Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2018 Mustang GT price gouge

9K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  Guard 5.0 
#1 ·
My son had been waiting on a 2018 for HP increase, 10 speed automatic, etc, but after specing one out he's no longer interested.
A fully loaded one is in close distance of a GT 350 in price. Ford has upped their prices considerably on base and options. 1,900.00 on base alone.
I purchased a 2017 Roushcharged GT base in June, which is a true serialized car with supercharger, 670 HP, 3:55 gears, automatic, extreme duty axle shafts with Roush badging for 48K out the door. A lot of car for the money.
Ford may be making a big mistake.

#3 ·
Pricing, while a big jump from the 17 is well within line with the Camaro. Both are lots of car for the money

#4 ·
You can pick up "New" 2016 Roush Stage 3s for almost the same price... I know of 3 around $55K

#8 · (Edited)
I used Truecar for the invoice price on my 2015. I took an invoice print out to my local Ford dealer and they beat the invoice price by over $1,000. So what is the "real" price on these Mustangs? And as great as the Camaro is supposed to be, why are dealers sitting on tons of unsold Camaros? That was a rhetorical question. Lol

#12 ·
Some things I noticed about the 2017 vs the 2018. Probably been covered before.
1) it seems that the 3.31 axle is gone, now the base axle is 3.55
2) The performance package, in 2017 had spoiler delete, whereas 2018 comes with a specific spoiler... (seems like a really expensive spoiler)
3) Active exhaust is now an option, it was a Roush thing, now seems to have found it's way onto the regular production car.
4) MagnaRide now an option
5) Reverse sensing system is now STANDARD where it was an OPT in 2017
6) Spare tire went from $255 to $405 (pic looks to be the same)

#13 ·
Okfoz.......Interesting that the 3.31 has gone by the wayside. Probably with the advent of the 10 speed, they are able to have the best of both worlds:

Sub 4 second 0 to 60 in the lower gears.
Lower rpm on the freeway resulting in higher mpg rating.

Sounds like Ford made the best use of the investment they made in the 10 speed. I really like our 2015 with the 3.55's, but the highway rpm is higher than I'd prefer, or is needed. I can however climb almost ANY grade here in the NW at highway speeds without downshifting, so there is that benefit.
And, I guess that 25-mpg in a 435 hp car is still OK. The $30K it would take me to move up to the 2018 I'd want would buy me a LOT of gasoline for our 2015!!
I wonder if, back to back, my butt dyno could tell the difference between a 4.4 second 0 to 60 time and a 3.9 second time.....

#17 ·
The seatometer should feel a .5 second improvement. like you said, not sure if is worth a 30K investment. You are talking >10% improvement.

One thing I have read is some people state that the shorter gears, IE the 3.31 & 3.55 actually perform better in the 1.4 mile than the 3.73 with the performance package, but I think the performance package is less for 1/4 mile time and more for road course.

When I got my car with the Roush SC, someone said I should upgrade from the 670HP to the 730HP, apparently it is only .2 improvement in the 1/4 mile, which was not enough to void my warranty.

#14 ·
I sure am happy I still love my 2012 and not even thinking of another car.
Ronnie

#16 ·
A very good point Lee, I would say around $35,000 to $40,000 with some stuff added would be what the cost should be now.
Ronnie

#26 ·
not a total derail, but.......

I priced out new Vettes last night (on-line) I figure I could get what I want for 50-60K brand new with the higher number being the Grand Sport. I really like the new style and a few years in to the model cycle you can get them for 5-9K less than sticker. I've started doing a couple of trial balloons with Mrs Mud with no definite yes/no from her.

I like my Stang but want something more fun to drive

#29 ·
You can get a (new/Used) 2016 Roush Stage 3 for that price range... And have something that is more unusual than a Corvette, AND faster than a corvette except for the Z06... The Z51 C&D clocked 1/4 mile at 12.2 seconds, and the Roush is said to be a 11.3 second car. It is nothing but pure joy to drive.

#36 ·
I know that a lot more can be gotten out of the car with a tune. However to be honest 1) Roush/Ford have to abide by federal and state laws with emissions. 2) With an aftermarket tune, my drive-train warranty goes bye bye. Even with the $1000 kit from Roush to push 730HP I would lose my drive train warranty.

I have a friend that had a tuned NA Coyote 2016 Mustang GT and he said it just wanted to pull like no tomorrow. When my warranty is up, I might consider putting on more of an aggressive tune, but for now it is fast enough for me.

#39 ·
$$$$$$ has always equaled HORSEPOWER.
Ya want a fast car, Ya just gotta pay up.
Then, there is always the used market,
This is nothing new, It has always been this way.
Ronnie

#40 ·
Leonardo da Vinci’s painting, “Saviour of the World,” sold for $450,312,500 Wednesday at auction, Christie’s said. The price, which includes a buyer’s premium, makes it “the most expensive painting ever sold at auction,” the auction house said in a statement.

And who thinks Ford is gouging us for the new Mustang? Like anything for sale, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

#45 ·
I consider it a very good thing that I hate the new hood design on the 2018.....that’s my excuse for not buying one and I’m sticking to it!

That, and there is not one creak, groan or rattle in my 19,000 mile 2015 GT convertible. There are a few sparkles in the windshield from road debris, but the paint, leather and carpeting look like new as does the top. Also, Ford no longer offers Guard Green which is the classiest color for an old man’s GT convertible — very understated and goes with the styling perfectly.
Time for tires in a few 1,000 miles but that’s it.....and even a lowly 435 HP will still spin the tires effortlessly, so 460 HP is like....meh!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.