What were the Late Model SN95 Designers Thinking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
What were the Late Model SN95 Designers Thinking

The New Edge Mustangs are one of my favorite body styles. I spent three months, and communicated with almost 300 people to locate the car I have. The sharp angles give the car a muscular appearance that still stands out today. As with all things, I have an opinion as to what should or could have been done differently.

One thing that bothers me is a cosmetic issue with the front end. Whenever I see my car, or another New Edge from the side, my eye is drawn to the front bumper cover. The off-set angle does not match the lines of the side skirts. A departure and approach angle are great features for Jeeps (I have a Grand Cherokee, and those steep angles have been needed before). However, when I look at my Mustang, I don't want my mind to immediately visualize a Jeep.

Sure, the front end will drag if drivers are not careful. Concrete parking barriers become tiny impenatrative walls. Speed humps, speed bumps, drive way dips, and road debris all become an immediate threat to the front of the car. An even, matching line would look better in my opinion regardless of the new obstacles. In reality, those obstacles are still a threat once they are under the car. Another plus is that the owners of these cars could possibly become more aware of their surroundings.

The Corvette from the same era did not sacrifice looks or aerodynamics with an upturned nose. My WS6 Trans Am was a missile looking to grind its front bumper on everything in its path. I even owned a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and the snout was nice and low.

I know, I am whining about a bumper cover. I have nothing better to do at the moment, and as I walked from the house to my studio the side profile if my 02 grabbed my attention and kept it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They have to appeal to the masses and ppl don't want to be scraping over everything. That's also why the car looks like a 4x4 with stock suspension. Gotta remember with these cars they were working with a 1978 Fairmont chassis so concessions definitely had to be made in some areas.

But... the aftermarket has a ton of options to fix it. Lots of ppl convert to the Termi bumper because it is cheap, flows well and looks good. Or the 99/01 bumper with a Mach lip. The GT bumper doesn't look half bad with a Mach lip either.

I also hate the GT side skirts and the rear GT bumper I'm not a huge fan of. The Termi rear bumper and side skirts are much better, the Bullitt skirts are good too. The sail panels... See I dunno if I like the GT or the Bullitt/Mach ones better. You can also swap them with SN95 sail panels as well.

Basically its nice to have these cars because there are so many options to go with.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have a Mach 1 chin spoiler / air splitter, but that still leaves the car with its nose in the air.

...and unfortunately mass produced cars have to compromise. I do like the Terminator bumper cover. It's clean, not bulky and obnoxious, and should be a direct swap if I ever change the cover out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Let me take back what I said about the Terminator front bumper. I like the fact that the bottom of the cover meets the same line as the side skirt. The cover itself is rather bulbous. It looks like an over inflated and bloated Cobra bumper. In reality, that is what it is.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I always thought the best looking front bumper on any 94-04 is the 94-98 Cobra.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I always thought the best looking front bumper on any 94-04 is the 94-98 Cobra.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I don't think you can fit that big jelly bean front bumper on a New Edge.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sounds like you need suspension 👍

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
Sounds like you need suspension 👍

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I don't believe suspension is going to flatten the upturned snout of the car. It may bring it a little closer to the ground, but it will do little for the body profile.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Is it possible Ford was complying with the European car design laws governing car front height for pedestrian safety?
Taking the Hit: How Pedestrian-Protection Regs Make Cars Fatter - Feature - Car and Driver
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
Is it possible Ford was complying with the European car design laws governing car front height for pedestrian safety?
Taking the Hit: How Pedestrian-Protection Regs Make Cars Fatter - Feature - Car and Driver
Impressive; Europeans plan and prep to run over people with their cars.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Lower the Front end 1.5" & a Mach 1 Chin Spoiler looks good!!!
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...5526-37008.jpg
My old 04
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion