She's Coughing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
She's Coughing

My well publicised mufflers have been on for a few weeks now, yes I just love the roar, but to honest wonder whether it is now almost too noisy (Is that possible ?).
To my point, now be gentle with me (as the actress said to the bishop) & accept that I am to mechanics what Mike Tyson is to ballet dancing !

When coasting down hill, gear engaged or perhaps rolling to stop @ signals or junction the new mufflers emit a burbling , coughing, farting ( No it's not me) sound, it's not backfiring , but kind of an irregular cough. What's the big deal ?, well whilst I love the roar on acceleration & the kick back sound on changing gear, I find the above described noise almost irritating & perhaps a manifestation of a fuel feed problem ( Too rich ?). Now again I don't know what I'm talking about, but wonder whether the engine management system (Chip), is now sending one message & the new muffler receiving another since it is not original equipment.
The system is as below.

# 4607SR5

Features & Benefits
Bassani Stainless Steel AFT-CAT:
Designed to maximize performance, improve style and enhance sound characteristics.
Precision-engineered Stainless Steel for durability and backed by a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
Complete with superior quality mounting hardware and detailed instructions.
Legal in all 50 states, will not affect factory warranty or emissions standards.

This part supercedes Part number 54075.

Group: AFT-CAT
Makes/Models: FORD - AUTO - GT500
FORD - AUTO - Mustang GT

Years: 07-08
Engines: 5.4L Super Charged
Application: GT/GT500
Notes: Policies and information enclosed supercedes all previous application lists, and is subject to change without notice.
2 1/2" dia. tube, dual round street race performance mufflers.
Stainless Steel. 4" rolled edge slash cut polished stainless tip. Stock location exit.

I assumed as it was specced for the GT500 that the existing chip would still speak to it as with the original mufflers , am I wrong ?, am I harming performance by making this change ?, could I be doing any damage ?, is my noise experience typical . I am anyway thinking of getting a professional tune, is that necessary & any idea what it would cost, I hear also about cold air intakes, what does that give me & would an insert in the bodywork be necessary ?

Apologies for so many questions, but I know so many of you really know your onions & can assist the idiot writer ( I really am trying to learn)
English Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: She's Coughing

When exhaust systems start breaking in. They make all kinds of noises. Its normal. There is no problem with the car except the noise that annoys you.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for comforting words, it's not really that annoying, I was more concerned with a hit on performance or some form of damage to system.
English Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing wrong with her, lets put it this way she just clearing her throat. So you can enjoy the full beauty of it. Glad to hear you still like it.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Straight through mufflers like the Bassanis have a tendency to do that. Which is exactly why I prefer chambered mufflers.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

My chambered mufflers do the same thing...then again they are 1 chambers....

I kinda like it as long as it isn't overpowering gurgling.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion