Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Reminder for those in the colder climes = tire PSI

3K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  bucko 
#1 · (Edited)
My carefully maintained 32-34 psi tire pressure for when the weather was hot this summer was down to 26-27 on all four corners. Our temps here are low 30's at night and barely 40 during the day now.
Keep in mind for those of us where the weather is now significantly colder -- get those tires pumped back up to the recommended psi, guys!

#2 ·
My carefully maintained tire 32-34 psi tire pressure for when the weather was hot this summer was down to 26-27 on all four corners. Our temps here are mid 30's at night and barely 40 during the day now.

Keep in mind for those of us where the weather is now significantly colder -- get those tires pumped back up to the recommended psi, guys!

+11

Sent from the One and Only ME!..?

#6 · (Edited)
Excellent point about tire pressure Guard 5.0....I check mine on the weekends when the cars get their bath. The huge truck I drive (2500HD) tires hold 55 to 65 pounds, depending on what I'm towing or not.

It annoys me to see cars with families/kids driving around with low air in the tires. One thing to put themselves at risk, but it also puts those that share the road with them at risk too. Most tire shops will check and fill them for free. Folks can't take a lousy 5 minutes from their schedule to do this?

#9 ·
Takes me longer than 5 minutes -- but I also don't have to even move the cars out of the garage. My lovely wife bought me a compressor for Christmas many years ago, and it has been a blessing -- and well put to use.
And as long as I have your attention --- Tire gauges are notoriously inaccurate -- spend a little more and get a good one where you can rely on the readings.......

#7 ·
Yup, either blindly rolling down the highway at breakneck speeds on a 1/2 flat tire, or going 90 mph with one of those temp spares. Blows my mind how stupid MOST people are when it come to maintaining their cars, either that or too lazy to care. If your paying for it why not take care of it? If you cant afford another tire now, at least do the speed limit with that TINY wheel. Even without the giant warnings molded into the tire you installed, something else should tell you that tiny tire is not good for 80 mph........

#8 ·
And not to get too far off the topic...these people breed more stupid people.

Thanks Guard 5.0 for the reminder to check tire pressure...a good point to make.

#17 ·
Scurfie,

I have several gauges....check same tire with all of them and you "should" be able to figure out which one is correct. If all 4 tires are reading 4-5psi higher than your "good digital gauge" the gauge may be off. but idk how Ford process the signal from the tpms it may be in that converter. Borrow a gauge from your neighbor to do a comparo

#28 ·
Back in 97 we just took the sticker off and raced...and we did use the donut tire which is rated for 80+ mph.
After getting my high 9 second Maverick out of moth balls...almost 5 years...took it to an NHRA track in SoCal and the tech inspector looked at it for a total of two minutes...went out and cut a 9.801 1/4 mile and the only thing they told me to do was upgrade my license...I raced the rest of the weekend. NHRA tech is joke!

#29 ·
Had a 11.94 H-D Dyna up till 6yrs ago. NHRA had me matched against a 70 Torino, yes a car, we were side by side till mid track when the guy lost it. Came into my lane. All most hit me in the side, I missed him. That was exciting. No more car against bike for this guy after that. Don't care what NHRA says in their rules.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.