Mustang Evolution Forum banner

V6 engine to be eliminated for 2018 Mustang.

5K views 52 replies 18 participants last post by  MakoShark 
#1 ·
#2 ·
not a surprise IF it's true (I believe it) I've mentioned b4 that I think the 3.7 is only in the Stang and the 3.5 is the corperate V6. I wonder why they are not using that instead...the price and performance are very close (4 & 6) I don't see much of a need for both but I prefer the simplicity of the V6 compared to the boosted 4.

Smart enough to know this ain't gonna make my V6 valuable to anyone other than me.

#5 ·
Could see it coming. I believe Ford is discontinuing the N/A option in the F150 soon too as the 2.7 E/B is doing very well. They are basically phasing the 3.7 engine out. As said, the corporate N/A v6 is the 3.5. And that engine could very well be replaced with one of the small displacement E/B for efficiency purposes.

I am sure it has to do with the CAFE standards that are in place. Who knows, given the recent political occurrences that burden on the automotive industry might be relieved somewhat.

I think the 3.7 is a great platform, certainly the best v6 to ever sit in a mustang so far.

#16 ·
3.7 is still a popular choice for Lincoln owners. I love my 3.7, sounds great with Cat Backs and it's a 160 mph (plus) car (with aluminum driveshaft). 325 hp is plenty (with mods) of power to have a blast with! Love my 13' Perf. Pkg Stang!

#19 ·
What if a real man has his financial house in order, is a man who treats women with respect, has long term goals and doesn't need 2 more cylinders to know that he has the 2 where it counts most :)

#26 ·
^^ Yep, I do.

I don't like the V8 verses V6 nonsense that goes on with these types of threads.

It's a good topic, so it can stay, as long as the above mentioned does not continue.

#27 ·
It's like watching folks argue about 9mm vs. 45 acp hahahahaha.
I'm glad I have a 3.7 because it's a good balance for me. I had a 5.9L Magnum V8 in my previous vehicle (Dakota R/T) and it was fun but the 9 MPG sucked.

I have access to a 6.2L SS Camaro so if I have the need for speed, I got that covered.

I tell you what.... I have scared the heck out of myself with my V6 Mustang, so I am perfectly happy with the power I have because there will always be that one guy or gall who has something faster than me.... so I don't get caught up in the whole 4 vs 6 vs 8 cylinder engines.

Yes the V8 sounds dang good when done right. Granted it's hard to make a V6 sound good but it has potential if you ask me, it can sound good in its own way. As far as the EB 4 cylinder, I've heard they have some issues and that they may not last that long.... but I don't have solid proof or personal experience so subject to corrections and change.

It's sad you can't get a V6 anymore with the new mustangs. I'm happy with my V6 and glad I got it. The extra 10k they wanted for a GT was not worth it to me.... to be 2 seconds faster? nah I'll pass.... but let me finish by saying, I do have love for the V8s so don't think I'm liking what I got because it's all I have or that I couldn't afford a V8 :)

#45 ·
Its close. The higher power Teslas are insanely fast. But there has been a lot of talk of what sort of noisemakers these cars will need to have when they are the majority on the road so pedestrians can hear them coming. My vote is the time machine sound from Back to the Future.

#47 ·
3K more expensive, turbo lag, and it sounds like something died in the exhaust.
Oh, and it's not any faster. Nor does it get much better gas mileage in actual not-90-years-old-grandmother-driving.

The Ecoboost is no improvement at all. I'd take the more reliable, more predictable, and less expensive V6 every day. It's a shame Ford is repeating the late 70s all over again. Soon you'll have hybrid Mustangs...

#52 ·
Stupid will not stop technology. If there's a profit to be made, technology will move forward. Greedy comes from profit; always more to be made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.