Smoked light covers or tints? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Smoked light covers or tints?

So I have new-to-me 2012 Kona Blue Mustang, and the previous owner put on smoked headlight covers and smoked taillight covers. I didn't like it at first, but have grown to love the look. The only thing is that the covers have some sort of white logo branding on them, so I have been looking into just getting replacement smoked headlight and taillight covers without any branding.

Then I saw that I could buy actual tint for the headlights and taillights, which seemed like a better option, except the tint for the taillights did nothing for the two "white bars" and I think the stock tail lights in the '11 and '12 models are terrible but don't want to dish out a whole bunch of money for a conversion kit.

Are there any pros/cons to going with smoked covers vs actual smoked tinting? (Also, pretty sure both are legal here in TN). Thanks!
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 01:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Con- WHEN you get pulled over for it, you will get a ticket and it won't be reversible. Ticket will cost you a large chunk of what some used 13-14 tails might cost.

The covers pop off. Fix it ticket signed off and covers back on if need be.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju View Post
So I have new-to-me 2012 Kona Blue Mustang, and the previous owner put on smoked headlight covers and smoked taillight covers. I didn't like it at first, but have grown to love the look. The only thing is that the covers have some sort of white logo branding on them, so I have been looking into just getting replacement smoked headlight and taillight covers without any branding.

Then I saw that I could buy actual tint for the headlights and taillights, which seemed like a better option, except the tint for the taillights did nothing for the two "white bars" and I think the stock tail lights in the '11 and '12 models are terrible but don't want to dish out a whole bunch of money for a conversion kit.

Are there any pros/cons to going with smoked covers vs actual smoked tinting? (Also, pretty sure both are legal here in TN). Thanks!
Don't go to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg with either, they will measure you so it will take a while in Gatlinburg, I have a friend that was written up for tail light covers there.
Quote:
TN Code Annotated (TCA) 55-9-401

(a) Every vehicle other than a motor vehicle, when traveling upon a state highway, state aid road or other road, highway or street under the control of the state, the federal government or any political division thereof, dedicated, appropriated or open to public use or travel, shall be equipped with a light attached to and on the upper left side of the vehicle, capable of displaying a light visible five hundred feet (500¢) to the front and five hundred feet (500¢) to the rear of the vehicle under ordinary atmospheric conditions, and the light shall be displayed during the period from one half (½) hour after sunset to one half (½) hour before sunrise and at all other times when there is not sufficient light to render clearly discernible any person on the road or highway at a distance of two hundred feet (200¢) ahead of the vehicle.

If the smoke tint reduces the lighting to less than 500' visibility (and 200' to discern/ID people @ night), it is illegal. Otherwise, you are good to go.

p.s. Tinted cover on a license plate IS illegal (55-4-110)
That is a quote from a law enforcement forum, and there are areas that have local laws against them and Pigeon Forge I do believe is one of them.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Get the smoked aero tails from AM or find a used set of 13/14 tails with the Raxiom plastic trim piece to fill in the gap below them on a 10-12 car. For the front... TBTH I wouldn't. You don't really want to lower your light output especially on a non HID car. I would say bake open the housing and paint some of the insides of it black or install projectors that are like that.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Some headlight covers come without any stickers on them. If they do, I guess you can just remove them. Like others here, you can remove the covers if need be. In general, they just make the front look more aggressive.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1461506343.983071.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	200204

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sakol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

That is a god damn good looking front...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!

Sakol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That's a lot of fog lights.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Kona Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Con- WHEN you get pulled over for it, you will get a ticket and it won't be reversible. Ticket will cost you a large chunk of what some used 13-14 tails might cost.

The covers pop off. Fix it ticket signed off and covers back on if need be.

I personally like the look of the tints better than the covers, but what oxford5pointoh said is spot on. Take a look at some of customer pictures of both the tints and covers on AmericanMuscle.com and see if one looks better than the other to you.
Ferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Be like me and have 3 sets of tail lights and 2 sets of headlights. I got a ticket for my tinted tail lights (vinyl). So i took them off and put stock ones on and got it signed off. Then swapped right back over to tinted again.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I like my GTS covers. The decals just peel off.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:09 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I had issues with my covers scratching the bumper on my last mustang. The pressure of the plastic price rubbed and scuffed on the top of the front bumper. I think I will go vinyl this time. You should be able to remove the vinyl tint by hand if you ever get a ticket for it to prove that it's not permanent.

Trevorhart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:21 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
another con it reduces the view down the road at night....not that impt at 25 mph but at speed it matters.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion