News: Ford warranty bulletin - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Exclamation News: Ford warranty bulletin

Copypasta'd from another forum but good info to take a look at. Might not be able to "flash back to stock" for warranty work much longer or even as of this release.

Ford put its dealers on alert to look out for warranty-voiding modifications
By Steve Turner

There has always been a delicate dance between Ford as a manufacturer selling vehicles with comprehensive warranties and the company that promotes the fun of performance vehicles. At the SEMA Show the spectacle is all about how cool it is to use these vehicles as a blank canvas for modifications. However, as cool as that is, you could be jeopardizing your warranty if you take part in the fun.

As most of us know, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act allows consumers to install aftermarket products on their vehicles without voiding the manufacturer warranty. However, if those modifications can be attributed as the cause for a failure, things change. It would seem that Ford is getting more serious about limiting its warranty liability from such modifications, as it recently issued a General Service Bulletin to its dealers titled Gas Engine Performance Modifications.

“This bulletin is intended to be used by technicians when servicing vehicles that have suspected aftermarket modifications. If an aftermarket modification can be associated with the need for a repair, that repair may not be warrantable. To make this determination, the technician should refer to the aftermarket modifications flowchart (Chart 1),” says the bulletin. “The following pages supplement the flowchart through pictures and descriptions of common aftermarket modifications and possible associated failures. This document is not exclusive and aftermarket modifications may exist that are not covered here.”

The bulletin includes a flow chart to help dealer tech determine if a part failure can be attributed to a modification. Moreover, it goes on to detail the kinds of parts to be on the lookout for from simple bolt-on parts like turbo blow-off valves and cold-air induction systems to performance calibrations and aftermarket superchargers. It even includes photos of popular mods like the JLT cold air and the VMP TVS supercharger.

Of course one of the most popular mods for any car isn’t visible by looking under the hood, and the bulletin offers an extensive primer on how to determine if the factory PCM has been flashed with an aftermarket performance calibration.

“Aftermarket calibrations are used to increase engine performance by altering calibratable parameters such as rev limit, spark advance and air/fuel ratio,” says the bulletin. “Most aftermarket tuners advise the customer to reflash the PCM back to the stock calibration when bringing the car in for any warranty work.”

While enthusiasts have long known they were walking a tight rope when modifying their new, under-warranty vehicles, you can expect even more scrutiny when you bring your car in for warranty work.

For more on what the dealers are looking for, you can download the 29-page bulletin here, and if you are concerned you might run into trouble with your car, the Special Vehicle Market Association has advice for you right here.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Philosophical question: how stingy can you make a warranty and still have it actually *be* a warranty?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Long story short... If you did anything to your car that increases the torque by +1 from factory, work will not be warrantied on ANY part of the car lol.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

As stingy as they want I imagine.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
They have to cover at least one part. Maybe the upper left lug nut on the driver's front wheel. However, once you drive the car off the lot, you can't tell which one is the upper left anymore, so warranty void.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
News: Ford warranty bulletin

Good thing some of us don't have deal with this warranty BS.

Respect the Classics.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I always wondered when they'd start putting some sort of tune tracking device in the cars computer, I'm sure they'll be coming soon. Wonder if they're already here?
I'd never mod a warrantied motor anyways, isn't that basically like playing with fire?
Can't really blame Ford or the warranty people for protecting themselves....good info though

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
I always wondered when they'd start putting some sort of tune tracking device in the cars computer, I'm sure they'll be coming soon. Wonder if they're already here?
I'd never mod a warrantied motor anyways, isn't that basically like playing with fire?
Can't really blame Ford or the warranty people for protecting themselves....good info though

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
The copperhead ecu (2011+) records all data including previous flashes.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Thanks that is very appreciated. I knew part of it but I know that many people don't. Very detailed and explicit.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I think at least mustang societies know this quite well. The Ford document still indicates that in order to void warranty the dealer need prove that it is the modified part causing the problem.

As for the tune thing, dealers already have tool to check if the engine is tuned even if it is re-flashed back to factory tune before the owner takes his vehicle to service. Ford just mentions that again. If a tune causes problem, we can't blame Ford doesn't honor warranty.
alfaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Question . . Is it just a readers?

Question . . . Many of the Ford dealers in our area have a tool that hooks to the OBD II when you first ck in for an oil change for example which I am told cks for battery condition, VIN # etc and also the alignment of the four wheels. There is a overhead laser equipment that ties in with the reader hooked to the OBD.
The service mgr tell me it is a reader only and will not ck for codes or anything else.

Anybody have an informed opinion on this. Should one refuse to havez the service person even hook this up.
retiredf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The more advanced technology gets, the more people invade our privacy and play with our freedom. I'm glad to a large extent that I drive older vehicles. Sure, they have computers, but they are nothing like the stuff on today's cars.

It doesn't take much to find out about a person's driving habits, and possibly their history, just by plugging into the car's computer. Locksmiths are not needed to open new cars, the owners can make a call and have the car opened, or use a phone app. If you're in an accident the sensors in the car have the ability to notify emergency services, and locate you via GPS. While those may seem like great features, they bother me.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Ford spends billions of dollars designing and manufacturing new vehicles and engines -- all with a stalwart safety margin build in to protect them from warranty claims.
Then an owner buys a product to retune those parameters designed in a back room, by someone who has never worked for Ford, which product takes away the safety margins designed in by Ford...........now, if I was Ford? ANY aftermarket tune = NO warranty for the engine.
And, the person who designed the NEW tune should be the one to replace your engine if it is damaged by THEIR tune.
Expecting Ford to replace a retuned engine is like repainting your car, and then expecting Ford to repaint the car under warranty if the new paint goes bad.
In short --- you play, you pay.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Ford spends billions of dollars designing and manufacturing new vehicles and engines -- all with a stalwart safety margin build in to protect them from warranty claims.
Then an owner buys a product to retune those parameters designed in a back room, by someone who has never worked for Ford, which product takes away the safety margins designed in by Ford...........now, if I was Ford? ANY aftermarket tune = NO warranty for the engine.
And, the person who designed the NEW tune should be the one to replace your engine if it is damaged by THEIR tune.
Expecting Ford to replace a retuned engine is like repainting your car, and then expecting Ford to repaint the car under warranty if the new paint goes bad.
There's the liability angle too that we need to factor in whether we like lawyers or not. If a vehicle is involved in an accident and there is loss of life, who do you think is going to get sued? I think Ford is acting on the premise that if their car was compromised and then involved in an accident Ford will still be sued and loose.

By voiding the warranty, Ford is off the hook liability wise? I'm just thinking out loud and I could be entirely wrong.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
The more advanced technology gets, the more people invade our privacy and play with our freedom. I'm glad to a large extent that I drive older vehicles. Sure, they have computers, but they are nothing like the stuff on today's cars.

It doesn't take much to find out about a person's driving habits, and possibly their history, just by plugging into the car's computer. Locksmiths are not needed to open new cars, the owners can make a call and have the car opened, or use a phone app. If you're in an accident the sensors in the car have the ability to notify emergency services, and locate you via GPS. While those may seem like great features, they bother me.

I see where you are coming from but voiding a warranty because of an aftermarket tune is not an invasion of privacy or taking away any freedoms. Imho... They are well within their rights to void a warranty where the owner has changed the operating parameters of the motor. Especially with how many ppl are running canned tunes for life that basically are "good enough" tunes.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
There's the liability angle too that we need to factor in whether we like lawyers or not. If a vehicle is involved in an accident and there is loss of life, who do you think is going to get sued? I think Ford is acting on the premise that if their car was compromised and then involved in an accident Ford will still be sued and loose.

By voiding the warranty, Ford is off the hook liability wise? I'm just thinking out loud and I could be entirely wrong.
I hear what your saying. So then hypothetically, if Ford washes its hands of a car if tuned will the manufacture of the tune be held liable? After all it was their product or the use of their tune in this case that void the warranty because of increased performance that caused lose of control that caused a loss of life or property damage...
I understand it's your choice to tune or not to tune but if I'm not mistaken gun manufacturers are being sued because their product killed someone....

I saw an ad by a tune manufacturer on YouTube or something using a sct to modify the speed and RPM limiter to prevent the newbies behind the wheel from having the full power of the vehicle. Which I thought was a cool idea and in that scenario may have saved lives...IMO

I wonder what extended warranties say abt mods? Damn it I wanna tune...
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

heebe_geebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe View Post
Most extended warranties can be voided for any Aftermarket anything if they want to be jerks about it, since it is not a Ford warranty you need to read the fine print.
I know a bunch of Lighting owners that voided their warranty by pitting a chip in there ECU, for it to work the grease had to be cleaned off and it scratched the last pin on the plug in.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
Most extended warranties can be voided for any Aftermarket anything if they want to be jerks about it, since it is not a Ford warranty you need to read the fine print.
I know a bunch of Lighting owners that voided their warranty by pitting a chip in there ECU, for it to work the grease had to be cleaned off and it scratched the last pin on the plug in.
Wow that's rough man...
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

heebe_geebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I see where you are coming from but voiding a warranty because of an aftermarket tune is not an invasion of privacy or taking away any freedoms. Imho... They are well within their rights to void a warranty where the owner has changed the operating parameters of the motor. Especially with how many ppl are running canned tunes for life that basically are "good enough" tunes.

I'm not disagreeing about the warranty issue. Ford is covering their butt, and they should. I was simply venting a frustration concerning the ease we are allowing complete strangers into our lives.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe View Post
I hear what your saying. So then hypothetically, if Ford washes its hands of a car if tuned will the manufacture of the tune be held liable? After all it was their product or the use of their tune in this case that void the warranty because of increased performance that caused lose of control that caused a loss of life or property damage...
I understand it's your choice to tune or not to tune but if I'm not mistaken gun manufacturers are being sued because their product killed someone....

I saw an ad by a tune manufacturer on YouTube or something using a sct to modify the speed and RPM limiter to prevent the newbies behind the wheel from having the full power of the vehicle. Which I thought was a cool idea and in that scenario may have saved lives...IMO

Exactly! If gun manufacturers can be sued, and I have no dog in this hunt, for damages so can Ford. As rediculous as this is the cost to Ford for lawyer fees etc. is enough for Ford to do everything they can to excempt themselves from lawsuits.

Again I don't really have any knowledge about this. I'm just saying.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I'm not disagreeing about the warranty issue. Ford is covering their butt, and they should. I was simply venting a frustration concerning the ease we are allowing complete strangers into our lives.

You have facebook or any social media? Hell on this forum you can have your IP pulled and anyone who REALLY wants to can probably dig up 80% of info about anyone on the interwebs. It is what it is. I'm about to delete goddamn facebook actually, I hate it. All it is is ppl crying about their lives or posting memes or politics or whatever. Blah. I miss when it was college only.

Anyway... I do remember there was a big stink made at Ford right when the first new SHOs were released and someone had a motor meltdown on them. Ford replaced the thing so fast the guy basically didn't even lose any time behind the wheel because they didn't want any bad press. Shipped the blown motor and ECU back to the factory and found out that it had already been messed with. That kind of crap they want to avoid, that dude should have been out $9k for a new motor and turbos.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You have facebook or any social media? Hell on this forum you can have your IP pulled and anyone who REALLY wants to can probably dig up 80% of info about anyone on the interwebs. It is what it is. I'm about to delete goddamn facebook actually, I hate it. All it is is ppl crying about their lives or posting memes or politics or whatever. Blah. I miss when it was college only.

Anyway... I do remember there was a big stink made at Ford right when the first new SHOs were released and someone had a motor meltdown on them. Ford replaced the thing so fast the guy basically didn't even lose any time behind the wheel because they didn't want any bad press. Shipped the blown motor and ECU back to the factory and found out that it had already been messed with. That kind of crap they want to avoid, that dude should have been out $9k for a new motor and turbos.
I'm not a member of the Facebook community. I played with it for a while, but like you just stated, it's nothing except a public forum for people to display drama. It wasn't amusing to me, it was pathetic.

...and yes, anyone that knows how can snag info from people. We live in a scary world.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
+1 on this. If/when I have a problem that might need addressing by Ford, I'm not taking stuff off and returning back to stock tune. I'd be a week, then crap would get lost, I'd mess something up...no way. I rolled the dice and daaaam its been worth it!!! Had I blown the motor or tranny after 5-10k and had to pay for it, I'd be singing a different tune but wouldn't be crying to Ford!
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
It's really simple. Ford warranties the car that Ford built. When we play with the ECU and things, it is no longer the car that Ford built. I've gone through 3 engines. None of the failures were Ford's fault, and I paid for replacement; the car Ford built ran fine. The car I built with a turbo wasn't up to Ford to fix under warranty
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It's really simple. Ford warranties the car that Ford built. When we play with the ECU and things, it is no longer the car that Ford built. I've gone through 3 engines. None of the failures were Ford's fault, and I paid for replacement; the car Ford built ran fine. The car I built with a turbo wasn't up to Ford to fix under warranty
DANG!!...........Three engines? I take it all were not complete rebuilds in the $8,000 to $10,000 range each?
A head gasket or burned piston here or there might be worth it, but if all were new engines -- I think I'd have given up -- maybe after the second one?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
DANG!!...........Three engines? I take it all were not complete rebuilds in the $8,000 to $10,000 range each?
A head gasket or burned piston here or there might be worth it, but if all were new engines -- I think I'd have given up -- maybe after the second one?
Broke 2 pistons and blew the head gaskets first time I went WOT with the turbo, bad tuning that time.
Second one was a used engine with only 5,000 miles on it, broke a piston due to over-boosting (5 lb spring in the waste gate and it hit 15lbs).
Third engine everything seemed to be fine, solved the over-boost problem. Then for some reason - severe oil blow by. Shooting out of the driver side valve cover, no vacuum for the brakes.

So, pulled the turbo, sold the kit, and put engine #4 in. Gave up on the turbo.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Broke 2 pistons and blew the head gaskets first time I went WOT with the turbo, bad tuning that time.
Second one was a used engine with only 5,000 miles on it, broke a piston due to over-boosting (5 lb spring in the waste gate and it hit 15lbs).
Third engine everything seemed to be fine, solved the over-boost problem. Then for some reason - severe oil blow by. Shooting out of the driver side valve cover, no vacuum for the brakes.

So, pulled the turbo, sold the kit, and put engine #4 in. Gave up on the turbo.
BUT!!! The fourth time might have been the one!

At least you tried and you're not crying about the outcome.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion