exhaust flow with an aftermarket converter is a little freer, but not dramatically! We do carry a few universal converter numbers that have a 200 cell substrate but they are like I said, universal. They sometimes require extensive welding and cutting of the original exhaust system, so for many applications these are just not practical.

Okay that's it!! There is no Magic "Super Free Flow" Catalytic Converter out there and any company that tries to sell you one is not quite telling you the truth, The sad thing is, there are some web sites claiming they have High Flow Performance Cats, and by the way at a huge inflated price, when in fact all you will be buying is the same converter you would buy anywhere else for half the price. So that's the story in a nutshell. But if you're still determined to find a High Flow catalytic converter or your buddy told you he got one from XXX Auto Parts, try to remember what you've read here and ask some real questions about the product. Like how many cells per inch are across the surface of the substrates or how many grams of precious metal wash coat is baked into the substrate? If it's below 25 say thank you and leave quickly. If the coating is less than a 25 gram mixture the cat will not do the job, and it will set off the check engine light. You might be surprised to find questions like these will throw most sales people for a loop. Most will have no clue what you are talking about, so just be careful. Okay, if you are now totally confused about the myth of High Flow, Go Flow, Mo Flow catalytic converters and would like to talk more about them...give us a call we'd be happy to hear from you.

THANK YOU....!
As a past exhaust industry professional I have been preaching this for literally decades and you can't imagine the flak I've received for it, including on this very site.
Nice to see someone else is awake.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Who wrote that?
SVOGT302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Great info Diehard. Just realized you aren't the original author so I'm editing this. I'm helping a friend with a 150k mile Honda that has P0420 code for low cat efficiency. He's found cheep replacement cats with 49 state rating. Does anyone know if these are good enough or likely to still set the check engine light on?
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Nice ... Thanks for saving me some cash👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
LOL...I'm not saying any thing.
But it looks to me, the way you save fuel with that "Universal Blue Dual Fan Turbonator Fuel Saver For Turbo Supercharger Air Intake" is based on the principle that those "dual fans" restrict the intake air flow which in turn requires less fuel. Loss in power as well.
Heck yea! Take away all those HP and Torque numbers! WHO needs them?!!!
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Heck yea! Take away all those HP and Torque numbers! WHO needs them?!!!
Back in the bad old days before the OEM converter design changed you had 302 Mustangs with 129 HP & Z28s with 175!! By comparison all modern exhaust cats are hi performace
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

It wasn't just the cats that robbed the power, its the other 9,000 emissions stuffs they had back then.

Good new/not clogged or corroded cats are going to flow much better than OEMs that have been on the car since 2003 or whatever that is a fact. And the aftermarket pipe diameter is bigger as well with smoother bends/better design for the most part. This is where the power comes from.

And I really don't feel like a cop having a really bad day towing my car because I had to be super loud exhaust or some ****. A good new high quality brand converter will rob little/no power. And even if it robs a little... its going to be ok. The LT1, the SRT and the Coyote all make well north of 400hp with the factory emissions in place on a real conservative tune.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOGT302 View Post
Who wrote that?
Not me, that's for sure.
Came from CatalyticConverter.org
Old 03-10-2016, 12:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Good Info !!! But I'd still buy the so called "High Flow" just because of the looks.
No other reason but looks now that I know this.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Good Info !!! But I'd still buy the so called "High Flow" just because of the looks.
No other reason but looks now that I know this.
After market manufacturers often slim down the cases to make them look more racy.
The problem is that when you minimize the cross section you also reduce the number of passages for the gasses to escape which increases back pressure.

So don't let looks fool you....the best flowing converter isn't the smallest one, it's the one with the biggest cross section.
So here is an instance where bigger really is better, counter to what the masses have been lead to believe.

Tuned by AED
Old 03-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a fun one...
High-Flow Cat Benefit?

Tuned by AED

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion