off road x pipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
03 mustang GT

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to kcfan_2004 Send a message via Yahoo to kcfan_2004
off road x pipe

What is the deal with them? Why do people have them? Im just curious? Are they louder? And are they legal?? I want to know what I should get when I get my new exhaust. I also am looking for advice on what exhaust to get for my 03 GT. Im leaning towards borla stingers or maybe flowmasters. Any thoughts are appreciated!
kcfan_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: off road x pipe

Stingers...there, that ends that discussion.

O/R X? Well, no they are not legal. It will require either MIL eliminators (which I believe companies are not allowed to sell anymore) or a custom tune that disables the rear O2 sensors or else you will have a permanent check engine light. Also, if you require yearly inspections where they use a sniffer device on your exhaust, you will not pass the test. If they only plug into your computer to read the codes like they do here, then you will pass fine as long as you do the tune or MIL's and as long as they don't look under your car.

Why do we put them on? Well, the sound is the first reason. An X-Pipe will give you a bit more exotic sound than an H-Pipe would. It definitely gives you more volume as well. You will also find that you will gain a little power from an off road as well because it frees up the exhaust flow and improves exhaust scavenging ... so it improves the efficiency of your motor = a little more power.

Now...I guess back to the exhaust. Borlas will be plenty loud for most even with the stock cats and stock H-Pipe. So, if you replace your H-Pipe with a catted version, you will still be plenty loud. It will be nice and mild when cruising, but once you press the loud pedal, the volume will go up quick. But, you won't go wrong with the stingers. They have a great muscle car sound to them. Avoid the chokemasters like the plague unless you do a 5.0 swap...because unfortunately, they sound pretty good on 5.0s.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
03 mustang GT

Thanks venom. You were exactly the person I was looking for input from. I am really leaning towards the stingers. I will have to look around for a good x pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

UPR is what I have on my car, priced right, and fit perfect. It's been on the car for 4 years now..no issues. It is the offroad X from them...not sure if they offer a catted version though. But the offroad is like $190 or so. Our sponsor Atomic Performance can probably definitely work you a good deal on it.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
03 mustang GT

So I just looked at atomic and they dont have a upr off road for an 03. The one you have is specifically for an 04. And I heard somewhere that the 04 is different than the 03 as far as mounting or o2 sensors go. Anyways, ill keep it in mind when I go to buy my exhaust.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfan_2004 View Post
So I just looked at atomic and they dont have a upr off road for an 03. The one you have is specifically for an 04. And I heard somewhere that the 04 is different than the 03 as far as mounting or o2 sensors go. Anyways, ill keep it in mind when I go to buy my exhaust.
My car is an 03, and it fits fine. The difference is that the version for the 04 requires O2 extenders which come with the kit. An 03 doesn't require the extenders...for the record, I have the 04 version on my 03 with no extenders...he grabbed the wrong box when we installed it so I got the 04 version....then he threw the extenders into one of the 03 boxes.

PM Jeff @ Atomic performace (UID: AtomicPerformance) and get a price from him...you will get it for less than it is on his website.

Also...just for the record...here's your version for the 03: UPR Products Off-Road X-Pipe for 99-03 Mustang GT & Cobra

Old 08-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
03 mustang GT

Im not sure how I missed that but thanks!! I will definately pm him and see what he can do for me. thanks again. And do you know what the difference between the borla stingers and aggressive exhaust is??
Old 08-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Borla stingers and what is the number on the aggressive exhaust? Are you refering to the Borla XR1's? If that is the comparison, the XR1's will be a bit louder. If you are referring to the XR1's, here is a fly by on the highway from a 96 GT's with offroad X and the XR1's (modular2valve is the car's owner)
Gabe Fly By

Here are the stingers on my car with the UPR offroad X...keep in mind mine is a 4 valve so it does sound a bit different than what your car will sound like...
Rob Fly By - Offroad X + Stingers

And for completeness sake, here is a flyby with stingers only, stock catted H-Pipe
Rob Fly By - Stock H-Pipe + Stingers

And, just to clear things up, you can buy the 04 version of the catted X-Pipe to put on your car...it will fit. The reason it is broken out is because 04's require the extenders and 03's don't. However, if you go offroad, just get the one I linked to in my previous post.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Ive heard if you put spark plug non foulers on the ends of your 02s they wont put the code out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion