My Rear Wing is a Water Resevoir - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
My Rear Wing is a Water Resevoir

I don't know how, but there is water in the wing of the 02. There are no cracks or visual signs of damage that would allow water to make its way into the wing. The only way I know water can get into the wing is through the area where the two studs that are for mounting. The gaskets are in place. I have not pulled the gaskets off of the bottom of the wing yet.

I pulled the wing off of the car. I can hear water sloshing around, but there is not water coming out. That in itself baffles me. If water can get in, water should be able to find a way out.

This has apparently been an issue for a while. The paint under each mounting surface is bubbled. Leaving the wing off is not an option unless I want to paint the trunk lid. That is not happening. I have other issues that need attention that take priority.

Any ideas, suggestions, and solutions?

If I remember correctly the trunk lids on the 1999-2004 Mustangs are fiberglass. If that is true rust is not an issue. The water is a problem regardless.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well, drill a hole in the bottom? No one will see it and then it'll act like a vent afterwards If more water makes its way in?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That still doesn't explain how water made its way inside in the first place.

I'm not really excited about drilling a hole in the wing. With my luck the hole would whistle or cause a bigger issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My Rear Wing is a Water Resevoir

There's probably a drain on the bottom somewhere that got clogged
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
There's probably a drain on the bottom somewhere that got clogged
The only place it would have to drain would be in the trunk.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
Well, drill a hole in the bottom? No one will see it and then it'll act like a vent afterwards If more water makes its way in?
Sounds like this would solve the issue, as ghetto of an idea as it is...

As far as how the water got in there, my best guess would be some level of water vapor made it's way into the holes that are drilled into your spoiler / trunk. Water vapor can penetrate the smallest of seams, and once the water vapor is trapped, it will condensate and become liquid. That would explain why the water is unable to escape your spoiler.

Is it usually misty / foggy where you live?
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8ER View Post
Sounds like this would solve the issue, as ghetto of an idea as it is...

As far as how the water got in there, my best guess would be some level of water vapor made it's way into the holes that are drilled into your spoiler / trunk. Water vapor can penetrate the smallest of seams, and once the water vapor is trapped, it will condensate and become liquid. That would explain why the water is unable to escape your spoiler.

Is it usually misty / foggy where you live?
I live in GA. I think the humidity here stays around 100%.

Rain is normally plentiful. One would think washing the car would allow water to enter the wing of rain can find a way in.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I am considering drilling a couple small holes in the bottom of the mounting surface. Then I can fill the holes with RTV.

I can then put a bead of RTV around the bottom of the mounting hardware and let it dry. Then I will have a gasket.

That's the only idea I have at the moment.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The H2O molecule is (moreso) individualized in the form of vapor. It has much more freedom to move around and penetrate small areas. The H20 molecule in the form of liquid, is clumped together with millions of other H20 molecules, therefor it cannot penetrate as small of areas. Ever notice how liquid water droplets will clump together with other liquid water droplets, to form an even bigger liquid water droplet? Water vapor does not naturally merge like this, therefore water vapor can do things that water liquid cannot.

If your humidity levels are near 100% (**** even over 50%) most of the time, that would conclude my theory, at least for me. I bet if you lived in the desert, you wouldn't have this issue.
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8ER View Post
The H2O molecule is (moreso) individualized in the form of vapor. It has much more freedom to move around and penetrate small areas. The H20 molecule in the form of liquid, is clumped together with millions of other H20 molecules, therefor it cannot penetrate as small of areas. Ever notice how liquid water droplets will clump together with other liquid water droplets, to make a bigger liquid water droplet? Water vapor does not naturally merge like this, therefore water vapor can do things that water liquid cannot.

If your humidity levels are near 100% (**** even over 50%) most of the time, that would conclude my theory, at least for me. I bet if you lived in the desert, you wouldn't have this issue.
If I lived in the desert it wouldn't seem so hot. August heat with the humidity can boil a person alive down here.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

During the install of my Roush wing I noticed a hole in the underside. A guy helping told me that the wing is actually blown into shape and hollow. The heat of summer can cause the air inside to increase in pressure enough to cause the seam in the wing to split. So they avoid that potential using a hole. With that in mind, look carefully for a hole that may have become clogged. If you so not find one drill 6" from each end. Don't worry about a whistle etc.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If there is a drain it must be on the bottom of the mounting surface. I will pull the wing again later and remove the gasket.

Most rear wings are hollow to reduce weight. There are various building processes and materials, but it all ends with a hollow finished product. I cannot say I have ever seen a fiberglass, polyurethane, or plastic part build enough air pressure to split due to hear alone. Air is compressible, unlike liquids. If enough water was to build up and reach 212° F (boiling point for water) then it may cause The material to flex and crack or split. I am not discounting what you are saying. I have seen fiberglass and plastic do strange things in the sun. Like all things, the wings are made of a collection of molecules. Without delving into science, most materials expand with heat and contract with cold.

Oddly water expands as it freezes. In my mind expanding ice inside of a contracting container would be cause severe damage. I have seen cracked iron engine blocks due to freezing.

I'm rambling now. The final result for me is going to be a wing with a hole in one of the bottom mounting surfaces. If I can properly seal both mounting surfaces I will still a matching hole in the trunk that will allow the interior of the wing to breathe. I need to learn a bit more though. I would hate to find water in my trunk due to condensation building in the wing.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I see your points. I am repeating what my body man told me some years ago. Perhaps I got it wrong and the hole was necessary because of the way it was made. That said, there is no way I would put a hole in the mounting spot that could allow anything finds its way into the interior of the trunk. The hole/holes go into the underside of the wing only. Not the trunk.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptonKnight View Post
I see your points. I am repeating what my body man told me some years ago. Perhaps I got it wrong and the hole was necessary because of the way it was made. That said, there is no way I would put a hole in the mounting spot that could allow anything finds its way into the interior of the trunk. The hole/holes go into the underside of the wing only. Not the trunk.
I agree. I don't want water in the trunk. The problem I have is that the lowest point of the wing is the mounting surface.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I drove out to meet up with Project Pony yesterday. When I walked around to the back of my car I had a waterfall coming from the wing. pulled the wing last night and poked a hole in the factory gasket. The wing does have a vent hole in the bottom of the mounting pedestals.

I honestly emptied a liter or more of water. The rear of the car should be lighter now.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:45 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
I bought my car 2 weeks ago. The boy ricer wing it had on it had all the bolts stripped and rusted. I sawed it off and water came pouring out and the area around the mounting points had started to rust and eat away at the trunk. 30,000 miles.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:34 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
I bought my car 2 weeks ago. The boy ricer wing it had on it had all the bolts stripped and rusted. I sawed it off and water came pouring out and the area around the mounting points had started to rust and eat away at the trunk. 30,000 miles.
Luckily I don't have to worry about rust. The New Edge Mustangs have composite trunks and hoods. That didn't stop the paint from bubbling though.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Just consider the water added down force!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:19 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Just consider the water added down force!

I tried to think positive about the water until it began pouring down the rear of my car while I was admiring Project Pony's car.

Maybe my car has yet to become potty trained and needs a diaper?

Old 05-31-2016, 03:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I tried to think positive about the water until it began pouring down the rear of my car while I was admiring Project Pony's car.

Maybe my car has yet to become potty trained and needs a diaper?

Haha, it might! But seriously I can't wrap my brain around how much water got in there.

"Insert clever phase here"
Old 05-31-2016, 04:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Haha, it might! But seriously I can't wrap my brain around how much water got in there.

"Insert clever phase here"
Me either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion