Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2011-14 GT poor highway pick up.

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Revvv 
#1 ·
It could just be me, but do any of you feel the highway pick up is a bit sluggish? Even with a couple mods and a tune it's drastically different down low. Much quicker than stock but on the highway it feels so slow and heavy.

#5 ·
Not saying it was faster but the seat of the pants feel after 3 different datalogs with Bama it felt smoother and quicker than this. I had more done to it as well. Full exhaust and intake. This just has over axels mufflers and intake. I think it's mainly the altitude.
Even then though. Could it just be the gearing. 4th and 5th are just that much longer?

#3 ·
Check your air pressure. Weather is starting to cool which means your tire pressure is lower.

#4 ·
It's pretty hot here in Denver. High 70s low 90s. Plus I just new tire all around about 3 weeks ago. It's now so much as its just sorta always felt that way. Then again I've only driven the highways here in Denver. Not so much in Mass. Could just be overall altitude robbing power

#6 ·
I have an 06 with a five speed. I also live in Canada, so I have to convert kilometers per hour to miles per hour. Our speed limts up here are 70 miles per hour so that means everyone does 80 to 85. I don't take it out of 3rd until I've merged at 85. And if I want to pass someone, it never stays in 4th or 5th. It always goes into 3rd. 5th to me is just to cruise with no power expectations. 4th slightly better. But that's with a 4.6. My thoughts, if you want power, drop a couple of gears.

#7 ·
I've got 6 gears, 5th is ok 4th hits midway between 5k and 6k rpm 3rd will just barely give me 500 rpm to run. I also have 3.73 rear end. It's too short for highway power, but still it just doesn't feel like it's moving. Whatever though there's no need to be blasting around the hwy that quickly I guess.

#8 ·
I'm from Canada. So everything is metric. I know I've gone 160 kilometers per hour, which is 100 mph in 3rd so I'm wondering, when you say at highway speeds, what are your highway speeds where you are from? And what gear are you in that it feels sluggish? I know it's hard for me to compare the 6 speeds with the 5s, but just wondering.

#9 ·
Shoulda went 4.10s. If you feel its sluggish then downshift it into the power band. TBTH sounds like a driver mod is needed lol.

#11 ·
It came with 3.73, not going to install more gears. Can't help that it feels slow me. I'm sure your content with how it is.

On a 90 degree day in the Denver area, the density altitude can be somewhere in the neighborhood of 8500 ft.
That can definitely take it's toll on the performance of a naturally aspirated engine!
Thats what I figured...it doesnt feel like it did once I moved here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.