How can anyone not love open exhaust! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

Region: California
How can anyone not love open exhaust!

It flows through my veins! I perk up anytime I hear the sound of a good exhaust system. But this, this is addicting https://youtu.be/RtRPdcUtxTU, https://youtu.be/sDdUDf8r4KM
ExhaustFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustFreak View Post
It flows through my veins! I perk up anytime I hear the sound of a good exhaust system. But this, this is addicting https://youtu.be/RtRPdcUtxTU, https://youtu.be/sDdUDf8r4KM
Cams, all about the cams.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
How can anyone not love open exhaust!

Only heard two that I liked. Ironically, own by the same person. Then again I've been told I'm incredibly picky about exhaust.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Those old Falcons sound good (but a supercharged Buick Nailhead in a Ford is a first for me!)-- but I'm glad my daily driver Mustang does NOT sound like that!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Well it's pretty easy, they're extremely loud, very annoying for the most part, and drone like crazy. I'd rather have a quieter car with a good tone instead of an open header exhaust that sounds like ***
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Open exhaust is a must on a drag race car.........on the street it is totally ludicrous.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Open exhaust is a must on a drag race car.........on the street it is totally ludicrous.
If it's too loud..........you're too old.............and I'm too old.

I happen to like the stock factory exhaust -- with the top down, it's just perfect for me. A nice little rumble at idle -- a mechanical wail when you light the wick, and almost silent on the highway.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:04 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post

I happen to like the stock factory exhaust -- with the top down, it's just perfect for me. A nice little rumble at idle -- a mechanical wail when you light the wick, and almost silent on the highway.

I may be older than you....maybe. On the street I've always liked stealth...back in the day....the mid 60's I had this black 48....it had enough power to bring both front wheels off the ground.....had fenderwell headers you couldn't see and 2.5" pipes coming out the side of the rear bumper on both sides...that was hard to see and pretty quite with turbo mufflers. You could hardly hear the exhaust just the tinging of the headers....when you uncorked the headers it was a solid 12 second car with the US royal masters...personally loud cars make me think of a person who is either trying to prove he has a fast car or a person with one sandwich short of a picnic basket.....IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fearsome48.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	202211   Click image for larger version

Name:	48chevy004.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	202212  

Old 06-09-2016, 03:18 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Agreed. It's a cop attention getter, and your neighbors will assist in getting the cops on your tail.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:47 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if it's your neighbors car it can sound like poo
Old 06-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
if it's your neighbors car it can sound like poo
That depends on what time they leave for work-- or come home from work. One of neighbors here has a tubbed mid 60's Fairlane -- two foot wide Mickey Thompsons on the back, supercharger sticking out of the hood, cammed within an inch of its life.
He only drives it once or twice a month, knows enough to idle in and out of the neighborhood -- and I go to the door every time (you CAN hear it coming) to listen to it go by......heavenly! I've never hear a better sounding car on the street.....but I am also glad he doesn't drive it to work every day of the week and leave at 5 AM......
Old 06-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #12

I agree, it's not for everybody all the time. But it is a performance enhancer when tuned for it and it is such a fun sound when the time is right
I'm 58 and still love to hear a V8 screaming at 6 grand (or more) even at 2am. Now loud music/Base shaking at 2am, is a different story
Old 06-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

There IS a certain violent pleasure at the drag races when a AA Fueler or Nitro Funny Car goes by............but we went to the NHRA Nationals in Seattle a couple of years ago -- and believe me, by the 30th nitro run going by, we were more than ready to go home. I don't think I'll ever go again. 20,000 unmuffled HP going by at 280 - 300+ mph is just NUTS!
When you can wear ear plugs, AND cover your ears with your hands......and the sound still blurs your vision and turns the contents of your stomach to water, that's too DAMN loud! It's almost so loud you can't HEAR it as much as FEEL it in every part of your body. Headache time for sure.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Back in the early '80s we used to hang out at the lakefront in Milwaukee. People loved it when I uncorked the headers on my '73 'Cuda and ran up and down the road a few times.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustFreak View Post
I agree, it's not for everybody all the time. But it is a performance enhancer when tuned for it and it is such a fun sound when the time is right
I'm 58 and still love to hear a V8 screaming at 6 grand (or more) even at 2am. Now loud music/Base shaking at 2am, is a different story
You're just a young guy....when you were in diapers I was building my first motor.
On a drag car you most certainly can tune the exhaust and I had Brian at SPD in Sacramento rebuilt my headers which improved my 60' time from a 1.40 to a 1.31 just by using a 13 degree merge and 14" collector length.....for me its the idle that tells the story...my Maverick was .714/.716...love the sound!!!!
Old 06-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I may be older than you....maybe. On the street I've always liked stealth...back in the day....the mid 60's I had this black 48....it had enough power to bring both front wheels off the ground.....had fenderwell headers you couldn't see and 2.5" pipes coming out the side of the rear bumper on both sides...that was hard to see and pretty quite with turbo mufflers. You could hardly hear the exhaust just the tinging of the headers....when you uncorked the headers it was a solid 12 second car with the US royal masters...personally loud cars make me think of a person who is either trying to prove he has a fast car or a person with one sandwich short of a picnic basket.....IMHO
Someday, you need to create a thread chronicling all of the cool stuff that you've owned and worked on.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're just a young guy....when you were in diapers I was building my first motor.
On a drag car you most certainly can tune the exhaust and I had Brian at SPD in Sacramento rebuilt my headers which improved my 60' time from a 1.40 to a 1.31 just by using a 13 degree merge and 14" collector length.....for me its the idle that tells the story...my Maverick was .714/.716...love the sound!!!!
My neighbor told me that my truck rattles the windows in his house... I told him that he needs to get better windows.

Funny story about SPD...
I went in to have an odd shaped exhaust piece made. I brought in the Y-pipe that I needed the new part to mate up with. I never mentioned what the purpose of this piece was. Brian immediately figured out that it was a cat delete that I wanted them to fabricate, and he basically told me that they couldn't do it, and showed me to the door. I was pissed! It was a 4 hour round trip to hear that.
I ended up fabricating them myself, after I was able to source the correct size stainless steel cone, which I was able to form into the required oval shape by beating it on a anvil and squeezing It in a vice.
I think that it turned out just as good as anything that they could have done in their shop.
Here it is... F you Brian... I made it myself...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1465537164210.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	202260   Click image for larger version

Name:	1465537191745.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	202261  

Old 06-10-2016, 05:40 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
his defense is if he made it the Feds COULD get nasty with him.

what you made does look professional
Old 06-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #19

Ahhh, so wonderful to be considered the young guy again
Old 06-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Not to hijack the thread and yes sometimes Brian can be a real pistol.
I gave Brian a design for some Flathead headers for my blown Model A HighBoy, at first he wasn't real keen on making them as he wanted the car to optimize the design as he put it....after we talked for awhile in person and I explained I didn't want to trailer the car from Redding he finally gave in.
he bent the tubes and made the collector....I brought them home and tacked them together and although I thought my design was flawless I did have to cut one tube and rotate it just a little...then tacked them and brought them back to Brian. He actually made a jig to support the headers while they were welded...his welder John is one of the best TIG welders I have ever seen and the welds were almost non-detectable...later he asked me if he could use the jigs...his jigs actually...and build some headers for other people...I said sure, go ahead. One day I was looking at a business in the Seattle area that sells flathead V8 parts for hot rods and saw the headers offered in their catalog....at the time myself and about 6 other guys were putting a V8 Flathead together for Bonneville....I called Brian and asked him and he said sure....I asked since I made the design if I could get some royalties from that and he said sure....I asked him to design the collectors for the headers....it took him about 2 months but they came and looked really nice. He also made an aluminum oil pan to my design for the same Bonneville Flathead.
As a side note his dad started the business and was making low production headers for Doug's, Stahl and others back in the day. Some of their Cup Car header systems were in the $7k to $8k range a number of years ago.

The last three pictures are the collectors Brian designed for the Bonneville car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CA1G211V.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	202262   Click image for larger version

Name:	flathead headers1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	202263  

Name:	IM000707.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	574.7 KB
ID:	202264   Click image for larger version

Name:	headers.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	202266  

Name:	IMG_0384.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	202267   Click image for larger version

Name:	031.JPG
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	202268  

Name:	032.JPG
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	202269  
Old 06-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not to hijack the thread and yes sometimes Brian can be a real pistol.
I gave Brian a design for some Flathead headers for my blown Model A HighBoy, at first he wasn't real keen on making them as he wanted the car to optimize the design as he put it....after we talked for awhile in person and I explained I didn't want to trailer the car from Redding he finally gave in.
he bent the tubes and made the collector....I brought them home and tacked them together and although I thought my design was flawless I did have to cut one tube and rotate it just a little...then tacked them and brought them back to Brian. He actually made a jig to support the headers while they were welded...his welder John is one of the best TIG welders I have ever seen and the welds were almost non-detectable...later he asked me if he could use the jigs...his jigs actually...and build some headers for other people...I said sure, go ahead. One day I was looking at a business in the Seattle area that sells flathead V8 parts for hot rods and saw the headers offered in their catalog....at the time myself and about 6 other guys were putting a V8 Flathead together for Bonneville....I called Brian and asked him and he said sure....I asked since I made the design if I could get some royalties from that and he said sure....I asked him to design the collectors for the headers....it took him about 2 months but they came and looked really nice. He also made an aluminum oil pan to my design for the same Bonneville Flathead.
As a side note his dad started the business and was making low production headers for Doug's, Stahl and others back in the day. Some of their Cup Car header systems were in the $7k to $8k range a number of years ago.

The last three pictures are the collectors Brian designed for the Bonneville car.
The first indication that things may not go as I had planned came before I even got out of the car... The building that they are in is huge! The work that I had for them probably wouldn't even pay for a days rent on that place!
I know that they do good work. I had a set of Thorley headers, back in the day, that were likely manufactured by them. If I ever have another "legal" exhaust project that i don't feel like taking on myself, I may even consider giving them a second try... Maybe.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
his defense is if he made it the Feds COULD get nasty with him.

what you made does look professional
Thanks Mud!
I was actually happy with my work... Which doesn't happen very often.

Yes. I'm positive that was his concern. Here's the thing though. I initially didn't tell him what the part was for, until he mentioned it. Then I went so far as to lie, and told him that it was going to be used "off highway" only. And I was not asking them to install it on the vehicle. In my mind, that should have been more than enough to take them off the hook regarding federal law. Companies sell "off road" exhaust all of the time. I didn't see any difference.
But this is California, and SPD is in Sacramento... So I shouldn't have been surprised that Brian didn't want to risk a big fine on some Yahoo walking in the door wanting two relatively small parts fabricated.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

And you guys all know the old saying... "Loud pipes save life's".
Old 06-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
The first indication that things may not go as I had planned came before I even got out of the car... The building that they are in is huge! The work that I had for them probably wouldn't even pay for a days rent on that place!
I know that they do good work. I had a set of Thorley headers, back in the day, that were likely manufactured by them. If I ever have another "legal" exhaust project that i don't feel like taking on myself, I may even consider giving them a second try... Maybe.
Brian is a Bonneville racer and his 32 has set a few records in the years he has been running....maybe why we hit it off. He actually took me on a full tour of the shop and the two....at the time....CNC mandrel bending machines which is the reason I contacted him in the first place. I guess Burns is really good also but just too far away.
These are the Maverick race headers that were originally built by Bill Dawson of L.A. in the 90's...Brian fixed a portion of the one tube I crunched loading on the trailer and designed the merge collector which netted almost 0.10 seconds quicker in the 60'....he told me we still had a couple 10ths or so if I would bring the car so he could redesign the header system....I just didn't care to spend another $2/3k to have it done. Today I wouldn't hesitate to call him for advise....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM001911.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	631.4 KB
ID:	202272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001912.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	560.7 KB
ID:	202273  

Name:	IM001914.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	500.4 KB
ID:	202274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001915.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	202275  

Old 06-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Back in the early '80s we used to hang out at the lakefront in Milwaukee. People loved it when I uncorked the headers on my '73 'Cuda and ran up and down the road a few times.
Ha! Times have changed. About a year ago me and my buddy were cruising down Lincoln Memorial Dr just off Prospect and caught one of the stop lights. We decided to have a nice little rev off.

All the hipsters and tree huggers were giving us the Manson lamps as they walked by.
And we aren't even running open exhaust, he had cats and I was o/r with mufflers!

It's even better once you get into downtown on Wisconsin Ave or Michigan St. Oh the glares and stares.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
It's even better once you get into downtown on Wisconsin Ave or Michigan St. Oh the glares and stares.
But Oh!!! How it echoed off of all those buildings down there!! Drew a lot of looks downtown in the 'Cuda and that was through the exhaust. I did have cutouts in that car also, but they were back by the axle. At the lakefront, I just crawled under and disconnected them from the collectors. The cutouts were fun also, you could swap back and forth within seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I must be old now too.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There IS a certain violent pleasure at the drag races when a AA Fueler or Nitro Funny Car goes by............but we went to the NHRA Nationals in Seattle a couple of years ago -- and believe me, by the 30th nitro run going by, we were more than ready to go home. I don't think I'll ever go again. 20,000 unmuffled HP going by at 280 - 300+ mph is just NUTS!
When you can wear ear plugs, AND cover your ears with your hands......and the sound still blurs your vision and turns the contents of your stomach to water, that's too DAMN loud! It's almost so loud you can't HEAR it as much as FEEL it in every part of your body. Headache time for sure.
I live for that at the drag strip. When the cars rattle the change in your pocket, you know you are watching a monster. I grew up in that environment though. My dad had a Blown Alcohol Flat Bottom boat until I was 18. Once I hit the age to pilot the floating rocket he got out of racing and began tournament bass fishing.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I live for that at the drag strip. When the cars rattle the change in your pocket, you know you are watching a monster. I grew up in that environment though. My dad had a Blown Alcohol Flat Bottom boat until I was 18. Once I hit the age to pilot the floating rocket he got out of racing and began tournament bass fishing.

Your father was wise.
That is probably the most dangerous form of racing that there is. Especially the pre-safety capsule boats!
Old 06-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Your father was wise.
That is probably the most dangerous form of racing that there is. Especially the pre-safety capsule boats!
Oh come on, just imagine the fun of being thrown out of a boat at close to 170mph only to get whiplash from the parachute that automatically deployed upon ejection. Then there is the risk of that chute becoming a water filled cocoon.

Flat bottoms really are dangerous. They literally ride on the trim plates and prop tips. What is even more wild is that holes in the hole were normally temporarily patched with duct tape.

Oh yeah, there is also an 8000hp grenade right behind your head without a firewall.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Everyone always told me I was crazy when I was drag racing bikes. 8 sec passes were the average while coming up on 170mph in the quarter.

Bikes are really not as dangerous on the track as one would imagine. I personally prefer racing bikes vs cars. When racing a bike you are in full leather with pads and Kevlar. If or when a bike crashes you are thrown away from the carnage. You may get beat up, but you are not trapped in a steel cage that might be on fire. I don't want to be stuck inside of a steel pizza oven. I would much rather slide and deal with bumps and bruises.

I have witnessed more bike crashes than I ever cared to see. Not one person was severely injured or killed at the track on a bike. There were always hospital visits, but most of us insane people on two wheels were back to race the next day.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh come on, just imagine the fun of being thrown out of a boat at close to 170mph only to get whiplash from the parachute that automatically deployed upon ejection. Then there is the risk of that chute becoming a water filled cocoon.

Flat bottoms really are dangerous. They literally ride on the trim plates and prop tips. What is even more wild is that holes in the hole were normally temporarily patched with duct tape.

Oh yeah, there is also an 8000hp grenade right behind your head without a firewall.

Boats are where I gained my appreciation for a nice sounding, albeit loud, exhaust.
I know that not everyone shares that feeling though. Here in California, mufflers are required on all waterways, for all vessels with exhaust that exits above the waterline. It used to be that through-hull and over the transom exhaust only required that the engine cooling water be run through the exhaust manifolds/headers to quiet it down, on most lakes... Which was easily re-routed after leaving the launch ramp area.

Times have certainly changed!
Old 06-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
There were always hospital visits, but most of us insane people on two wheels were back to race the next day.
On whose bike?
Old 06-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On whose bike?
Unless the bike slid into the wall, they are generally still able to be ridden after being dropped. It might not look as pretty though.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On whose bike?
Come hang out at a drag bike event for a weekend. People will rebuild a complete bike in a few hours. Some of those guys have money to burn.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
exhaust