I used NOS octane booster racing formula and needs some peoples opinion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2016, 04:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I used NOS octane booster racing formula and needs some peoples opinion

Ok guys so I drive a 2015 mustang Ecoboost and I filled up my half tank with chevron 93octane the other half already In it was shell 93octane. My friend who works at auto-zone told me about NOS octane booster racing formula and how it's not street legal so I bought it later on that night since it says it increases octane, horsepower, cleans fuel injectors etc etc. I put it in my car since I had a full tank and was wondering if I should be worried about anything the car feels more responsive to me like a whole new car but I've read octane boosters ruin spark plugs but other people put that they don't. So should I still use this every once Ina while and check my sparks plugs to check if they're ok or is this stuff not doing anything for my car and it's all my butt dyno telling me that my car feels faster when in reality it runs the same. Any help is appreciated guys thanks in advanced

Mustang Boost Logic
stangs4l1f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2016, 05:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
OK, just do a search on this "NOS octane booster racing formula" and answer your own question
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Snake oil.

The only octane booster worth a damn is Torco. And your car won't benefit from it.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
^
Exactly what Grabber said!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

^what they said. Don't waste money buying any of that stuff to put in your gas or the many "super" micro lubricants for your engine oil either.

I will say though that since I've started filling my windshield washer fluid reservoir with NOS energy drinks, I've really felt a difference and it seems smoother. I'm probably going to also start using it for my blinker fluid and gain a few more hp.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs4l1f3 View Post
Ok guys so I drive a 2015 mustang Ecoboost and I filled up my half tank with chevron 93octane the other half already In it was shell 93octane. My friend who works at auto-zone told me about NOS octane booster racing formula and how it's not street legal so I bought it later on that night since it says it increases octane, horsepower, cleans fuel injectors etc etc. I put it in my car since I had a full tank and was wondering if I should be worried about anything the car feels more responsive to me like a whole new car but I've read octane boosters ruin spark plugs but other people put that they don't. So should I still use this every once Ina while and check my sparks plugs to check if they're ok or is this stuff not doing anything for my car and it's all my butt dyno telling me that my car feels faster when in reality it runs the same. Any help is appreciated guys thanks in advanced

Mustang Boost Logic
Most Octane Boosters do nothing to boost the octane, some will actually lower HP. Most people can't feel the difference even if it added a couple of HP. Save your money. If you want more Octane mix in some racing fuel. It is expensive but it will bring the octane up.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Only difference is the weight the money took out of your pocket. One bottle might raise the octane .01.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
My buddy sometimes uses aviation fuel in his Trans AM. He swears by that stuff.

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Avgas is great as long as it's unleaded....unfortunately most Avgas...LL100 contains lead....which is what the LL stands for....and yes it is "Low Lead"....which isn't great for the CAT(s) or O2 sensor...and if you run it long enough the lead will build up on pistons/valves/seats.....which newer motors don't need. I guess the main thing is the density of the Avgas is different from normal gas and unless you tune for it your motor will run leaner...........Just buy unleaded race gas and mix it...people that take short cuts because it's cheap....well, lets just say they are one or two wrenches short of a tool set...IMHO
Old 04-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys appreciate all the info and help! Sorry if it seemed like a stupid question kinda new to stuff like this... I just thought maybe if my car benefits from 93 octane it'll benefit from NOS octane booster, but guess not I'll stop buyin this stuff and stick to using good old shell 93 v-power or Chevron 93 w/Techron with no boosters

Mustang Boost Logic
Old 04-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

This is the fuel I fill my pony tank up weekly. Its like rocket fuel for my pony.

Just a near stock 3.7
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Snake oil.

The only octane booster worth a damn is Torco. And your car won't benefit from it.

It suddenly occurred to me that "Snake Oil" may be a term the OP isn't familiar with.... I'm old and the term is definelty old, so..... He may be searching now on where to buy Snake Oil octane boost.

But seriously, just keep your muffler bearings well lubed and watch the welds on the intake manifold and you will be all set. Of course, this all really is useless unless you're running fresh air in your tires! Please tell me you don't ride around with expired air in them?
Old 04-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
It suddenly occurred to me that "Snake Oil" may be a term the OP isn't familiar with.... I'm old and the term is definelty old, so..... He may be searching now on where to buy Snake Oil octane boost.

But seriously, just keep your muffler bearings well lubed and watch the welds on the intake manifold and you will be all set. Of course, this all really is useless unless you're running fresh air in your tires! Please tell me you don't ride around with expired air in them?

Lol no I wasn't looking for searching snake oil octane boost 😂😂 I ignored that post. And no I don't run expired air in my tires.

Mustang Boost Logic
Old 04-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Last time I checked the NOS additive used by OP contains MMT. I once did some test driving with a real track car and asked the owner why the tailpipes had red deposits. He said MMT and not for street use!

One bottle of consumer MMT product probably won't kill the O2 sensors or cats but your spark plugs may show a reddish color. Any benefit from the NOS product is injector & valve cleaning which makes a big difference for an everyday street car.
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryak View Post
Last time I checked the NOS additive used by OP contains MMT. I once did some test driving with a real track car and asked the owner why the tailpipes had red deposits. He said MMT and not for street use!

One bottle of consumer MMT product probably won't kill the O2 sensors or cats but your spark plugs may show a reddish color. Any benefit from the NOS product is injector & valve cleaning which makes a big difference for an everyday street car.
Most of the gas from brand name Oil and Gas companies are formulated to clean your injectors and valves. Save your money and by gas from one of the large companies.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Personally I'd buy the Lucas Oil brand booster. Why? Because I saw on TV where this little old lady put some in her full size Ford and beat some guy in his race car at the track!! Must be good stuff.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
Most of the gas from brand name Oil and Gas companies are formulated to clean your injectors and valves. Save your money and by gas from one of the large companies.
The problem is Top Tier gas barely has enough detergent to keep a new typical engine clean. The OP's Eco-boost is direct injection turbo and most Top Tier gas is tested in older tech engines. Driving habits like short trips and engine & injector design have an effect too. Just 1 bottle of a good gas additive will clean faster than several tanks of Shell V power which has 7 x the EPA minimum detergent content which tells you something about how low the standards are

Disclaimer: I'm not in real life a snake oil salesman!
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryak View Post

Damn Ima stop using this stuff for sure I don't want ruined sparked plugs. Thanks for the info

Mustang Boost Logic
Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Octane booster

The reason high octane fuels cost so much more is the compounds that are added as cleaning agents and octane boosters.
The most common octane booster is Zylene (zylol). Zylene has an octane rating of 117 so if you mix 1 gallon of Zylene with 3 gallons 93 octane gasoline you've raised the overall octane to 99.
It's not recommended to use extensively since Zylene can erode o-rings in the fuel lines and injectors over time. It is perfectly safe to use ocasionally, however, it won't do much good in a low compression engine tuned for 93 octane.

By the way Zylene is sold commercially and available at most paint and hardware stores...it's also marketed as a paint/varnish thinner.
Kelleniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelleniz View Post
The reason high octane fuels cost so much more is the compounds that are added as cleaning agents and octane boosters.
The most common octane booster is Zylene (zylol). Zylene has an octane rating of 117 so if you mix 1 gallon of Zylene with 3 gallons 93 octane gasoline you've raised the overall octane to 99.
It's not recommended to use extensively since Zylene can erode o-rings in the fuel lines and injectors over time. It is perfectly safe to use ocasionally, however, it won't do much good in a low compression engine tuned for 93 octane.

By the way Zylene is sold commercially and available at most paint and hardware stores...it's also marketed as a paint/varnish thinner.
Are you meaning to say Xylene because Zylene is a dietary supplement and Xylene is aromatic hydrocarbon.....just thought you should know.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yep...Xylene (xylol)
Sorry for the obvious spelling error, must be drunker than I thought.
Kelleniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Thought I'd post this since it is kind of relevant;

Homebrew Octane Boosters
Old 04-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Higher octane does exactly 0 to your HP/tq. All octane does is ****** the flash point of the gas. So higher octane is harder to flash than lower octane. If your car doesn't need 500 octane, you're not going to see any benefit from running it.

If you 'feel' faster because you upped octane (especially the minimal amount a bottle of octane boost gives you) it's only because your butt dyno needs recalibrated.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Higher octane does exactly 0 to your HP/tq. All octane does is ****** the flash point of the gas. So higher octane is harder to flash than lower octane. If your car doesn't need 500 octane, you're not going to see any benefit from running it.

If you 'feel' faster because you upped octane (especially the minimal amount a bottle of octane boost gives you) it's only because your butt dyno needs recalibrated.

Good to know so nothing over 93 octane will benefit me I drive a Ecoboost

Mustang Boost Logic
Old 04-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I really wonder what the forum is censoring in my post, I think I typed raise. Which I don't think is profanity :laugh:

But for octane. An engine can make exactly xxx power. Raising the octane won't raise the xxx. BUT, with newer engines, if you run a lower octane and it detects detonation it will ****** your timing and that can make it produce less power.

An engines octane requirement isn't static, there are a lot of variables that can decrease what it actually needs. Elevation is one I deal with all the time. I'm at 6-7k feet, you can't find 94 octane up here. The highest you'll find at the pump is 91. A high compression engine requires less octane the higher you go. I've run 12:1 compression on 85, no issues. Try the same at sea level and I'm probably going to have problems.

Low load, you can also get by with less. But increase the work (towing etc) and you'll be having detonation issues.

Forced induction alone, I'd feel less comfy running lower octane though just for safety.

But (again) your engine only produces xxx hp under very limited use. So if you're doing a DD, you probably spend a majority of your time making 30-50hp, even if the engine can make 5000hp. So even if your mod makes an extra 5 hp, it's probably only for about 1/2 a second that the extra 5 is there. And really, if you're driving a 5hp gokart and extra 5hp is night and day difference. In a 300'ish hp car, no tangible difference whatsoever without using machines to measure it.

Or long story short, just run pump gas and don't worry about the rest

*edit* ok, looks like the forum doesn't like the word ******.

Since I'm guessing I just got censored again, it's the word you use in reference to timing that is the opposite of advance. :laugh:
Old 04-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So if that's the case , why does regular gas produce less horsepower on the 4 banger turbo? In order to get the 310 HP one needs to use premium fuel. Using regular fuel produces a good but less like 290 HP or something like that.

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 04-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Octane is a measure of a fuels ability to resistance knock....plain and simple.
Every motor is different and the story of changing gas from 91 to 92 in my 14 is old news the same as running 116 VP in my 15.1CR 408.

So to recap what happened....when I was tuning my 14 with AED/SCT tunner and running data logs I could actually see the knock on the data logger although I couldn't hear it or feel it. I was running Chevron 91 because I had believed for years that was the best I could get until I switched to 92 Costco. After 1 tank of Costco 92 gas the knock was gone. Yes, I ran the Chevron 91 from more than one local station before switching to Costco 92 and although there are many variables to consider good quality gas and the ability of this 92 to resist knock sold me....
Old 04-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I really wonder what the forum is censoring in my post, I think I typed raise. Which I don't think is profanity :laugh:

But for octane. An engine can make exactly xxx power. Raising the octane won't raise the xxx. BUT, with newer engines, if you run a lower octane and it detects detonation it will ****** your timing and that can make it produce less power.

An engines octane requirement isn't static, there are a lot of variables that can decrease what it actually needs. Elevation is one I deal with all the time. I'm at 6-7k feet, you can't find 94 octane up here. The highest you'll find at the pump is 91. A high compression engine requires less octane the higher you go. I've run 12:1 compression on 85, no issues. Try the same at sea level and I'm probably going to have problems.

Low load, you can also get by with less. But increase the work (towing etc) and you'll be having detonation issues.

Forced induction alone, I'd feel less comfy running lower octane though just for safety.

But (again) your engine only produces xxx hp under very limited use. So if you're doing a DD, you probably spend a majority of your time making 30-50hp, even if the engine can make 5000hp. So even if your mod makes an extra 5 hp, it's probably only for about 1/2 a second that the extra 5 is there. And really, if you're driving a 5hp gokart and extra 5hp is night and day difference. In a 300'ish hp car, no tangible difference whatsoever without using machines to measure it.

Or long story short, just run pump gas and don't worry about the rest

*edit* ok, looks like the forum doesn't like the word ******.

Since I'm guessing I just got censored again, it's the word you use in reference to timing that is the opposite of advance. :laugh:

Thanks. great help! and I wonder what it censors as well 😂

Mustang Boost Logic
Old 04-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
It sensors re tard

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
It sensors re tard

Well if you'd like to get technical it's "it's sensors" not "it sensor" ****** 🤗

Mustang Boost Logic
Old 04-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I literally meant that it sensors re tard as in the word.

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:39 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I literally meant that it sensors re tard as in the word.

Whatever it's a mistake...we all make them

Mustang Boost Logic
Old 04-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs4l1f3 View Post
Whatever it's a mistake...we all make them

Mustang Boost Logic
Actually, wouldn't it be "It CENSORS ". Not sensors.

Bunch of tards.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:38 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
So if that's the case , why does regular gas produce less horsepower on the 4 banger turbo? In order to get the 310 HP one needs to use premium fuel. Using regular fuel produces a good but less like 290 HP or something like that.

Just a near stock 3.7

Because you just have to believe me Re-read what I wrote and the answer is there.

Or I could type more . The gas is the same, it has the exact same amount of energy available in it regardless of the octane. It will never have 1 more or less HP. The difference is the engine.

Forced induction is pretty much the same as increasing compression ratio when it comes to octane. We fall back on load etc. If you're driving normally, light load, low octane will work just fine. Your engine will never produce 290+ hp because you're not demanding it just cruising around.

Put the throttle down though, boost goes up and basically so does your compression ratio. Now octane plays a part. Low octane, your computer will likely start detecting some pre-detonation pretty quick. That's when it will re tard timing, that's what cuts your HP down. But if you run higher octane, the computer can advance timing as normal and the engine can then produce all the power it can during that brief time that you're in that RPM range.

NA engine, standard compression ratio, regular fuel octane is more than enough (for most engines in good repair) that the computer can fully advance the timing and there will be no detonation. In that case higher octane than is needed does you 0 extra good. Your engine is already doing everything it can. It's just more money spent then needed to be spent.

It's not the energy in the fuel, and not the octane in the fuel. It's what is happening in your engine with the fuel/load requirement that dictates what octane you need.

On top of all that. IF your engine is older with lower compression or not in good repair, especially the ignition system higher octane is BAD. It takes more energy to ignite higher octane fuel (that's it's entire purpose). If your ignition system is deficient, it will do a poor job and you will make less HP than you would running standard octane.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion