Why do people try to re-badge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Why do people try to re-badge

My Son and I came out of my bank Friday and there was a 11-14 Mustang coming up to the stop sign and looked like a nice convertible and as I checked it out this is what I noticed..It had the Running Horse in center of Grill,it had big Cobra badges on front fenders,GT gas cap and back bumper just had Mustang on it and to top it off the dual exhaust tips stuck out about 4".....Why do people do it Why? He was maybe a bit older then me but his attitude as he drove by said hey look at my bad as Mustang(if ya know what I mean),my son and I kinda laughed/smiled and gave him a wave as he looked at us getting into my 16 Mustang.
What have you folks seen....
ranger56528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
You're looking for this thread...
Rice or nice?
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Some people live for the approval of others. Their ego thrives on the belief that others look up to them. They feel a need to be greater, even if it means faking things.

Then there are those people that are embarrassed by what they have. Rather than accept, appreciate and be thankful for the vehicle they have, they hope to fool unsuspecting car owners that could care less about what a specific badging stands for. It likely never crossed their mind that enthusiasts know every minute detail that a badge stands for.

Those same people that feel they can fool others with take badging are rarely real enthusiasts. They know just enough to know that SVT, SVO, SS, R/T, etc is a performance division. Beyond that, these people are unsuspecting. You could paint your spoiler and hood scoop matte black, add a black splitter, and delete the grill on any Mustang and convince them that you have a Mach 1.

I have seen New Edge Mustangs with a GT hood and front bumper, along with a GT rear deck spoiler. The car is clearly not a Cobra, yet a Cobra badged rear bumper, Cobra fender badges, and a snake emblem in the grill is proudly displayed. If you ask about the car the owner will tell you it is a Cobra. I have heard people go as far to say that they have a non supercharged version. I don't know if that person may have been scammed to believe what they are saying, or if they are lying. I will normally smile and tell them they must have a very rare example.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
That is why I call them out. In person. Normally in large crowds for best embarrassment factor.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Recon......Mod can move it if they want to.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I'll see this guy at one of the small town car shows this Fall and see what he tells me about it then maybe say something loud enough in conversation for others to hear. Maybe he is really a nice guy and just needs to be shown the right direction and what not to do,will see.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
That is why I call them out. In person. Normally in large crowds for best embarrassment factor.

Why embarrass anyone? There is enough punishment without extra involvement. Plus you make yourself look bad.

You never know, the owner could be a great person. They could be new to any automotive hobbies. Their amateur mistakes may look great to their uninitiated eyes. Can you really blame a person for failing if they have never been properly taught?

I prefer to let a foolish person prove themselves as such. When you go to an extent to point a foolish person out, as a general rule you will be judged as foolish also.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Why embarrass anyone? There is enough punishment without extra involvement. Plus you make yourself look bad.

You never know, the owner could be a great person. They could be new to any automotive hobbies. Their amateur mistakes may look great to their uninitiated eyes. Can you really blame a person for failing if they have never been properly taught?

I prefer to let a foolish person prove themselves as such. When you go to an extent to point a foolish person out, as a general rule you will be judged as foolish also.

I've pointed it out in the past in a nice manner and have the owner act like I'm the idiot. I'm well beyond caring what people think of me.

Local guy posted in a car group showing off his new "03 Cobra Terminator". I politely pointed out what was wrong with the car in a pm to ensure the dealership didn't try to sell him a misbadged gt as a 03 Cobra. He got very upset with me but finally admitted he knew it was a GT with Cobra badges. I tracked him down the next week and took a picture of my Cobra next to his Fobra and posted it in that group.

There is nothing wrong with any Mustang. We own a V6, LX, GT and Cobra and each is it's own car. I've swapped parts on all of them but have never seen the point in adding emblems or making up stories.

Hell my old V6 had bullitt, mach, cobra, saleen, roush and a ton of aftermarket parts but only sported V6 emblems.

Our's:
Old 09-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

The best one is the local V6 Cobra Jet. I chase him down in the Focus every chance I get.

Our's:
Old 09-04-2016, 12:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

My 95 GT has different hood and front bumper cover but it's all badged GT so no questions asked but dang throwing on 2-3 differant badges on one car is just to much and then looking/acting like your stuff doesn't stick and your car is the baddest around is just to much....
Old 09-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I'm a fan of de-badging, I prefer the cleaner look. After all I know any enthusiasts will know what it is. Hell, I try to completely ignore badges. You would be surprised how many v6, and expedition cobras we have here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-04-2016, 07:28 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I'm a fan of de-badging, I prefer the cleaner look. After all I know any enthusiasts will know what it is. Hell, I try to completely ignore badges. You would be surprised how many v6, and expedition cobras we have here!

Lol! Expedition Cobra. Nice. I haven't seen that one yet. I need to look out for him.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
There is an SRT8 civic in North Augusta....

Old 09-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

WOW! It must be pretty fast.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Some people are Posers , They are only fooling themselves
WAR HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

WOW. That is kinda severe,

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
Old 09-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm almost afraid to ask how my Big Worm Grafix OTT stripes look

Old 09-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Why be nice to a Liar ? They shouldnt get any respect.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAR HORSE View Post
Why be nice to a Liar ? They shouldnt get any respect.
I guess your not voting this year......

Old 09-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I personally love the COBRA EMBLEMS ---BUT--- I know I can't put them on my V6 Mustang.
Now, If I took my 2012 3.7 V6 Mustang automatic to Shelby America and paid them $10,400 they would not only put the snakes on my car but give me a Shelby serial number along with what ever they do to my car to "SHELBISE IT" ( Supercharger and a few other things.
Ronnie

PS: I'm having a hard time hitting the lotto, so any huge donations will be accepted. One donation of about $13.000 would be best.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

You're right Im not Voting this year, not much of a choice. Dont like Liars or Fools but I DO LOVE MUSTANGS, I HAVE a 04 Cobra & 98 GT , wife has 06 convertable GT, supercharged engine is long gone but I put in a Mach 1 aluminum block with forged internals & a 70mm Turbo in my Cobra , kept the Badges on, cause its still a Cobra
Old 09-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's really funny.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:46 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yea, it's kinda funny... I drive a 2014 V6 base model all black. I've done a few personal upgrades. Like some SVE drift wheels with a sport line kit, a spoiler on the black, and he fastback style side vented panels. Looks pretty lean and low, no badges what so ever, except the faux gas cap emblem. Some kid came up to me in the grocey store parking lot one day and said " WOW... It that a Shelby mustang ??? And I said "Nope, just a regular V6 base model with some custom touches! He was taken back when I said that to him, but I have no shame in rolling aV6 base model at all. I fact I really got it because it is my "Daily driver", and I'm a super proud mustang owner and love my ride. i don't get why ppl have to front such high standards especially here in SoCal. All I ever see is BMW & Mercedes Benz cars rolling on the freeways all the time. Funny thing is most of those ppl lease their rides and don't even own them, go figure ✌️
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

your stripes look great , nothing wrong with painting or decaling in my book .
Old 09-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
Yea, it's kinda funny... I drive a 2014 V6 base model all black. I've done a few personal upgrades. Like some SVE drift wheels with a sport line kit, a spoiler on the black, and he fastback style side vented panels. Looks pretty lean and low, no badges what so ever, except the faux gas cap emblem. Some kid came up to me in the grocey store parking lot one day and said " WOW... It that a Shelby mustang ??? And I said "Nope, just a regular V6 base model with some custom touches! He was taken back when I said that to him, but I have no shame in rolling aV6 base model at all. I fact I really got it because it is my "Daily driver", and I'm a super proud mustang owner and love my ride. i don't get why ppl have to front such high standards especially here in SoCal. All I ever see is BMW & Mercedes Benz cars rolling on the freeways all the time. Funny thing is most of those ppl lease their rides and don't even own them, go figure ✌️
I used to cruise around with my 73 Cougar in Orange County with a bumper sticker in the back window the said "You're Just Another A**hole in a BMW"
There is a 2013 Grabber Blue Shelby I see every morning I go the freeway to work, it has Boss stripes on the sides, a Steeda windshield Banner, but he did screw the car up by putting V6 exhaust and Faux Gas Cap on it
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have to admit, there are 4 badges that do not belong in my car that I wish I had. If I had a set of true 2000 Cobra R wheels I would leave the factory center caps. That isn't exactly rebadging though. Plus, everyone should know 16 years later that the SVT side of Ford did not produce a Mineral Grey convertible Cobra R.

There were only 300 numbered Cobra Rs made. I doubt we have to worry about me having an original set.

However, a friend of mine has an early New Edge Mustang in Red. It is a V6. I am determined to convince him to build a Cobra R clone. That still is not rebadging, that is a replica. I'm pretty sure we can find a 5.4 to stuff under the hood.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I just could never re-badge

Here is a picture of my Ferrari,
Why would I want to re-badge this fine Italian "SUPERCAR????
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Ferrari.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	204819  
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Here is a picture of my Ferrari,
Why would I want to re-badge this fine Italian "SUPERCAR????
Ronnie
Ronnie, we would let you get away with that. Lol

Old 09-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

This is the only rebadging I'd consider.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/check...tang-fastback/

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
This is the only rebadging I'd consider.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/check...tang-fastback/

As interesting as that is, I could not cut into a Shelby. A Shelby by itself is an impressive car that holds value.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I would do either a v6 or a regular GT. I wouldn't do an actual Shelby. It's all about the looks since I'll never drop that much money into an actual 67

wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I cant even count the amount of foxbody 5.0s that had cobra badges on them. To me if you are going to do that at least get the front clip, rear valence, correct spoiler and wheels to make an actual clone. So many people just popped on the badges and that was it. I have always hated when people do that because it looks so damn lame .. why lie about it ? ... Saleen stickers on the windshield were big too back in the day... Jeez I dont miss seeing that.
jncastillo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The one member on here hit the nail on the head. People fake badge because their embarrassed about the model they own so they are trying to make themselves feel better about their model car by lying to the world.

They are tired of getting their balls busted about the real model it is.

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #34
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Why do people try to re-badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
You're looking for this thread...
Rice or nice?

lol that's what i just thought!!!

Sent from my iPad
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:53 AM   #35
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Meh. It's a car hobby. Folks do what they want to their own car. Some will like, some will not.

It's what makes this hobby great for all.

I recently painted the back end (tail) of my 67 SS Camaro project car black. Only the big block's (396 CI) had the black "tails". I don't have a big block in it, but I liked the look against the red body. So do I care if anyone else thinks I'm badging my 67 as a big block?

Nope.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion