Is anti roll back manual transmission worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Is anti roll back manual transmission worth it?

For those of you who have this feature, do you think it's worth it? Is it a really good feature to have? I recently got my first manual, and hills are terrifying due to roll back, even using the e-brake trick. It's a 2012, and I learned after purchase that it's only the 2013+ models that have it. Just wondering y'all's opinions. Thanks!
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It isn't really the transmission that is holding you. It is the brakes. It is great for beginners but once you get some experience you really don't need it. My wife's Mini has it and it annoys the hell out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
It isn't really the transmission that is holding you. It is the brakes. It is great for beginners but once you get some experience you really don't need it. My wife's Mini has it and it annoys the hell out of me.
Why does it annoy you?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
My 2014 has it, and of course it was active from the factory. It was very annoying to me. The car can't read my mind and know exactly when to release the brakes, so they ended up grabbing and squawking a bit when I took off. I finally read the owners manual and went through the procedure to disable it. I agree with Robostang... it is probably OK for a person learning to drive a manual, but as soon as that person gets the hang of it, they will want to disable it.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju View Post
Why does it annoy you?
When you are really used to the aspects of a manual transmission you expect it to roll back. It never phases me when i'm up a hill. Only time i hate having a manual when i have to park next to a curb. Other than that, just taking off from an incline is no biggie.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Maybe if you lived in SF or something... For normal hills, unless some idiot is 6" from your bumper at a light you're fine. And if they are then that's their fault.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Maybe if you lived in SF or something... For normal hills, unless some idiot is 6" from your bumper at a light you're fine. And if they are then that's their fault.
You don't know how bad the drivers are around here, you have seen bump drafting in NASCAR, they learned from the people around here, and they stop behind you about as close

I have it on my 13 and I think the only time I use it is getting in my garage.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:48 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju View Post
Why does it annoy you?

Looks like others covered this question already. Believe me, it won't take long for you to get the hang of starting on hills. Just keep a hand on that e-brake until you do.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Never needed it but I also don't mind it.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I don't mind it, but I certainly wouldn't trade a 12 for a 13/14 just to get it. I've driven manual for years and its a bit odd on a hill start that the brakes hold when youre expecting it to roll back a bit. Especially when I first bought the car it how it would start on the hill as the brakes let go once it had enough forward movement.

After a couple of weeks you'll be so comfortable driving stick you won't even miss not having it. It's not a make or break feature.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I had it on my old 14 TrakPak and it never activated except when I was on a hill and had to really clamp on the brakes to make it work...the with my ATSV/6spd manual, I love it on hills...my driveway...the hill in front of our house and all the hills around us....I'm over 70 so it's nice to have that added insurance although maybe you young whipper snappers don't need it.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I think it is a great option..Of course living in a big city we have a million stop lights and this option works great on almost any grade..

Scotty in Seattle
2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I'm with Scotty 1, it depends where and what you drive on most.

I live in carnation WA which is a pretty open area even with hills so I leave the assist off. But I go into Seattle for school which is almost all stop lights right before the crest of a hill so I turn it on for those trips so I don't have to think about it.

I wouldn't trade in just for that feature though. Especially because I love the front of the 10-12 cars.

Trevorhart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
man's foot is the best anti roll back feature. The gas and brake pedals are so close it doesn'take time to throw one's foot from one to another. Even no handbrake is needed
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #15

Region: New York
I didn't realize it even had it. I found out the hard way when I was parked on an incline and felt the car was not engaging in first. It felt like it was going in reverse. When I realized it, I felt like a fool because I was very used to the car rolling. Now that I know it's there sometimes it's a help if you don't want to hold the car with the gas and clutch, something I used to do in my old station car with the dead battery that I used to park on an incline so I could start it by popping the clutch while it was rolling, boy those were the days.
ccampagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Been driving manuals for 45+ years so don't really need it but it does come in handy once in a while when that brain dead driver pulls up on your bumper at an up-hill stop light. I can see where it would be really useful for a novice manual user. At first I was beating it, getting on the clutch a bit before the brakes release. Now I've learned to feel it out and if I beat the release, just ease / feather the clutch a bit until I feel the brakes let go. It only holds the car for I think 3 seconds or so.

If you have the skills to drive a manual well, this adaptation is nothing. Not sure I understand the annoyed folks, it's just not a big deal
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
It's a nice feature, but I wouldn't make a purchase decision based on the presence of it. I have driven manuals for over 20 years and with in weeks of owning my first manual, I had to leave an event, bumper to bumper, on a hill... in the rain... You just learn to drive without it.

I had looked at so many Mustangs before purchasing my 2014 that I had forgotten it had this until I released the clutch to roll back to hit the stop sensor pad and realized I didn't roll back LOL

Like I said, nice but you probably won't need it much if ever.
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion