FYI for prospective EB Mustang buyers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
FYI for prospective EB Mustang buyers

Just a heads up for 2015+ Ecoboost Mustang prospective buyers. It has new nicknames,
ECOBOMB. ECOBOOM
I'm not an EB hater. I almost bought one but got my $2k deposit back and got a 5.0 S197 instead. Wanted the V8 but only had total budget of $26k.
Apparently there are quite a few now developing issues such as. .... Blown up motors.
I'm not trolling, check yourselves. Check other forums that are more S550 friendly like Mustang 6G.
Plenty of people suddenly having major engine issues and most if not all are tuned ones. Many of which are being summarily denied warranty coverage because of mods and tunes, even after returned to stock before being towed in. Ford must be fully aware and issuing memos, directives and more than likely making sure they can and do deny warranty repairs on those EBs if they can find any reason to do so. Even just a CAI or pedalmax.
Check into this yourselves, it seems like genuine posts on this from forum members with many many previous posts and not brand new members.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Is there any information as to what seems to be the point of failure on those blown up engines? Pistons, rods, crank, block, etc?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
FWIW there is a lot of case law that says a manufacturer can't deny warranty coverage for a part being added unless they can prove the part is what caused the failure.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 04:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
FWIW there is a lot of case law that says a manufacturer can't deny warranty coverage for a part being added unless they can prove the part is what caused the failure.
But a Tuner changes the parameters that the engine is running under, blow the motor and they can and will blame the tune. The fact that the engine is not running and the ECU is reflashed makes you the owner of a Turbocharged boat anchor.
Find out if your Tune company offers any kind of warranty if the tune screws your motor. Some will help pay or help fight to get Ford to pay if they have the proof that their tune was not the culprit.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Ford doesn't have to prove anything if one has changed certain parameters in a computer. If you want to go to court and fight them....well you'll lose.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Exactly.. Here's the rub... Ford doesn't have to prove anything..YOU do.
All they have to do is deny deny deny repairing under warranty because of "xyz" mod you did. And WHAT are you going to do about it? Cry, throw a tantrum, call your mommy, call the cops.???
No, what you have to do is..make phone calls, write emails, write more, call more, call more. Hire an attorney? Good luck with that, sure they'll take your money but when you admit to them you did have a tune, did have mods etc, they'll hopefully let you know the fight is a losing battle with a slight chance of victory. In which the outcome would be...they actually end up fixing it under warranty after all.
And in the meantime, it's been weeks, months and $$$ later that you won't be reimbursed.
So, ya. Case law..bla bla You still lose even if you win.
You really think if your blown engine case went to court....months down the line, that a judge will hear about you having "tuned" or modded your new car.. And then decide Ford should have to fix your car when you F'd with it?
Old 04-14-2016, 06:05 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

+1 on Grabber & Waylap.

it's only on paper Ford has to prove it.....is there a chance you'll win after going to court = yes! but until then if Ford just says "it was the tune/suspension/exhaust/pine tree air freshener" they can easily deny wtty coverage and possession (of the wtty service) is 9/10ths of the law.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
But a Tuner changes the parameters that the engine is running under, blow the motor and they can and will blame the tune. The fact that the engine is not running and the ECU is reflashed makes you the owner of a Turbocharged boat anchor.
Find out if your Tune company offers any kind of warranty if the tune screws your motor. Some will help pay or help fight to get Ford to pay if they have the proof that their tune was not the culprit.
Messing with the computer isn't a part. A cai as mentioned in the op above, is. 2 different things.

If you use their parts as intended, there's little to worry about engine wise. Short of a power adder, hard parts don't do much. No manufacturer is building an engine that's on the very edge of becoming shrapnel. There is a lot of safety room built in.

Once you start playing in the computer it's not hard to destroy an engine. A bad tune does bad things. Ask any tuner how hard it is to use a laptop to make a boat anchor. If that happens, and you retune to stock to try and get Ford to cover your damage, they're not the bad guys. The computer is hard to mess with for a reason.

Put on hard parts, swap them back to stock parts, odds are pretty slim the manufacturer can have any way of every knowing. Flash the CPU, good chance they can see that as soon as they plug in. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as simple as a date code for the flash not matching the time the car was built.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

There aren't any worthwhile parts that you can add without a tune anyways. There goes your powertrain warranty.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I think if an owner is going to "adjust" his car, he or she should be prepared for the possible negative outcome and not be surprised Ford won't fix it for free.

This is the very reason I haven't tuned my GT. I want to! But I need a dependable long distance driver, the risk of blowing up my motor isn't worth it to me.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
OP do you have any specifics? The fact that some people are blowing their cars up doesn't mean the cars are bad just. It could very well be a few people who don't know how to mod there cars. With turbo cars it's so easy to turn up the boost people do it without the proper supporting mods and wonder why it blows. The same thing happened with the turbo eclipses. If tuned right it was fine and actually a great engine but kids would add a boost controller and wonder why it blew up.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
I think if an owner is going to "adjust" his car, he or she should be prepared for the possible negative outcome and not be surprised Ford won't fix it for free.

This is the very reason I haven't tuned my GT. I want to! But I need a dependable long distance driver, the risk of blowing up my motor isn't worth it to me.
^^^this is exactly what I was thinking. Why would anyone tune an EB anyways? I've drove one, and they're spunky enough. Why not at least get the 3.7 if your slightly power hungry..

I also agree about not tuning the GT, as soon as we change factory perimeters to gain power, we are shortening the life of our motors by running it harder. Of course, to utilize any bolt ons to their full potential, we need the tune, so it's really all on the owner. The coyotes are extremely fast stock, but everybody wants more.

If my car was under warranty/New car, I wouldn't dare mess with its brains! Shoot, Ford probably has some system now that tells them when the new cars computers are being manipulated as it's happening lol

I have been looking at EB's lately (for the kid), so now I'm curious to see if there's problems reported with completely stock EB motors

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
OP do you have any specifics? The fact that some people are blowing their cars up doesn't mean the cars are bad just. It could very well be a few people who don't know how to mod there cars. With turbo cars it's so easy to turn up the boost people do it without the proper supporting mods and wonder why it blows. The same thing happened with the turbo eclipses. If tuned right it was fine and actually a great engine but kids would add a boost controller and wonder why it blew up.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Nobody is saying these cars are "bad". I'm just reading posts by fellow forum members who are reporting their own issues on a sister Mustang web forum. 6G.

I'm inferring that perhaps...perhaps, all this prior talk and hype of the EB being built and engineered with the intention of it being able to be modded into a super car. It is not and never was meant for that. It is Fords gas efficient model of the new Mustang. Yes it has a turbo and makes impressive power and torque for what it is. But that's all it is and was meant to be.
Some of those EB owners who pushed their luck are now finding that they've wasted 30 thousand dollars foolishly thinking that Ford will fix it or that Ford secretly engineered this car to be a GT killer. Um no folks...Ford made a fuel and power efficient model with a much smaller tolerance than people have fabricated or expected.

My wife's 2013 2.0T Fusion could have a bigger turbo, more boost, CAI, tune,...run 9 second quarter miles also..... But only once.
This is jus a "heads up" for those with EB dreams of tearing up the streets and going full Civic on their brand new , warranty covered EB Mustangs. Do some research, make sure you're not doing yourself and a brand new car a serious disservice.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post

Can't argue with this sir. I personally had my pony tuned around 5K miles. 😜

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Nobody is saying these cars are "bad". I'm just reading posts by fellow forum members who are reporting their own issues on a sister Mustang web forum. 6G.

I'm inferring that perhaps...perhaps, all this prior talk and hype of the EB being built and engineered with the intention of it being able to be modded into a super car. It is not and never was meant for that. It is Fords gas efficient model of the new Mustang. Yes it has a turbo and makes impressive power and torque for what it is. But that's all it is and was meant to be.
Some of those EB owners who pushed their luck are now finding that they've wasted 30 thousand dollars foolishly thinking that Ford will fix it or that Ford secretly engineered this car to be a GT killer. Um no folks...Ford made a fuel and power efficient model with a much smaller tolerance than people have fabricated or expected.

My wife's 2013 2.0T Fusion could have a bigger turbo, more boost, CAI, tune,...run 9 second quarter miles also..... But only once.
This is jus a "heads up" for those with EB dreams of tearing up the streets and going full Civic on their brand new , warranty covered EB Mustangs. Do some research, make sure you're not doing yourself and a brand new car a serious disservice.
As I said without knowing specifics its hard to say if its a flaw in the engine or the user. AM has their EB project car tuned close to 400 HP I believe and it didn't blow. The thing is with a factory boosted car it is so easy to 'just turn the boost up' that unless you do it right things will blow. If someone puts a turbo on a Coyote and increases boost without proper turner or supporting mods it will blow and nobody is going to blame the engine.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion