GT 500 goes sideways. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2016, 03:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
GT 500 goes sideways.

At the first sign of losing it, the driver should have let off the throttle to correct the car right? If not what could have been done? My experience is let off the throttle immediately. https://www.facebook.com/THEREVVOLUT...9439733471981/

2014 GT/CS 6spd. with total FR suspension upgrades.
stanggtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Probably used to driving front wheel drives.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
That guy sure did a job on his car. I heard he went to the hospital.
WoodDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Let off for sure. seems like natural reaction is always to overcompensate hard. Like in the old ice days up north. Let off steer into slightly gain control brake.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yep ppl freak out when the car gets sideways and slam on the brakes. I have drifted a little back in the day and it's amazing how sideways you can get and keep control using just throttle

Sent from Rapinators trunk
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

@parkerz28, you can see the brakes lights lighting up at the end, he had it straight for a second then it went bad.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
The car hated the wheels and wanted to get rid of them.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Just looks really strange that the right rear tire was spinning and smoking and left was not....maybe something broke...in any event......stupid people doing idiotic things on a crowed street....what would you expect!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Just looks really strange that the right rear tire was spinning and smoking and left was not....maybe something broke...in any event......stupid people doing idiotic things on a crowed street....what would you expect!
I'm pretty sure if both wheels were not spinning it wouldn't fishtail like that.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
This is the second time in the last couple days I've watched a video where a mustang driver has got a little sideways and then immediately swerved left out of control.

It makes me wonder things like:
  • Did the driver only have one hand on the wheel at 12 o'clock instead of both hands on the wheel?
  • Do they have any suspension mods?

If you watch very closely, you can see where the suspension compresses and leans to the left while accelerating. The vehicle starts to get a little side ways at which point he lets off the gas, the suspension quickly uncompresses in the opposite direction launching the rear of the car to the right, which points the front of the car to the left. You can clearly see at this point that the driver doesn't turn the front wheels...at all... almost like he froze up or didn't react in time.

EDIT: Found the video I was referring to. Watch this guy:

k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen that vid kiDBLITZ, if he had let off the throttle completely, after the short burnout at the beginning, all would have been fine most likely. I have people all the time wanting to see a burnout, most times I just put along in 4th gear at 20 mph

Old 04-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

I find it harder and harder to believe people are this stupid........."Stupid is as Stupid does"...........
Old 04-11-2016, 03:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
It may happen to anybody. At the first sign of sliding sideways the driver should let off the gas and simultaneously turn the steering wheel to the side of skidding. This will stop skidding sideways. But not too much wheel work! If you turn the wheel too much you may be thrown to the other side. Again, turn the wheel to the side of skidding and youy will keep the car on the road. It is better to have some practice on free wet road.
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I remember driving a rental with crappy tires and it started to fishtail on a highway offramp in the rain. Pretty scary, but just backing off on the throttle let the car correct itself without me having to do anything else.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
The fish must have had a short tail otherwise you would would not be able to get away unscathed. The steering wheel in such situation is often your life saving companion
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

This is how you keep it under control. Pay very close attention to the front wheels through out the turn.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEKmy3VzKMl/
Old 04-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
This is how you keep it under control. Pay very close attention to the front wheels through out the turn.

That's a controlled slide....I believe they call that "drifting"....and you are powering through the slide....not quite the same...IMHO
Old 04-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Eerily similar videos. Makes me want to suspect the suspension design, unless the drivers did something stupid, aside from hammering it on those crowded streets. Something not right, I think these cars should stay relatively straight.
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflections View Post
Eerily similar videos. Makes me want to suspect the suspension design, unless the drivers did something stupid, aside from hammering it on those crowded streets. Something not right, I think these cars should stay relatively straight.
They stay straight only if the suspension is setup correctly.........IMHO
Old 04-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflections View Post
Eerily similar videos. Makes me want to suspect the suspension design,
That's why I've always questioned whether or not the drivers had modified their suspensions after I see these videos.

Most people tend to install lowering springs and think they're good to go. While that often results in an immediate visual improvement it tends to throw the rest of the suspension geometry outside of whack. You may not notice under daily driving circumstances; the problem may only rear its ugly head when pushed to the limits.

Anytime I lower a stang I do it "the right way" which takes roughly $2k worth of components all at once.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
That's a controlled slide....I believe they call that "drifting"....and you are powering through the slide....not quite the same...IMHO
I agree, the scenario is not the same but a lot of the same mechanics apply in how the driver should be responding.

This guy clearly has a proper suspension setup and is familiar with how his vehicle handles. He even hits a dip before entering the main street and stays on course.

Which reminds me, this is something every driver should do.....practice. No, don't go powersliding through city streets... I'm not advocating that.

But if you have safe area where you can push your handling (not referring to speed) to the limits without endangering yourself or others, it can make the difference between life and death in a unexpected situation.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

AHAAHAHAHAHAH! Ran across this compilation and had to share....

https://www.facebook.com/xlmsauto/vi...9235983980682/
Old 04-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
😀

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I think he should have left off of the gas as well. Poor shelby
Ferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Problem #1: Red wheels. Derp.
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
He was trying to power brake it for a cool burn out but didnt know how to heel/toe so he used his ebrake which just locked up 1 rear wheel when he figured it out and released it the car shot sideways. That or he was doing the above and then was going to ebrake initiate a 180. Both scenarios point to a former tuner

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
All of these answers are why so many mustangs crash.
If you are spinning and the rear starts to move, the LAST thing you want to do is suddenly shift all the weight off the rear. Which is exactly what happens when you suddenly fully let off the gas, and is made twice as bad if you hit the brakes.

The best thing to do is stay on the gas, but let it out just a little bit gradually, and keep your steering pointing the way you want to go. Be ready for the car to come back into line and adjust your steering accordingly.
Most of these crashes happen because people react too quickly and too aggressively.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #28
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
All of these answers are why so many mustangs crash.
If you are spinning and the rear starts to move, the LAST thing you want to do is suddenly shift all the weight off the rear. Which is exactly what happens when you suddenly fully let off the gas, and is made twice as bad if you hit the brakes.
Exactly. Inexperience will do that.
"Check this out. Mommy & daddy just bought me 400hp worth of rear wheel drive. Watch this!"

Learn to use the brake. If you're smoking the tires at anything over a FAST WALK, you are going to loose it, and loose it bad. Until you learn a little control.

BTW, why does it always seem to be videos of mustangs? Learn to drive people. It only takes a few to make everyone look bad.
twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:24 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
That's why I've always questioned whether or not the drivers had modified their suspensions after I see these videos.

Most people tend to install lowering springs and think they're good to go. While that often results in an immediate visual improvement it tends to throw the rest of the suspension geometry outside of whack. You may not notice under daily driving circumstances; the problem may only rear its ugly head when pushed to the limits.

Anytime I lower a stang I do it "the right way" which takes roughly $2k worth of components all at once.
For "safety", an aftermarket panhard to correct issues after lowering. Like you said, simply lowering is dangerous the more powerful the car in specific situations. The axle shifts off and every time you are under heavy stress or maybe "chirping" a gear, it will now spin through that gear excessively. Panhard bar took me from spinning almost completely through second sideways at the track, to small "chirp" and perfectly straight.

In my experience and opinion, backing OFF the throttle but not getting completely off of it while pointing the car where you want it is the best way I've personally controlled the car.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:26 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by twk View Post
Exactly. Inexperience will do that.
"Check this out. Mommy & daddy just bought me 400hp worth of rear wheel drive. Watch this!"

Learn to use the brake. If you're smoking the tires at anything over a FAST WALK, you are going to loose it, and loose it bad. Until you learn a little control.

BTW, why does it always seem to be videos of mustangs? Learn to drive people. It only takes a few to make everyone look bad.
The issue is usually solid axle cars, which are usually mustangs. A newer car with an LSD with T/O on, even off, still overrides a little and keeps you straight. The old school, 50:50 power on a live axle makes it quick to twist.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

Just do it with authority.. LOL
1970Fordmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion