Dealer warranty test drive - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2016, 02:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Exclamation Dealer warranty test drive

Hi all. Looking for your opinions about this whole thing. My 2014 GT had problems playing music via Bluetooth and USB. I took it to the dealer. Left the car there for two nights. Didn't even get a loaner or a rental car (I asked, they told me they didn't have any loaners available for a few days) so I had to use my other car (the work was covered by the warranty). Anyway, basically I pick the car up and notice the mileage increased by 18 miles. I remember the service advisor told me on the phone they had to test drive it, I don't remember what exactly he said on the phone, so I decided to just leave, instead of going back inside and talking to them about it. Very stupid decision, I regret it. Because now it's bothering me. I have no idea if someone just drove around for 18 miles or did some burnouts or raced the car or something. And I didn't even take a picture, so I don't have any proof (even if I did, how would I be able to prove it? They could say I probably just drove the car and then took the picture). Paperwork states they put 2 miles on the car.

This is exactly what the paperwork states:
Quote:
TECHNICIAN VERIFIED BLUETOOTH AUDIO IS INOP AND VOICE COMMAND INOP FOLLOWED PPT J1 YES J2 NO J3 NO APIM HARDWARE TEST A1 YES A3 INFO A4 INFO A5 NO A6 YES PASSED A7 YES ALL NO A13 YES A15 NO A18 INFO A19 TEST VALIDATION CODE ZMZ03 A20 REPLACE APIM TECHNICIAN REPLACED APIM AND PRGRAMMED APIM RETESTED BLUETOOTH AUDIO AND VOICE COMMANDS NOW WORKING PROPERLY
So what do you guys think I should do at this point? Just let it go? I'm thinking of contacting the dealer and see what they will say about this. This is exactly the reason why I hate taking my car to the dealership and always ask my friend to help me change oil and stuff. At least I got it in one piece without any "visible" damage. I'll have to check the tires. They are practically brand new (600 miles on them) and I don't abuse my car. It has 16k miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 03:20 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Drop it. You won't gain anything by talking to the dealer. 18 miles is a small issue, yes, but you won't gain anything by bringing it up to them.
Next time, point out your current mileage to the service adviser if/when you have to bring it back. Have he/she note the mileage on the paperwork; if it's excessive then, you'll have some paperwork to work off of.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:23 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on drop it....however and I have no idea if this works or not but I leave a note in my car asking them to treat it with respect.

I will say it's unlikely they abused it.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 06:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Not really sure why they would need to test drive the car to troubleshoot Bluetooth connectivity and voice commands. I wouldn't worry about it personally as long as there is no obvious signs of misuse and/or abuse. Do yourself a favor next time and try removing fuse #3 when your Bluetooth and voice commands go out instead of scheduling a service appointment... I have had to pull that fuse around 5 times in the last year when my phone wont connect or the SYNC lady cant hear my commands. Pulling fuse #3, leaving it out for about 5-10 minutes cuts all power from the SYNC system and everything returns to normal after that usually.
MADSCOTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Look on your paperwork. It will have the mileage when you dropped the car off and again when you get it back.
It is only 9 miles each way and I would not worry about it.
You have to remember that it does take a certain amount of mile for the computer to set. The stereo system still goes through the cars computer.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Paperwork says in 68 miles out 70. When I got in the car it said 86. I believe that's what the service advisor told me on the phone, that they had to drive it for the computer to reset, but does it take 18 miles to reset?!
Old 05-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I will try pulling the fuse next time and see if it helps next time this happens. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Oh, sixteen miles. That is a lot to make certain your car will be fine and fixed for you so you won't have any problems.
I'm sure it was just to set the computer and that's about all it was.
You are heading for an ulcer if you keep worrying about stuff like this.
Ronnie
Old 05-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Could be worse. The ducati dealer did stoppies with my bike and did some damage when I took it in for servicing. I wasn't pleased, got told to pound sand.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I have a 2014 GT with 4800 miles on it. I put a CD in the player( first one) . Plays fine, radio is good but I hit the button to eject the CD and it won't eject. So now I will probably have to go back to the dealer and I'm dreading it. Actually thinking of just never using the CD player again just to avoid the dealer.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:39 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

This may seem like a dumb question but :
When you inserted the CD, Do you think there may have already been one in the player????
This happened to my friend Shari's Mom.
Shari used the car, Listened to a cd and just turned off the radio without ejecting the cd.
Lois gets in and puts a cd in and it did play but would not eject.
Then it would not play again.
We took it to soundcrafters ( An Excellent radio stereo retailer and repair shop) and the radio was toast and could not be repaired less expensively then buying a new unit.
I hope this is "NOT" your problem.

I got in the habit of pressing the eject button before ever inserting a CD after that happened to Lois.

Ronnie
Old 05-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
I've done dumber. My in dash dvd player was stuck "Ejecting" for a while, I kept pushing the button trying to get my movie out. I took it out, took it apart, and I had actually forgotten I'd already ejected the disk and I was trying to eject something that wasn't there. I'm a 'tard. :laugh:
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Thanks Ronnie. Good thought but its the only one in there. Plays just fine but will not eject.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Drop it.... I couldn't get anywhere with the service manager when I had a friend witness the tech do a burnout and take off over 80mph down the road from the stealership. Tech denied it, said my friend must have seen another car just like mine....

Yeah, there were 3 bright atlantic blue saleen convertibles in NJ at that time, the other 2 never left the garage that day and my friend must have misread my license plate that's WTFIT... And I must have written down the odometer numbers wrong and I must also not have reset the trip minder to zero that now showed 18 miles on the car.... Because you really need to do an 18 mile test drive to verify the new subwoofer is working....

yeah, right

Saleen - Power in the hands of a fool!
tfalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I just filled out a survey that Ford sent me and mentioned what they did. Time to get a dash cam!
Old 05-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Test drives are standard at most dealerships, it's a way to identify and upsell any issues discovered while driving; that incldes warranty work.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Test drives are standard, but up to reason. There should be a respect code, of anything more than 5 miles to get the okay by the owner. One time an dealer put 75 miles on my truck and I barked up the tree bad. They confessed and said someone took it home one night as a test drive - WTF.
1970Fordmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Fordmann View Post
Test drives are standard, but up to reason. There should be a respect code, of anything more than 5 miles to get the okay by the owner. One time an dealer put 75 miles on my truck and I barked up the tree bad. They confessed and said someone took it home one night as a test drive - WTF.
Agreed, we usually take a 5 minute drive around the block. There are times when a longer test drive is required, but not in this case.
drivinglesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

It's probably not an issue worth dealing with. The dealer is just going to say that the paperwork is correct and you must have read it wrong. It's not right that they drove it that much, but it's just the way it is.
CyberCarnage12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion