Will a fbo ecoboost beat a bolt on 2016 5.0? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #36

Region: California
How much money (roughly) are in the mods for each car?
ExhaustFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
OK....I have to ask. What does the "FBO" stand for?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #38
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
FBO = full bolt ons

I hate that phrase, "full bolt on's". Everybody says it for damn near every car group too, so there's no getting away from it.

As far as EB4's and V6's, I like all mustangs, however I will only own V8 Mustang's. The only time I've considered getting one without a V8 was as a daily driver; a Mustang 2 4 cyl (because everybody hates them) and a 2015 EB (because I test drove one and they are very nice cars all around). I would never dump money in them though. I would save it for my Mach 1 lol. I don't hate them, I just don't want one. If Ford stops making Mustangs with V8's, then I'll stop buying them or stick to previous models. It's just what I like.

Anything can be made to go fast. It doesn't mean I want it lol. There are mini vans with nearly 300hp nowadays lol. So, are you gonna buy one because it can keep up with your typical stock GT foxbody? Hell no, right?! I buy what I like and have many more requirements than just horsepower.
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Quote:

Thanks for asking. I really didn't want to be the one to do it :laugh:

I've driven a couple of the new 4's this year as rental cars. They were impressive. I'd still rather have a v8, my testosterone demands it. But it's sad that the new 4's are putting out what my older GT does.

I'm just curious why ford decided they needed to have the 6.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Thanks for asking. I really didn't want to be the one to do it

I've driven a couple of the new 4's this year as rental cars. They were impressive. I'd still rather have a v8, my testosterone demands it. But it's sad that the new 4's are putting out what my older GT does.

I'm just curious why ford decided they needed to have the 6.
It would not surprise me if Ford is looking ahead at future emmissions laws. As the federal regulations tighten changes are required. It saddens me to think that 8cyl engines will likely enter the history books with big blocks. That is an unfortunate possibility though. As tecnology increases more and more hybrid Sport Cars are being developed that can out perform their previous generations. BMW and Porsche are just a couple examples.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustFreak View Post
How much money (roughly) are in the mods for each car?
Probably like 3500 in the ecoboost and about 1500 in the gt. (not including labor)
Old 04-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #42

Not cheap to upgrade these days huh? Back in the 70's and 80's a set of headers, intake, cam, gears and slicks would of been well under a grand. I do like how the cars of today respond to parts and tunes though
Old 04-14-2016, 12:26 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Well, ya. But the car only cost 3k to start with.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #44

Region: Iowa
IDK

So if the Ecoboost gets close modded, what would the 5.0 do with just as much PSI on a turbo of it's own... (Just sayin)
csteere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:51 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

No replacement for displacement. Add not for not on each car and cubic inches wins every time.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:38 AM   #46
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
so is the EB with 24 psi still in one piece? I am sure it's fun but the Stang is a good bit of weight for that small a motor

just another worthless V6 owner....
Old 04-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #47
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
No replacement for displacement. Add not for not on each car and cubic inches wins every time.
Yes there is. Its called boost. Witness the rebuilt/forged 281/284 2V Mustangs making 700hp with a very entry level turbo setup. And being dead nuts reliable for a DD and getting 20+mpg.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #48
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yes there is. Its called boost. Witness the rebuilt/forged 281/284 2V Mustangs making 700hp with a very entry level turbo setup. And being dead nuts reliable for a DD and getting 20+mpg.
And that's for a pretty reasonable amount of green, compared to newer Mustang part costs.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
And that's for a pretty reasonable amount of green, compared to newer Mustang part costs.
Yeah but even the newer cars are doing it with not a ton of cubic inches. I mean there are the big 6+ liter GM and Mopar engines but even those are not even close in size to some of the stuff that was out in the "muscle car era".

Displacement replaced with technology and boost.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #50
Registered Member

Regular

I wouldn't care if I lost to a built EcoBoost because I will sound better getting there......but, as Scotty said boost replaces displacement:
Think of it this way.....the 2.3 liter EB at one additional atmosphere (14.7 psi at sea level) becomes the equivalent of a 4.6 liter engine. If you boost it to 21 psi, then you are moving the same amount of fuel and air as a 5.5 liter engine.......and being 2.5 times harder on the internals -- but you are making the equivalent HP.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:00 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I agree, but that forced induction is technically replacing the air / fuel mixture that the larger cubic inches would already have. The downside is the extra stress on smaller and lighter engine components.

I do have a weak spot for a roots style blower.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:03 AM   #52
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, the newer stuff is so strong that it really doesn't matter as much.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #53

I have to say that the modern injection and lubrication systems probably keep the motors happier longer. As much as I love the feeling of a turbocharged motor pushing your guts back against your spine, I have such a hard time with the sound from a 4, 6 or 10 cyl motor vs a V8.
But you can't argue the facts that superchargers make small displacement motors run real good!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:20 AM   #54

Recently, I test drove a 2016 ecoboost premium. The Ford dealership was REALLY trying to push it on me. It was used with 20k miles on it. They even brought it to my house and let me keep it a day to drive it around. However, I had my heart set on a 2017 all black with the black accent pkg, manual GT 5.0. I kept dealing the guy that I wanted the 5.0, but he kept trying to sell me the ecoboost. I took it out and hit some back roads to see what it would do. The next day I went back to the dealership and test drove the 5.0. Being that the ecoboost was a 2016, it was the premium, and an automatic, I wanted to like it so bad. But there was absolutely no comparison to the 5.0. The 5.0 was so much faster and b/c it was a manual, I could control the RPM's. When you hit around 4k RPM's in the 5.0 and hammer the pedal, that thing takes off like a damn rocket. That 2017 GT 5.0 is now mine. I know ya'll are talking about the ecoboost modded with fbo's, but there was just something about that 5.0 manual. It sounds AMAZING, but it's also so damn fun to drive. I know everyone makes a big deal about the auto's that are out now, but it's no where near as fun to drive as the manual is. So here's my question, if you take a stock EB that has 300hp and a 5.0 GT that has 435hp and take the same amount of money for each, say 2 grand, how much could you get each car up to in terms of hp and torque? The new 5.0's are just such a good deal. I mean it's tough to find more hp for less than 30k. The eb premiums are around the same amount, it just blows my mind as to one would buy an eb over a GT 5.0. I mean, if you want fuel efficiency and all that type stuff, why are you buying a Mustang to begin with? Go buy a small car. I don't mean to disrespect anyone's ride or to hurt any feelings, this is just my take on it.
flowerpower0186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #55
Registered Member

Regular

If you want fuel efficiency and all that type stuff, why are you buying a Mustang to begin with?

Heck.....I am pleased as punch with the mpg on our 5.0 A6. I routinely get 21-22 mpg in town and over 25 on the highway. For a 4.5 second 0 to 60 car that will do near 170 mph AND has 435 hp......well, I am just pleased.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you want fuel efficiency and all that type stuff, why are you buying a Mustang to begin with?

Heck.....I am pleased as punch with the mpg on our 5.0 A6. I routinely get 21-22 mpg in town and over 25 on the highway. For a 4.5 second 0 to 60 car that will do near 170 mph AND has 435 hp......well, I am just pleased.

Hard to argue with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
tman1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion