1999 V6 MPG - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

Region: Virginia
1999 V6 MPG

So... I have this 1999 v6 5 speed mustang that's been setting in our garage for about 5 years. It has 134,000 miles. I just put in a new fuel pump, fuel filter, k&n cai, cleaned throttle body with throttle body cleaner, cleaned maf sensor with maf cleaner, replaced the 15" stock wheels/tires with 17" x 9" ford cobra r wheels with 245/45/17 on front and 255/55/17 on back and the best wheel alignment garage in the area performed the wheel alignment. The spark plugs and wires were replaced 6,000 miles before putting in garage. I've now ran 3 tanks of gas through the car.

I sold my van and decided to put this mustang back on the road to drive to and from work. The car used to get anywhere from 24-27 mpg depending on how heavy your foot is prior to putting it in the garage. Now its getting 20-21 with driving around like there is a egg between my foot and the gas pedal.

Would those wheels/tires make that big of a difference?? If so they are gonna have to go! lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	204264   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	204265  

KirkComer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 11:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I doubt the wheels are going to cause a fuel mileage issue. You should see the same mpg as with the factory 15s.

I love those wheels. I tried to talk a guy down the road from me out of his. I wanted to trade my Bullitts for his Cobra wheels.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:36 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if you can swap back and re-check mpg. other ideas tire pressure or is the od different enough where your odometer is off? you can check by comparing speed to a GPS long shot idea but on mine I have 2 sets with a 3/4" OD difference on mine that is a 3% odometer/speedometer error
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
if you can swap back and re-check mpg. other ideas tire pressure or is the od different enough where your odometer is off? you can check by comparing speed to a GPS long shot idea but on mine I have 2 sets with a 3/4" OD difference on mine that is a 3% odometer/speedometer error
I didn't think about two different tire sides between the two.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #5

Unfortunately the 15" tires were dry rotted and one actually blew out before I got these wheels and tires so I can't put them back on to make a comparison.

I added a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner on my last fillup and I'm also not turning on the air conditioner during this current tank. When my speedometer shows 55 mph ... my gps shows 52 so 3 mph difference but wouldn't that reflect more mpg from the odometer compared to actual? For example if I drove for one hour and used 2 gallons of gas:
55 miles/2 gallons=27.5 (according to speedo/odometer)
52 miles/2 gallons=26.0 (according to gps)
So... my fuel milage is even worse than the 20-21 mpg I have been calculating over the past 3 tanks.... wow

It's hard for me to believe that the tires are making that much of a difference but maybe it is. The first tank of gas came from citgo and the last two tanks have came from wal-mart. My next fillup will be at a exxonmobile or texaco to see if that makes any difference. So if my math is correct here is the difference in tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	204292  
Old 08-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Cheap gas makes a difference.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
when you put in the plugs had you checked mpg afterwards (long time ago) are they correct plugs/gap?

I want to make a funny about how gas was better back in the day....I wonder if it's the ethanol in it?

I will say the new rims look good
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Cheap gas makes a difference.
I had a 2002 Pontiac Montana Mini-Van. No matter where I got gas for 15 years (I tried them all) I always got between 22-23 mpg. Maybe this mustang is more picky on fuel. I was hoping to do better on gas than the van did. Thanks for the comments. I'll update the thread on how my next couple of tanks go.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
when you put in the plugs had you checked mpg afterwards (long time ago) are they correct plugs/gap?

I want to make a funny about how gas was better back in the day....I wonder if it's the ethanol in it?

I will say the new rims look good
When they were changed it did not make a difference in mpg back then. Maybe I'll put in a new set just to see it if helps.

Maybe the gas has gotten worse in 5 years.lol Could be the plugs need changing just from setting... idk The wheels and tires do look really good but they may have to go... or maybe the whole car for that matter. lol
Old 08-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My 03 had no problem hitting 29 on the highway. It's had 255s front and rear. Maybe installing all new everything played a bigger factor for me. And I really mean everything...that car was better than new when it got sold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion