Selling my car to used car dealer? Scam? Help.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Selling my car to used car dealer? Scam? Help..

So unfortunately selling my car due to living situations. I AM STILL FIANCING THE CAR.

I posted it for sale and i got a response from a used car dealship that supposedly buys these types of cars and fixes them up, if need be. Ship them down to FL for sale.

Aggred on my asking price and wants to look at the car, drive it, and take paint photos of it. They tell me I can either go up to their dealership or they will come down here.. We would all go to my bank, he would bring all the paper work. We'd call the bank that I owe the money to, sign all the papers. Give me the extra money on top of that buy out price that I asked for.. He said with that being done, the car would be his and I would have nothing to do with it. He would put his plates on and do what he wants...

It all almost sounds almost too good to be true but he really made it sound legit.. Sent me his business license copy.. I'm just having a very hard time figuring out what to think/do ...

How could it be a fraud or a scam after all being said?? This is all happening very soon so anyone with input or experience, please get back to me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
What form of payment is he using?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Unless he pays you in cash, $100 bills at your bank I'd say its a scam.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Remember fine print.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Doesn't make sense.. Why are you going to call your bank while at the bank?!!!

Old 03-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

We will be at my personal bank. While we call a seperate bank that i'm fianacing to the from....

Everything would be set up over the phone and through paperwork in person
Old 03-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Unless he pays you in cash, $100 bills at your bank I'd say its a scam.
Says a dealer license would get a title from a finance company compared to a loca guy on the street.... I asked him if I was to pay the car off, and sell him the car for my asking price with title in hand, if he would accept it.. He said yes. But i'd be waiting an extra week or more for the title.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I guess it sounds legit if he's willing to do this. Besides banks normally don't hand over titles until payment is verified. In other words if he's writing a personal check he won't get the title until it clears

Old 03-30-2016, 11:29 PM   #9

Region: Virginia
Something definitely seems weird about this, but as long as you take all the right precautions, (certified check/cash, bill of sale, don't let him drive off with your plates) everything should be fine.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Selling my car to used car dealer? Scam? Help..

Sounds like crap to me.

But It will take longer than a week to get the title from the bank also

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:30 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Have you done any backround checks on this person? Googled his business? Get his business license number, and call his local police department to find out if he/she's legit.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:21 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
good^^^^
Old 03-31-2016, 06:18 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Sounds like crap to me.

But It will take longer than a week to get the title from the bank also

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Depends, when I bought my Cobra there was a lein on it and the guy was a member of local credit union who he financed it with. I paid with cash at the counter, they signed over the title on the spot and we walked out. But in many cases this is correct, they will not have the title if they are a bigger bank/CU.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Sorry, this just smells to me!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #15
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Go to the bank where you have the loan to make the transaction, at least you will know your loan is paid off if it is done there. Ask the banker, where you have the loan, if he thinks there is anything that could go wrong or if once the loan is paid off you are free and clear. Then get cash for the balance of the transaction.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Google the buyer, should tell you if he is a scammer(went through this when I sold my Z28).
Waynes World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:19 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Listen to RBK
Meet up at the bank where your loan is,
Tell him to bring """CASH""" and you can pay off the loan, He can hand you anything left over and the bank will send him the title ( Usually electronically now) unless he wants a paper copy mailed to him.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Agreed to your asking price before even driving, or personally seeing the car?? How often does that happen?
rogcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:25 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If this is some sort of a scam, The buyer will"NOT" show up to the bank that is holding your title and I'm sure he will not bring "CASH"
I have sold cars and many Motorcycles that I bought with bank money and this is the only way I would ever sell anything.
The banks back in the old days did not have the title in the building but they did have the paperwork to change the title and they do have a notary on duty to verify a sale.
Ronnie

PS: If you don't feel safe carring the extra money home, You can get a cashiers check from the bank your in or just have them transfer the funds to your account. Bring a check that has your account numbers on it.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Guys, the bank we are meeting at is my personal bank where he is going to Give me the remaining cash on top of the payoff amount. At my personal bank, we will call my fiance company who is in California.. (in in nj ) and I will sign all the paperwork in person
Old 04-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You do what you want to do. Just remember that a certified cashiers check is no guarantee that it will not be unclearable and bounce on you in a few weeks.
Ronnie
Old 04-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
You do what you want to do. Just remember that a certified cashiers check is no guarantee that it will not be unclearable and bounce on you in a few weeks.
Ronnie
This x1000.

I once had a classmate fall for the whole "i'll give you more than its worth" scam on CL back in the day. We all told him he was getting scammed but he wanted that damn motorcycle they promised him for next to nothing. I also told him I was going to laugh at him AND point. I did. I thought he was going to fight me haha.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

This is nothing new,
People think that if a cashiers check is deposited into their account, it will be good. It does take a week or two to clear and that is when you find out you have been robbed.
Ronnie
Old 04-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

That's why I said cash cash cash. Only cash. If they don't use cash then I would run not walk, RUN from them.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdarkgt12 View Post
Says a dealer license would get a title from a finance company compared to a loca guy on the street.... I asked him if I was to pay the car off, and sell him the car for my asking price with title in hand, if he would accept it.. He said yes. But i'd be waiting an extra week or more for the title.
I read over this part of your post and then called a friend who is a finance manger at a large new car dealer.....he told me there is absolutely no way a dealer can get a title any faster than anyone else....he also told me reputable dealers do not work this way.......do what you want and I'll stand behind my first comment that this smells!
If this guy doesn't bring cash for the transaction I would run the other way...as was mentioned paper checks/Money Orders/Cashiers Check don't mean they are real.......this is not the way legitimate transactions work...IMHO
Old 04-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Guys... He said Ceritfied Check, not cashiers check.

Said he has an account with my car fiancing company.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The buyer can electronically transfer the money directly into your bank account,"""BUT"""
That still takes at least 24 hours minimum.

Ronnie
Old 04-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdarkgt12 View Post
Guys... He said Ceritfied Check, not cashiers check.

Said he has an account with my car fiancing company.
Certified checks can be bogus also.......if you are at your bank and he gives you the certified check.......call the bank the certified check is from on the spot and don't call the number on the check as it could be bogus also..........the only safe way to make sure there are funds available to cover the check...I'm not sure you understand how sophisticated scammers are....just my feelings.
Good luck and I hope everything turns out for you.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The buyer can electronically transfer the money directly into your bank account,"""BUT"""
That still takes at least 24 hours minimum.

Ronnie
The only problem with that is that he then has the routing code directly into your account!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Just confirmed, He will be giving me the reminder of my asking price in cash.

I owe 10k+ to the finance company
Old 04-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

I assume you have talked to your financing bank and talked about this transaction.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok remainder in cash fine. What happens when the balance on the car bounces?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 04-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Dealers will a lot of times go out of state to find cars and have them hauled back to where their business is located. He is able to pay you more for a car in your area, because they are worth a lot more in his area.

Tell him he can have the car, once the loan is paid off. Whoever owns the paperwork will not release the title until they have been paid off.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, well I made the deal. Car is sold.

Meet him at his bank where he haded me the cash I wanted ontop of the vehicle payoff.

I signed a couple of papers that list that I give him ownership to the car to my Finance company.. He then got the certified check and we went and dropped it into a fedEx drop over, overnight. I got copies of everypaper and a trcking number.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Great news, I'm glad everything went well for you.
What is your plans now?
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion