Finally - Airbag Replacement - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Finally - Airbag Replacement

Well it's finally going to happen. It's been about a year since Ford sent me the first notification that my car was recalled for the driver side airbag. Today I received notification that the part is available and I can call my dealer for an appointment to have it replaced.

Of course that means that i have to leave the car with the dealer.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316

I'm sure they won't mind if you leave the car there & leave with a new one...👏🏽
Win-win! 👍
...or... be the best dad ever & buy it for your daughter (hint hint)
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
Well it's finally going to happen. It's been about a year since Ford sent me the first notification that my car was recalled for the driver side airbag. Today I received notification that the part is available and I can call my dealer for an appointment to have it replaced.

Of course that means that i have to leave the car with the dealer.
Only took about an hour when they did mine last week. Maybe you can wait. Also, Ford has the part but your dealer doesn't. When you call they will probably tell you that they don't have the part. Ask them to put in an emergency order. They will probably get it in a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 11:59 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Regular

This has been an issue for 10 years; whats a few more years lol
Old 06-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

I got mine too. Rob and I live in the same locale and both have 2012's so that makes sense. I called up my local dealer Hammonassett Ford who I've had good luck with. They told me they'll put in an "Emergency Order" for it but not to sit by the phone as it may take a while.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #6

Region: California
Airbag and A/C

Dropped by the dealer to get the A/C repaired and they told me the airbag parts had arrived a couple of days prior so it will all be taken care of at one time. It's 85F outside and rising so really need cold air to drive around here. Also have to get a new battery since its sweating hydrogen gas and causing excessive corrosion of the positing terminal cable assembly ($$$$). Don't want to replace that bad boy.
Davo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #7

Region: Delaware
Send a message via AIM to zflyer2
after reading my letter very carefully I called FORD and was told my car should be fixed by late December
zflyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zflyer2 View Post
after reading my letter very carefully I called FORD and was told my car should be fixed by late December

Are you serious??? Why?!
Old 06-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Ford call back

Don't cry in your beer guys! It took over 3 years this week they did it. It only took 45 minutes. The mechanic was milking it too! Here's the best part I know the service rep. He added me to the list.To get me in sooner.The dealer charged $68 0 for parts to ford."

$
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
$68.00 ---What for??????
The recall is absolutly """FREE""" with no charge at all.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Got my notice for the 07 yesterday that parts are in and to schedule an appt.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I made my appointment for 8AM, I got to the dealer about 7:30 and went to their restaurant to eat breakfast after checking in.
My recall was finished before my breakfast was finished.
"NO" CHARGE

Ronnie
Old 06-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
$68.00 ---What for??????
The recall is absolutly """FREE""" with no charge at all.
Ronnie
I believe he is saying the dealer charged Ford $680. He didn't pay anything.

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I believe he is saying the dealer charged Ford $680. He didn't pay anything.

Yea that.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:18 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog316 View Post
I'm sure they won't mind if you leave the car there & leave with a new one...👏🏽
Win-win! 👍
...or... be the best dad ever & buy it for your daughter (hint hint)
Haha....yeah, there is definitely that danger of me leaving with a different car than I arrived in. It wouldn't be the first time. However this would probably be the final straw for my better half!!!
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Old 06-29-2016, 06:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Just called my dealer and they say that they will have it mid next week so I made an appointment for Thursday. Hopefully it will be there when I get there.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

No charge!

Ron calm down! I said they charged $68. To ford. The dealership charges Ford for all work preformed by them! How do you think they paid?
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I thought they charged you for labor or something the way you had it worded.
Quote:
The dealer charged $68 0 for parts to ford."
That would have been just "WRONG"

I just got another letter that is another recall about the transmission may jump into first gear or something. They are working on a program update.
Ronnie
Old 06-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Haha....yeah, there is definitely that danger of me leaving with a different car than I arrived in. It wouldn't be the first time. However this would probably be the final straw for my better half!!!

You can always upgrade your better half for a better better half...
Old 06-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

OMG.....I am laughing hysterically. I'm in an airport and people must think I'm nuts. Or they know it!!!

Old 06-29-2016, 10:17 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
OMG.....I am laughing hysterically. I'm in an airport and people must think I'm nuts. Or they know it!!!

Yeah, you need serious therapy. 😐
I recommend electroshock.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I just checked with my dealer to find out if I should get on a list, or what. He told me that having a 2014 and being in Mass., mine would be one of the last to be replaced because Mass. is a GREEN State. Whatever that means. Something about not being a problem in Mass. ???
Going to check with another dealer and find out if they ever heard of that crap.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:37 AM   #23
Road Trip!
Regular

THANKS OBAMA 🙄
(I don't know the logic concerning logistics & who gets what when, but that's a bakery full of meadow muffins, if you ask me.)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
THANKS OBAMA 🙄
Thought this forum didn't allow foul language to be displayed.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I just checked with my dealer to find out if I should get on a list, or what. He told me that having a 2014 and being in Mass., mine would be one of the last to be replaced because Mass. is a GREEN State. Whatever that means. Something about not being a problem in Mass. ???
Going to check with another dealer and find out if they ever heard of that crap.
The problem with the inflator is corrosion that happens from high humidity. Mass. dos not have nearly the humidity of southern states so your inflator should not corrode as fast. That is the reason that mass. cars are being replaced later.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I thought they charged you for labor or something the way you had it worded.

That would have been just "WRONG"

I just got another letter that is another recall about the transmission may jump into first gear or something. They are working on a program update.
Ronnie
I checked the Ford recall site and found this...
Quote:
Affected vehicles are equipped with a 6R80 transmission and include certain 2011-2012 Ford F-150 vehicles built at Dearborn Truck Plant and Kansas City Assembly Plant, Aug. 19, 2011 through March 9, 2012; 2012 Ford Expedition vehicles built at Kentucky Truck Plant, Aug. 19, 2011 through Dec. 19, 2011; Ford Mustang vehicles built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Aug. 19, 2011 through Feb. 21, 2012; and Lincoln Navigator vehicles built at Kentucky Truck Plant, Aug. 19, 2011 through Dec. 17, 2011. There are 201,900 vehicles affected, including 184,000 in the United States and federalized territories and 17,900 in Canada.

Dealers will inspect the powertrain control module for diagnostic trouble codes tied to the issue. If no related diagnostic trouble codes are present, dealers will update the powertrain control module software, which will eliminate the downshift into first gear if an OSS fault occurs. Additionally, as part of the corresponding customer satisfaction program, Ford will provide a one-time replacement of the lead frame at no charge within 10 years or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date.

If related diagnostic trouble codes are present, dealers will update the powertrain control module software and replace the lead frame at no cost to the customer.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

well I traded my 2011 GT back in the third week of April, I just got a letter from Ford saying the parts are in for the recall on my vehicle, so the poor person they sold the car to doesnt know, I only hope the dealership handled the recall before selling the car
Old 06-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Thought this forum didn't allow foul language to be displayed.

Yeah, i'll just take over. Problems solved.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
well I traded my 2011 GT back in the third week of April, I just got a letter from Ford saying the parts are in for the recall on my vehicle, so the poor person they sold the car to doesnt know, I only hope the dealership handled the recall before selling the car

My letter said something like: "if you are no longer the owner, please pass this notice on to the current owner."
Old 06-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thanks iguanaman3,

Mine was built in 2011 so I guess I have the faulty one.
My Mustang shifts so quick and clean now and never had a problem,
I hope the re-programming don't turn my transmission into a slush box.
Ronnie
Old 06-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #31
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
interesting that Rob & I in CT got our letters.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
That's what I was thinking.
Must be more humid there.
Click image for larger version

Name:	airbag-bloody.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	202978
Old 06-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I'm guessing it's some sort of availability thing and they're rolling out replacements in phases, paced differently for regions with more/less humidity.

I just called my preferred dealer in MA, and they stated that they can order inflators for 2011-2012 cars, but ones for 2013-2014 cars are not yet available. Mine's a 2013.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
Just bought my 13 a week or two ago, and they don't even have the parts in yet lol
Old 06-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My letter said something like: "if you are no longer the owner, please pass this notice on to the current owner."
lol but if we traded the vehicle in.......

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion