Car Restoration Chain of Events: Need help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Car Restoration Chain of Events: Need help

Ok, I'm finally at a point where things are settled down enough that I can get back to work on my 81. I'm going to be getting the body blasted by the end of the year and ready for body work.

Where I am stumped is, what should my outline be as far as putting the car back together? Here is what I have so far:
  1. Media blast and get car in primer
  2. Body work/repairs, reprime affected areas
  3. Chassis Stiffening (Cage, Subframes, torque box supports)
  4. Suspension (Front, rear, front 5-lug conversion)
  5. Rear end (8.8 rebuild with welded tubes, bracing, 5-lug disc conversion)
  6. Electrical (Rewiring whole car with new painless harness)
  7. Re-Install all Glass
  8. Brakes
  9. Fuel
  10. Engine, Trans, Exhaust
  11. Interior
  12. Paint Car
  13. Re-install trim, lights, and moldings

Does this seem like a logical chain of events or should some things be moved around?
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Re: Car Restoration Chain of Events: Need help

you may want to paint before you install the glass or motor or what-not. Especially if you plan on changing the color. That way your engine bay will roughly match the exterior.

Painting before glass and trim means less prep work for the paint shop.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Ugh, I knew that and just re-looking at my list I confused myself.

For paint, I expect to send it to the paint shop without motor and trans, just as a shell. I guess the thought is to build the motor, get everything test fitted and clearanced, then take it all back out when it comes time to paint. I just don't want to paint before installing the motor just in case modifications are needed. A 520+ cube BBF might need some body panel tweaks when all is said and done.

The glass I wanted to install after the electrical so that I can make sure the electrical stays dry inside. I don't have a garage, only a car port, so it is possible for it to be exposed to the elements as it is today. Initially, I had glass at the end after paint. I do need to update my list though and add on the trim stuff.
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Ugh, I knew that and just re-looking at my list I confused myself.

For paint, I expect to send it to the paint shop without motor and trans, just as a shell. I guess the thought is to build the motor, get everything test fitted and clearanced, then take it all back out when it comes time to paint. I just don't want to paint before installing the motor just in case modifications are needed. A 520+ cube BBF might need some body panel tweaks when all is said and done.

The glass I wanted to install after the electrical so that I can make sure the electrical stays dry inside. I don't have a garage, only a car port, so it is possible for it to be exposed to the elements as it is today. Initially, I had glass at the end after paint. I do need to update my list though and add on the trim stuff.
yeah, the being left exposed to the elements adds important information

In that case, your build looks better. Definitely seal it up before electrical... though you could paint it before you do electrical.

So something like...

1) media blast
2) fix body panels
3) seal bad areas so rusting isn't an issue
4) test fit motor/trans
5) paint
6) install glass
7) install electrical
8) drop in motor/trans
9) brakes, rear end etc.
10) finish her up

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 10-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
yeah, the being left exposed to the elements adds important information

In that case, your build looks better. Definitely seal it up before electrical... though you could paint it before you do electrical.

So something like...

1) media blast
2) fix body panels
3) seal bad areas so rusting isn't an issue
4) test fit motor/trans
5) paint
6) install glass
7) install electrical
8) drop in motor/trans
9) brakes, rear end etc.
10) finish her up

if finish her up includes interior, this is a good list to follow, ill be building a notchback at the same time rob
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrange View Post
if finish her up includes interior, this is a good list to follow, ill be building a notchback at the same time rob
hell yeah it does.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Road Trip!

thata the order imma do my build up
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion