Oil Filter Punctured -- Ruined Engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Oil Filter Punctured -- Ruined Engine

Hey guys it has been a while since I posted here. My 1999 Cobra had a bad time the other day on my way home.

I was driving and the car started to feel a little sluggish.. Like the engine was not healthy. When I turned down my music, I noticed that my car didn't sound quite right either.

I decided to throw it in neutral and shut it off while rolling. Then, I realized that my car was spewing oil out underneath the engine whenever it was running.
I had been driving for about 1.5 hours at the time, so I don't really know exactly how long it was happening for or what even happened. I didn't have any oil lights come on, and my oil gauge never even moved (I think its just a switch that looks like a gauge)

I had my brother flat tow me the rest of the way and then we started looking around under the car to find the leak.

The oil filter has a little puncture in it about 1/16" wide and .5" long.

I have full coverage on it, but do you think they will cover it? They said they consider it a collision with an object in the road and I have a claim in process.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have no idea.
This is a very interesting question though, and I am eager to hear what the insurance company decides to do.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I wouldn't either.

But you never know.... The insurance company may be feeling generous, and Panther will get a new oil filter out of the deal.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
How the heck does an oil filter accidentally get punctured?

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
Either hit something or vandalized

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3.7 View Post
Either hit something or vandalized

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Perhaps a faulty filter? I know on my 2011 the filter is protected by a plastic piece covers the whole filter area that has three screws secured. That's of course my 2011 model.

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Anyone ever see s7!t on the road? All kinds of bs out there. I can't see how it would get punctured either but when you consider highway speeds and a limitless list of junk that could be on the road, who could say there's no way it could happen? Regardless of how it did happen, the question of insurance is interesting. A collision caused engine failure...seems like a legit claim but my faith in ins cos isn't all that great either. Good luck and keep us posted!
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP, 82mm pulley,JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs, Relo Brackets, Diff Bushing, Ford Racing Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncrp II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket & Safety Loop, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, BlackCat Gauge Face, Boss Lower Fascia, High Flow GT Grill Insert
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #9

Region: Georgia
I had a rock bounce up and hit the oil filter on my motorcycle, it put a huge dent in it and also a small hole that blew oil all over the bike and my boots. It could easily happen to a car with all the crap laying on the roads.
ronhawk62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
If you can get at least 3 or 4 ounces of the remaining oil from the pan do it for oil analysis. Near stock engines are tougher than most people realize and yours may have survived! The light and gauge only show when pressure is totally lost. The hydraulic lifters will malfunction from low oil and ingested air causing noise and power loss.

Collision insurance should apply if the engine oil sample shows bearing particles. There shouldn't be any argument over engine repair - likely by replacement
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

oil filter protection

Just thinking. I have a super strong curved magnet that sticks to the side of the oil filter called a "Filtermag". I wonder if you could find a "drop in filter" can from the 60's. The "Filtermag" could hold it against the filter thereby acting as a protection from debris. Note: I typed this without hardly any thought so if this is just plain stupid my beer assistant actually wrote this.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014 Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Update on this situation: I took it to a shop where an insurance adjuster came and looked at it. The shop quoted $8400 to put a new engine in. The car was appraised at $9770. Therefore, it is a total loss.

So I'd like to keep the car after insurance pays out, and attempt to rebuild it for as cheaply as possible.

I worked really hard to buy this car and then I worked really hard to keep it pristine. I ran the best parts that I could find (whether I could afford them or not) and kept the car as clean and original as I could. 60,000 miles seems like a premature death I don't even know what I would want to replace it with to be honest. I hate the idea of any other car besides a mach 1 or a 2001 cobra.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Are they telling you that you have about $10,000 to replace the car, minus what you need to buy the car back then? I'm surprised that the quote to replace the engine is so high. I wonder if you can find your own motor and then have a shop install it for you for much cheaper.

About 15 years ago, a lady T-boned me and totaled my cobra. The insurance company did not initially understand (or did not want to understand) that I had a cobra and not a GT. The appraisal assumed that the car was a GT (ask them for the information they used). I did my own research regarding what the car would cost to fix and managed to get another $2,500 or so from the insurance company. Make sure that you are getting an accurate replacement appraisal -do your own research and push back if appropriate.
KevinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

When I said that I looked into the cost t "fix" the car, I meant "replace" the car.
KevinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I'd say let insurance total it, buy the car back, find a used motor for around $1k, drop it in, buy all the guys in that shop a couple rounds, and pocket the extra money.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion