Will a fbo ecoboost beat a bolt on 2016 5.0? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2016, 07:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Will a fbo ecoboost beat a bolt on 2016 5.0?

Hey guys figured this would make for a good debate haha.. My buddy bought a 2015 ecoboost mustang about a year ago and since then he has added an airaid intake and Lund tune. Up until 2 months ago when I bought my 5.0 I had a 2014 v6 mustang with an mpt tune and when I raced his tuned ecoboost he would beat me by about a car length from 50-100. (On a track) now that I have my 5.0 I beat him by about 2 car lengths until 100. We have a huge friendly rivalry between us and In about two weeks he is adding a full exhaust (catted down-pipe, cat back) and I just bought a Lund tune and jlt intake, I already have a mbrp catback. My question is who will win in a race after all of our new mods? Both are auto.

On a side note I'm very impressed with the new ecoboost engines, that thing moves out with just a tune!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Our cars for reference

My 5.0, buddy's ecoboost and my old v6 ( which my sister now owns)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The CAI is not going to do anything for you but if he's already tuned and you weren't and now you've got a Lund tune you should walk him.

However suspension mods, tires etc... will all make a difference too. And if one of you gets an aftermarket converter before the other the person with the aftermarket converter is going to have a huge advantage.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #4

Region: California
I'm surprised the eco-boost stays that close to the 5.0 Tunes are awesome!
ExhaustFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Subbed. This should get interesting

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustFreak View Post
I'm surprised the eco-boost stays that close to the 5.0 Tunes are awesome!
Technology has come a long way. I think it was Lethal who tuned a 2.3L to 400+ and ran 12s with just a downpipe/tune/tires when the 15s first came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Subbed. This should get interesting
Yep.

The fact that they are both autos makes it really cool too. I'd honestly say it would be a driver's race if they were sticks or if one was a stick and one auto I'd give the nod to the auto.

My money would still be on the Coyote but the Eco is not a slouch. I actually really REALLY want to see what ppl do with the Focus RS. That thing is going to be a monster.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Subbed. This will be a good discussion.
Cobb tuning has a good base for the ecoboost

04 GT
Bgrimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Subbed. Looking forward to the outcome.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just bought a 16' eco boost . I'm very interested to see what happens.
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The Lund tune made a night and day difference in the ecoboost. Upped the boost to 24psi, and it shifts so hard the tires spin. They definitely know what they're doing. Really excited to see how it changes the 5.0. I'll be sure to keep everybody posted on what happens when we race again.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I can't believe when people compare those eco boost or a v6 to the 5.0! Just makes me chuckle! Want a muscle car... Get a V8. Period.
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:33 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
^ I spotted the mustang elitist

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:36 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB View Post
I can't believe when people compare those eco boost or a v6 to the 5.0! Just makes me chuckle! Want a muscle car... Get a V8. Period.

Not so true any more, although if you want SOUND --- get the V8!

This is unreal to me -- the BASE 122 cubic inch Camaro turbo four does 0 to 60 in 5.4 seconds. This is the same time as a stock 1970 Chevelle SS 454!!!
Hard to believe how far computer tuning for engines has become, isn't it?
There is probably more potential bang-for-the-buck in the EB than there is in the V8 --- not total available, folks, just cheap HP.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
^ I spotted the mustang elitist

Those damn six cylinders nothing but trouble
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:43 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

You would know lol

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #16

Yes it's hard to argue with the sound of a V8. There are few things more beautiful sounding than a open headerd V8 in it's rpm sweet spot. Few old muscle cars could even get those 60 ft times with the tire technology and typical driver ability of the era. If you got 14 second quarter miles, out of the typical stock small or big block muscle car you were doing pretty good.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
When you add a tune to both cars does it work out to about the same HP and TQ? I would think you would still be about a sec faster thru the quarter.
WoodDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Installed my Lund tune and jlt intake yesterday and now im thinking there's not much of a chance for his ecoboost lol. Coyote runs very strong now. He received all his parts yesterday so we shall seen soon. We did install his bov the other day it sounds great on his car and does feel like it added a little power. Along with his exhaust he ordered some suspension parts, intercooler and hot and cold side piping. We are installing it all over the next week or so.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodDA View Post
When you add a tune to both cars does it work out to about the same HP and TQ? I would think you would still be about a sec faster thru the quarter.
With the same torque and HP, the lighter EB is going to be faster --- AND the torque on the EB is going to come in much lower on the rpm scale, and stay there for longer.
I wonder how much lighter the four cylinder Mustang is than the V8?

Found the info:
EB Manual = 3532 lbs
EB Auto. = 3524
GT Manual = 3705
GT Auto. = 3729

So with the difference in weights between the two manual transmission models (173 lbs)-- if you want to see the effect -- put 11 16 lb bowling balls in the back seats and see how much that changes the performance and off the line feel of your car.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
Those damn six cylinders nothing but trouble

347! 👍

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Why???? A mustang isn't a muscle car so why not the turbo 4?

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustFreak View Post
Yes it's hard to argue with the sound of a V8. There are few things more beautiful sounding than a open headerd V8 in it's rpm sweet spot. Few old muscle cars could even get those 60 ft times with the tire technology and typical driver ability of the era. If you got 14 second quarter miles, out of the typical stock small or big block muscle car you were doing pretty good.
Just to give you a comparison, I bought a new 1970 Nova SS 396 with automatic and a 3:23 rear . Box stock it ran 15:23 @ 93 MPH. Bought a new 2014 Mustang GT. The 5.0 is 302 cubic inches. Automatic with 3:15 rear gear. Box stock it ran 12.92 @ 109 mph. If you do any drag racing you realize that's a mountain of difference!!
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:25 PM   #23

Yep, 15 or 14 second ET's were pretty good back in the day. A 12.92 @ 109 would have ruled many small towns back in the 60's and 70's, and into the 80's. 13 second cars were fast back then...
Old 04-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You probably have the slowest car on the forum just bc of that comment.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Sub'ed want to see what happens
Billymccrary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
You probably have the slowest car on the forum just bc of that comment.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Yep.... that's probably it! OMG
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:13 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Will a fbo ecoboost beat a bolt on 2016 5.0?

Would be an interesting race to see!.. So if you can, a nice vid of said race perhaps??... 😉. With that said, I'm personally a big V8 fan!.. Would not trade even my '04 GT for a new Eco Mustang!.. That little Turbo 4 just ain't my style!.. BUT!!... I wouldn't bash it either!.. Just saw an article the other day where I believe was a John Lund Tuned Eco running high 10s low 11s!!!... With still the stock Motor and Turbo!.. Ford did right with that "Little Engine That Could!.."

Sent from the One and Only ME!..🍻
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:56 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Every time Ford puts a 4cyl in a Mustang engine bay I have to wonder what the engineers are thinking. I guess I am getting old. Mustangs should have 8 cylinders, a deep exhaust note, and loads of torque.

I am not being disrespectful to those that want a 4 in a Mustang. You get the body style, the fun of a Mustang, and great fuel mileage. Sure, the Eco will run impressive HP numbers. Hondas have been pushing big numbers for years.

I still can't see the heritage of a Mustang holding a little 4 cyl under the hood. It is Mustang blasphemy.

I do want to see a GT vs Eco race now though.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:29 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Every time Ford puts a 4cyl in a Mustang engine bay I have to wonder what the engineers are thinking. I guess I am getting old. Mustangs should have 8 cylinders, a deep exhaust note, and loads of torque.

I am not being disrespectful to those that want a 4 in a Mustang. You get the body style, the fun of a Mustang, and great fuel mileage. Sure, the Eco will run impressive HP numbers. Hondas have been pushing big numbers for years.

I still can't see the heritage of a Mustang holding a little 4 cyl under the hood. It is Mustang blasphemy.

I do want to see a GT vs Eco race now though.

You are getting old. Lol. Mustang has evolved with technology. Not everyone cares about having 8 cylinders and a certain tone. This is a new generation of mustang enthusiasts. You get the looks of the mustang, nice power, handling and fuel millage. A stock 4 banger is good but what's so impressive is the gains from just a few mods.

Sure it sounds like my leaf blower but many people don't care. A 12 second 1/4 mile 5.0 is equally fast as a 12 second 4 banger.

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 04-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
You are getting old. Lol. Mustang has evolved with technology. Not everyone cares about having 8 cylinders and a certain tone. This is a new generation of mustang enthusiasts. You get the looks of the mustang, nice power, handling and fuel millage. A stock 4 banger is good but what's so impressive is the gains from just a few mods.

Sure it sounds like my leaf blower but many people don't care. A 12 second 1/4 mile 5.0 is equally fast as a 12 second 4 banger.

Just a near stock 3.7
If I ever buy an EcoBoost I will have to name it "The Leafblower". Great comparison.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I test drove a 2015 Premium Ecoboost this weekend when my girlfreind was car shopping. There is literally no chance with bolt ons. Anything is possible so I am sure if you upgrade the turbo and piping and left the 5.0 without a tune you would be close. and the sound. I gotta say that was not a good sound.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If I ever buy an EcoBoost I will have to name it "The Leafblower". Great comparison.

Ha ha. It does sound like a leaf blower. The exhaust tone is horrible but if one can overlook such a detail, the 4 banger packs serious performance.

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 04-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Alright guys.. So the results are in. no need to fear the little 4cyl turbo, 5.0 is still king! His mods: Lund tune, airaid intake, Cpe catted downpipe, borla atak catback, sr intercooler, hot and cold side piping, blow off Valve, steeds lowering springs. Gt mods: intake, tune, catback. drom a dig he actually takes me up to about 50 ( simply because I can't get traction) but then i walk him. From about 40 I only take him by about 1.5 -2 cars and slowly keep pulling until we let off. If the cars were manual or if he raced a manual gt with mods it would probably be a drivers race. I also think he would be right there with a stock gt, possibly even would pull on one. It's faster than I would have ever thought it could be, alotbof guys talking smack about them could be eating their words. Driving the ecoboost stock is not even close to where it is now. He does want to drop a bigger turbo which should be interesting 😈
Old 04-12-2016, 08:05 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Alright guys.. So the results are in. no need to fear the little 4cyl turbo, 5.0 is still king! His mods: Lund tune, airaid intake, Cpe catted downpipe, borla atak catback, sr intercooler, hot and cold side piping, blow off Valve, steeds lowering springs. Gt mods: intake, tune, catback. drom a dig he actually takes me up to about 50 ( simply because I can't get traction) but then i walk him. From about 40 I only take him by about 1.5 -2 cars and slowly keep pulling until we let off. If the cars were manual or if he raced a manual gt with mods it would probably be a drivers race. I also think he would be right there with a stock gt, possibly even would pull on one. It's faster than I would have ever thought it could be, alotbof guys talking smack about them could be eating their words. Driving the ecoboost stock is not even close to where it is now. He does want to drop a bigger turbo which should be interesting 😈
So it's a high speed leaf blower

Old 04-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So it's a high speed leaf blower

Ba ha ha ha ba. That leaf blower packs some serious performance once its modded!

Just a near stock 3.7

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion