Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Is black the new orange ?

6K views 73 replies 29 participants last post by  69ponyxprs 
#1 ·
Why so so many black and dark colours for the Pony cars? I have been looking for my dream car for a while now, and really I am surprised by the number of black or dark vehicles... Of course there are the red ones. And more choice with the recent models. But frankly, why so many black cars? Aren't your dreams colorful?

#2 ·
It's as simple as the bright colors are low production because Americans on the whole are boring.

#5 ·
Nothing beats a clean white car, sorry. Oxford White Termi is pure sex, for example.

#8 ·
Yeah, I too have noticed an increase in dark colors, especially black on all vehicles. Perhaps people think black and/or dark colors are more menacing? In the past I preferred white and red, over time silver and different shades of gray have become favorites. My present Mustang is black, first black car I've owned, great when clean. Problem is keeping it clean, I never knew so much dust existed! Doubtful I'll ever purchase another black car. My silver Toyota 4runner always looks clean in comparison.

#10 ·
Americans do like boring colors. While not exactly car related, I really noticed that when in Ireland. There were more buildings and homes painted bright green, hot pink, teal blue etc... than there were "normal" colors. We like things simple it seems like.

#11 ·
I think a decent bit has to do with resale. When trying to sell my orange car, NOBODY would touch it. It seems harder in general to sell cars that aren't "boring". I see that this comes down to the same point of people wanting boring but it dissuades people from buying them from the get go.

I LOVE yellow. But a super clean black? Also extremely sexy.

#24 ·
#27 ·
I think it really depends on the actual car itself. If we're talking about cars like a Camry then it's alright to be in a boring color. If we're talking about cars like Mustangs, 370Z's, F-Type's; they look awesome in loud colors. Then again people are different and have different tastes so it's all good. Isn't white the trending color nowadays?

Pick your poison.

#31 ·
US car makers were ambitious with colors in the past. Think 50's cars, pastel colors, two tone and the styling, great stuff! Again, in the late 60's, early 70's, especially Mopar. High Impact colors: Plum Crazy/In Violet Metallic, Sublime/Lime Light, Green Go/Sassy Sass Green, Go Mango/Vitamin C Orange, Panther Pink/Moulon Rouge, Hemi Orange/Tor Red, Top Banana/Lemon Twist, loved those colors! Back in the day, I had a 69 Charger in Top Banana with black RT stripes, RT/SE 440 6pack, miss that car, also had a 73 Roadrunner in silver with red stripes that went along upper sides into roof, pretty loud color combo, transplanted 440 6 pack into that car.

#36 ·
I've always liked the stand out colors. Always wanted red which is what my first mustang was. My buddy had a red 2010 so I couldn't get the same color. I then wanted Kona or deep impact blue but found a great one that was ingot silver. Silver is growing on me even though it's boring. I love GTHIG as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#37 ·
Hi and thanks guys for all your stories. Just excellent, sometimes hilarious, memories and wise guidance too (dust).

Remember that in Bullit, the bad guys who drive a black car, it is the bad guys who are in a black car (and moreover a dodge, ouuuhhhh), and the hero is, of course, in a Mustang, a green one. A dark green, ok, but green.

Btw I picked my poison: it will be red!

#45 ·
Ah ah ah ! All excellent comments! So, no stripe for me. Definitely. It is true that the race red is flashy, but it will be ok for my first Mustang (I am excited like a kid yes!). Now, after one or two years, with more experience driving a RWD, I will be ready for a V8, and a dark red, even burgundy, testifying a new age of maturity, experience, and kind of zen (zen, but with a big V8 :). The path to enlightenment goes through a mustang. In color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.