Mods and warranty claim denial- the truth - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2016, 03:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: New Hampshire
Mods and warranty claim denial- the truth

Here's an excellent video from an attorney with decades of auto related litigation experience and his explanation regarding Magnusson Moss Act , vehicle mods, warranty denial etc.
It is slightly wordy and 17 minutes long but well worth watching until the end.
He perfectly describes what you can expect from your dealership and how you are truly placing yourself at their mercy regarding any mod which might remotely cause or contribute to your service issue.
Even if you're right... You still lose.
Don't count on breezing into the dealership waving Magnusson Moss like a battle flag.

Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Maryland
I've just always accepted responsibility for fixing my own crap. I totally understand the warranty claims will be denied if I mod the car and it's the risk I choose to take or not. If something goes bad I take responsibility and fix it not go crying to the dealer. I don't want them fixing it anyway I would want to improve the failed component. Parts on 400+ HP cars will break especially if mistreated and most people who don't know how to work on it really don't know how to properly drive it either. So if you want play you got to pay. If you want a warranty leave the car alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Illinois
Some "performance type" dealers are more forgiving. I have one near me and they're pretty good. Depends on what you have done though.
1970Fordmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: New Jersey
It depends on your dealer, what you have done to the car, and the nature of what went wrong. I think it's silly and immoral to try to get things covered under warranty if you say... hurt your engine with a turbo and tune and returned it all to stock to bring it in. Or blew the rear end launching high rpms at the track on slicks or drag radials.
But if it's a common issue that even stock cars are having, the dealer should fix it for you regardless of mods.

Either way, those magnusson-moss horn tooters are in over their heads. Are you really going to pay a lawyer several thousand dollars to go after a dealership on a repair that would probably cost less to do yourself?
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion