Fuel in Colorado - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Fuel in Colorado

So I stopped by local Ford dealership to ask what they recommend in Mustang 5.0 as far as fuel. According to few places i've read 93 octane is the way to go. Espically if you have a tuner that req 93. So my prob is in CO none of the gas stations sell 93 highest available is 91. So this brings the question would it be fine to run a 93 octane tune on 91 in CO. According to Ford (which the dude was super helpful on other topics btw) says he is not sure about the tune but does say i can run our mid grade which is 87 and be fine but if i go to the track or when weather gets hot he recommends i go with 91. What is your guys thoughts on this?
5.0Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Fuel in Colorado

If it was my car I'd run a 91 octane tune.

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

lol didn't know that was an option! Do you think performance wise that two less octane will make any difference? I wouldn't think so

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Running a octane 91 might be best, but technically you're suppose to be able use 93. Let me explain, I also live in Colorado. Because of Colorado's high altitude, gas octane is affected. 87 gas in Florida is the equivalent to 85 octane gas in Colorado. Google gas octane at high altitude and you will find plenty of studies that will back that up. The safe thing to do would be to run a 91 tune with 91 fuel but "science" supports that in high altitudes (Colorado) 91 is the equivalent to 93 and will not cause the engine to detonate.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Probably not.

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbickel View Post
Running a octane 91 might be best, but technically you're suppose to be able use 93. Let me explain, I also live in Colorado. Because of Colorado's high altitude, gas octane is affected. 87 gas in Florida is the equivalent to 85 octane gas in Colorado. Google gas octane at high altitude and you will find plenty of studies that will back that up. The safe thing to do would be to run a 91 tune with 91 fuel but "science" supports that in high altitudes (Colorado) 91 is the equivalent to 93 and will not cause the engine to detonate.
Awesome thanks for the info I will definitely look that up. I've always wondered why when i went to Texas or Arizona I would see the higher octane fuels but just never looked into to it. Actually didn't dawn on me till I been looking at tuners and seen the 93 tune option. So i will go with a 91 tune. On side note what fuel does people who have heavily modified drag cars use in Co humm interesting.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oh shoot Parker just noticed you don't live far from me. Have some fam in Rocky
Old 09-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0Coyote View Post
Oh shoot Parker just noticed you don't live far from me. Have some fam in Rocky
I lived in Pueblo for 4 years during college. I just moved back to La Junta in January. I always take Highway 50 business through Avondale when I go to Pueblo as there are way less cops back there than the main Highway 50.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah them state patrols are hot on main 50. I used to work in Crowley and took that back way in my 99 stang was fun ride to work just got watch for them darn deer and occasional drunks. I live just few miles right from that turn to get onto that hwy by the chemical depot
Old 09-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
On side note what fuel does people who have heavily modified drag cars use in Co humm interesting.
I actually ran 108 Octane Av Gas when I was there in the 80's
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Wow 108, must of been pretty bad *** car!

Old 09-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Awesome thanks for the info I will definitely look that up. I've always wondered why when i went to Texas or Arizona I would see the higher octane fuels but just never looked into to it. Actually didn't dawn on me till I been looking at tuners and seen the 93 tune option. So i will go with a 91 tune. On side note what fuel does people who have heavily modified drag cars use in Co humm interesting.
Are you talking coyote drag cars in CO or just drag cars in general? Plenty of guys up here are making good power on 91 octane and then there is also E85 for the boosted guys.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Wow 108, must of been pretty bad *** car!

Blow 9 second 429 in a Gran Torino
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Fuel in Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Are you talking coyote drag cars in CO or just drag cars in general? Plenty of guys up here are making good power on 91 octane and then there is also E85 for the boosted guys.

Yeah that's what I meant. Coyote drag cars. Guess if due to elevation 91 would still make same power 93 would up here.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:33 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah that's what I meant. Coyote drag cars. Guess if due to elevation 91 would still make same power 93 would up here.

I've never heard that theory peraonally, but I've never researched it either. A naturally aspirated car is gonna make less at our altitude, compared to a sea level car, regardless of the fuel you put in it. The power difference from a 91 tune versus a 93 tune is gonna be negligible.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
I've never heard that theory peraonally, but I've never researched it either. A naturally aspirated car is gonna make less at our altitude, compared to a sea level car, regardless of the fuel you put in it. The power difference from a 91 tune versus a 93 tune is gonna be negligible.
Same here I've never heard or researched it before either. Well thank you everyone for the input I appreciate it! Conclusion looks like I will be running 91 and when get the tune will be a 91 octane tune as well. The guy at Ford did say I could still run 87 mid grade and be fine as well without the tune of course. Is there anyone that runs there Coyote on 87 for a daily driver?
Old 09-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
A stock coyote can run on anything 87-93 with no issue. You will lose a little bit of power on 87 or 89. The car was tuned around 91 since you can't always get 93. On a stock car you shouldn't notice much or any difference between 91 and 93.

If you are tuned, you should run only the gas you are tuned for (or better).
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion