I NEED HELP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I NEED HELP

So, I'm in the market for an '07-'09 GT500. I'm extremely excited to finally own this dream car of mine. I recently found a beautiful 2007 that's red with white stripes and the black and red interior. It has only 12,000 miles on it and it's a great price. Sounds too good to be true almost. The problem is that it may be. After getting the carfax, I have some doubts. Everything checks out except for the mileage. The mileage shows well until early this year. I'll load a picture on. What are the odds that this is just a typo on the service records? Or that it was a mistake in another area? I have a backup GT500 that I may go with either way, but I would prefer this one if it checks out. I can't seem to attach an image.

On 12/18/2015 it was registered with 12,750 miles.
Then, on 1/7/16 it was serviced with 73,108 miles.
On 1/13/16 it was put up for sale with 12,493 miles.
On 3/9/16 it was serviced at the same dealer with 42,574 miles.

This seems very fishy to me, and makes me very apprehensive. I could understand if the first incident was a typo. But then when the mileage was entered around the same mileage, it has less miles than before the "typo". I just want to know if you guys think that my suspicion is just me being paranoid, or if I should jump ship before I get caught in a world of regret. I really want to buy a car that isn't sketchy in any way. What should I do? When I confronted the dealer, the salesman stopped texting me. The dealer is a Ford dealership.
TangerineScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Yah that is a bit odd. I can understand a typo, anyone can make a mistake when entering information. But the real sketchy thing is that the sales rep broke contact when you addressed the issue.

To me if it was an honest mistake they would have no problem looking into it. Personally, I would pass. The newer GT500's and recent 350 release has brought the 07-09 market down immensely. It is not unheard of to pick one up with under 30k miles for under $30,000.

There was an 08 alloy hardtop for sale up here last fall with 25k miles, $30,000 obo. It was a clean, 1 owner (older gentleman) car. Wish I was in the market for one right now.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Pass. None of that makes sense. Plenty of these to be had and generally they are all low miles.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #4

Region: Virginia
To me it sounds like you already think you should pass on it.

In my experience whenever I overlook something sketchy it bites me in the arse. That car is a definite pass.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the help guys. I'll go with the other option. It's an 08 with 50000 miles for $25k. It's gray with black stripes. I'll be happier with this color combo anyway. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the initial panic.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No problem, and no need to apologize. That's what the forum is for.

I wouldn't be afraid to talk them down on price for that 08. It's a buyer's market for the 07-09 cars.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 03-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
No problem, and no need to apologize. That's what the forum is for.

I wouldn't be afraid to talk them down on price for that 08. It's a buyer's market for the 07-09 cars.
I plan on talking them down at least a little. Are there any issues that come up with these cars that I should keep an eye out for? I know a good amount about the 4.6, but this will be my first time with a 5.4.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I remember hearing about clutch issues on 07-08 cars a while back. A few TSB's were issued. Doubt they are still active. There are some option differences between the years, satellite radio offerings, headlights etc.

There might be more than that, I do not own nor have I owned one, so maybe someone who has will chime in.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I remember hearing about clutch issues on 07-08 cars a while back. A few TSB's were issued. Doubt they are still active. There are some option differences between the years, satellite radio offerings, headlights etc.

There might be more than that, I do not own nor have I owned one, so maybe someone who has will chime in.
I know this one has HIDs and an Aux port. I'm not sure if it has satellite radio, but I wouldn't pay for the subscription anyway since it has an aux port. The carfax shows that the car had its clutch checked by the dealer at some point, I think to address the clutch issue. I'm very excited for this car, and I really wish I could post some pictures of it.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Old 03-31-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

^ No go on the picture

Old 04-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^ No go on the picture
Maybe it's because I'm trying post from mobile. I'll keep trying.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

There's the link to the page I posted the photos on in Imgur. Don't know why I can't get them to just post.

From Bucko: here you go:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.png
Views:	48
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	199107  
Old 04-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
07-09 GT500s will need the clutch done pretty quick if it has not been done before. Replacement should be a McCleod RXT or a 2010 OEM unit. That is going to run you $1k plus labor, just something to think about.

I'd get on SVTP classifieds and look there. I just saw one locally to me with EVERY bolt on, the TVS upgrade, clutch done, suspension done etc... with 32k miles for $30k.

I'd never buy one from a dealer personally if you are looking at any at dealers. Getting one from an enthusiast who knows what they are doing is a much much better option.

Also realize that until you do a blower swap on a GT500 you will have trouble with simple bolt on Coyotes. Looking for a 13/14 takeoff blower is one of the first things I would do.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
07-09 GT500s will need the clutch done pretty quick if it has not been done before. Replacement should be a McCleod RXT or a 2010 OEM unit. That is going to run you $1k plus labor, just something to think about.

I'd get on SVTP classifieds and look there. I just saw one locally to me with EVERY bolt on, the TVS upgrade, clutch done, suspension done etc... with 32k miles for $30k.

I'd never buy one from a dealer personally if you are looking at any at dealers. Getting one from an enthusiast who knows what they are doing is a much much better option.

Also realize that until you do a blower swap on a GT500 you will have trouble with simple bolt on Coyotes. Looking for a 13/14 takeoff blower is one of the first things I would do.
I'll definitely check there for a good one. I want to make a good purchase. I've gone through too many cars lately, and would like this one to stick. I'm not worried about swapping the blowers. I'm not going to be racing it, just ripping on it for my own amusement while I daily it.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Dead set on a GT500? They are awesome but insurance is omfg more than a Coyote and you'll pay less for a Coyote for the same amenities and be just as fast prior to the blower swap. Also probably better as a DD especially since you can get the great 6 speed autos with the Coyotes if you are going to see a lot of traffic.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dead set on a GT500? They are awesome but insurance is omfg more than a Coyote and you'll pay less for a Coyote for the same amenities and be just as fast prior to the blower swap. Also probably better as a DD especially since you can get the great 6 speed autos with the Coyotes if you are going to see a lot of traffic.
I'm pretty set on the GT500. The coyote is fun, but just isn't as raw or good looking in my opinion. I prefer the 6 speed manual and I'm not worried about traffic. The insurance isn't something I'm too worried about. My agent is one of my good friends from high school, and gives me a really great discount. And the amenities isn't something I care much about. Mostly, it's because the GT500 is the first car that I ever really loved. It's one of my dream cars. Thanks for the suggestion though. I looked really hard at a 5.0 and nearly went with a 2012 GT/CS, but I like the way the GT500 feels much more.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Good deal. I'd still look for one on SVTP tho, that way you can get a feel for the owner and search their username for past threads about the car etc... Also many of them will have the clutch done already which saves you $1k plus labor.

Then bolt ons and TVS swap. Stock blower is a turd.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Grey car with the black stripes looks really good --- but OMGosh I hope that applique on the dash is removable.........I couldn't stare over that for more than a few minutes.
First thing I would do for that car if the applique will not come off easily is get a carbon fiber kit to cover that up........JMHO though.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:28 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good deal. I'd still look for one on SVTP tho, that way you can get a feel for the owner and search their username for past threads about the car etc... Also many of them will have the clutch done already which saves you $1k plus labor.

Then bolt ons and TVS swap. Stock blower is a turd.
I've been looking around on there quite a bit. I found quite a few that look really nice and are modded for the same price. The problem is the location. None seem to be near me.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:47 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Grey car with the black stripes looks really good --- but OMGosh I hope that applique on the dash is removable.........I couldn't stare over that for more than a few minutes.
First thing I would do for that car if the applique will not come off easily is get a carbon fiber kit to cover that up........JMHO though.
I go back and forth on the appliqué. I haven't decided if I want to tear it off or keep it. It's just a decal, so it will remove easily. I just haven't decided if I want to take it off or not.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineScream View Post
I've been looking around on there quite a bit. I found quite a few that look really nice and are modded for the same price. The problem is the location. None seem to be near me.
TBTH... for the right one you might want to fly out and drive back or get it transported.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
TBTH... for the right one you might want to fly out and drive back or get it transported.
That's what I was thinking. Could be a cool road trip. The problem is my work schedule is pretty rigid, so it can be a pain to work around. I'll probably end up flying out though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion