Mustang Evolution Forum banner

GT 500 goes sideways.

3K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  1970Fordmann 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Probably used to driving front wheel drives.:lol:

#4 ·
Let off for sure. seems like natural reaction is always to overcompensate hard. Like in the old ice days up north. Let off steer into slightly gain control brake.

#10 · (Edited)
This is the second time in the last couple days I've watched a video where a mustang driver has got a little sideways and then immediately swerved left out of control.

It makes me wonder things like:

• Did the driver only have one hand on the wheel at 12 o'clock instead of both hands on the wheel?
  • Do they have any suspension mods?

If you watch very closely, you can see where the suspension compresses and leans to the left while accelerating. The vehicle starts to get a little side ways at which point he lets off the gas, the suspension quickly uncompresses in the opposite direction launching the rear of the car to the right, which points the front of the car to the left. You can clearly see at this point that the driver doesn't turn the front wheels...at all... almost like he froze up or didn't react in time.

EDIT: Found the video I was referring to. Watch this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4OaQhyXJMA

#11 ·
I've seen that vid kiDBLITZ, if he had let off the throttle completely, after the short burnout at the beginning, all would have been fine most likely. I have people all the time wanting to see a burnout, most times I just put along in 4th gear at 20 mph :)

#13 ·
It may happen to anybody. At the first sign of sliding sideways the driver should let off the gas and simultaneously turn the steering wheel to the side of skidding. This will stop skidding sideways. But not too much wheel work! If you turn the wheel too much you may be thrown to the other side. Again, turn the wheel to the side of skidding and youy will keep the car on the road. It is better to have some practice on free wet road.

#14 ·
I remember driving a rental with crappy tires and it started to fishtail on a highway offramp in the rain. Pretty scary, but just backing off on the throttle let the car correct itself without me having to do anything else.

#26 ·
He was trying to power brake it for a cool burn out but didnt know how to heel/toe so he used his ebrake which just locked up 1 rear wheel when he figured it out and released it the car shot sideways. That or he was doing the above and then was going to ebrake initiate a 180. Both scenarios point to a former tuner

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#27 ·
All of these answers are why so many mustangs crash.
If you are spinning and the rear starts to move, the LAST thing you want to do is suddenly shift all the weight off the rear. Which is exactly what happens when you suddenly fully let off the gas, and is made twice as bad if you hit the brakes.

The best thing to do is stay on the gas, but let it out just a little bit gradually, and keep your steering pointing the way you want to go. Be ready for the car to come back into line and adjust your steering accordingly.
Most of these crashes happen because people react too quickly and too aggressively.

#28 ·
All of these answers are why so many mustangs crash.
If you are spinning and the rear starts to move, the LAST thing you want to do is suddenly shift all the weight off the rear. Which is exactly what happens when you suddenly fully let off the gas, and is made twice as bad if you hit the brakes.
Exactly. Inexperience will do that.
"Check this out. Mommy & daddy just bought me 400hp worth of rear wheel drive. Watch this!"

Learn to use the brake. If you're smoking the tires at anything over a FAST WALK, you are going to loose it, and loose it bad. Until you learn a little control.

BTW, why does it always seem to be videos of mustangs? Learn to drive people. It only takes a few to make everyone look bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.