Terminator vs GT500 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Terminator vs GT500

Alright, so I've convinced my uncle, who is a rocket scientist for NASA (lol), that a cobra is the better buy over an older chevy ~ camaro/corvette etc.

He likes the new GT 500s, but I told him the 03/04 cobras were better, due to better handling, IRS, greater fun factor, and broader modification abilities.

Just want to know from you guys, which one you would pick.
Maybe some of your opinions could help influence his decision
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Terminator vs GT500

I'm very biased, but here's my take.

The GT500 is just as mod-able as the 03/04 cobras. The same "bolt ons" that made the 03/04's the kind of the hill do the same to the GT500.

The GT500 is much more refined than the 03/04 cobra. The new S197 platform feels much more solid to drive and the hydrolic clutch and shifting are much more refined.

To me, the winner is the 03/04 cobra. I was able to drive an 07 GT500 once, and even modded it didn't seem as violent as my car. It didn't feel as strong. It was putting down more power than my car, but it just did not feel it. The GT500 just feels like a hippo. While the weight difference isn't near what everyone made a big deal about when they first came out, just part one next to any SN95 mustang and it just looks huge. I parked next to the GT500 I drove and it made my car look like a cheetah ready to pounce.

However, I'm betting your uncle is going to lean towards the GT500 for a couple of reasons. A, it resembles a legendary car from his era. And B, it has a legendary name on it. I am all for the 60's fast backs, and I am a big fan of shelby's work back then. However, the GT500 really has nothing to do with the man besides the name plate and the "shelby tax" making the car cost more than it is worth.

If your uncle is more for refinement, I would go with the GT500. If he is looking for pure mean-ness, the 03/04 cobra is the only way to go.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, appreciate it.
That's what I told him. A GT500 really isn't what it used to be 40 years ago. I have also heard from others that the GT500 doesn't feel like 500hp. It didn't have the excitement. For the money he'll spend on a new GT500, he could find a decent 65-68. He could spend more to find a perfect one if he wanted to.

Here in Wisconsin, I've seen numerous 03 cobras with under 20,000 miles goin for $30,000 and well below. He could buy two termys for the price of one GT 500.
That's why I'll be buying a termy in another year or two once I start co-oping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Asking this in the V6 forum was an interesting choice...

I, personally, like the GT500s better. I think the body style is infinitely more appealing. I've never driven either one, but I've rode in a stock GT500. It pulled real hard. I was fairly impressed. From the factory, I would imagine the GT500s would pull an 03-04 Cobra. Once the mods start, who knows.

That's my $0.02, for what it's worth.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Termy's are going for 20-24k right now...and some even less. The market has died a good bit with the economy and now is the time to buy with winter coming.

But yes, the GT500 does not feel like 500 hp at all. The "drive by wire" stuff and other refinements are great when you think of it as progressing technology. But, to me, it just doesn't give me the same feeling of raw power...more refined power.

My car is just raw "sunglasses removing" power and my car isn't really all that powerful in the world of cobras. It's just another ported cobra. Not a bad *** at all. But everyone gets giddy riding in it...some get cramps from fighting the g forces, some lose accessories (like sunglasses on a downshift on the interstate ).
Old 11-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
Asking this in the V6 forum was an interesting choice...

I, personally, like the GT500s better. I think the body style is infinitely more appealing. I've never driven either one, but I've rode in a stock GT500. It pulled real hard. I was fairly impressed. From the factory, I would imagine the GT500s would pull an 03-04 Cobra. Once the mods start, who knows.

That's my $0.02, for what it's worth.
When you pulley a GT500 and pulley a cobra, it would be a driver race really. They both respond about the same to the bolt ons. The GT500 does pick up a little more power due to the displacement advantage, but the cobra is able to stay close because of the weight advantage and can easily make up for the difference in driver abilities...or lack there of.

I have been able to pull a pulleyed GT500 a couple of times.

Case in point...

Old 11-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, about putting it on the V6 forum, I seem to get more response there.

That's what I always thought about the newer mustangs ~ more refined power than shear, raw, slam your *** back in the seat power.

On streetfire.net, there is a video from Head2Head on the termy and the GT500.

H2H Ep5, GT500 Vs. SVT Cobra- Video

I agree with what they say.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Mustang GT HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
When you pulley a GT500 and pulley a cobra, it would be a driver race really. They both respond about the same to the bolt ons. The GT500 does pick up a little more power due to the displacement advantage, but the cobra is able to stay close because of the weight advantage and can easily make up for the difference in driver abilities...or lack there of.

I have been able to pull a pulleyed GT500 a couple of times.

Case in point...

Whine, whine, whine. I love that sound.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang GT HO View Post
+1
Old 11-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I'm with Rob...then again you see what we both own. The car just feels like it has the raw power to do anything you want...and mine's stock. It's slow to me but still death defying to many.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I'm with Rob...then again you see what we both own. The car just feels like it has the raw power to do anything you want...and mine's stock. It's slow to me but still death defying to many.
Mine feels slow too and I always end up apologizing to the passenger saying it felt off like something was wrong...all the while they are catching their breath, grabbing their stomachs, or "holy ****ting" beside me. :dunno:
Old 11-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I have yet to drive a GT500, but I have owned my 03 for 3 years and I have driven many 05+ mustangs. They are more refined and all that, but they are bigger vehicles. They handle good and ride good overall.

The GT500 is heavier, and it shows in driving... but not so much so that is not worth a look (it is 4000lbs for the coupe fyi) the modability of the 5.4L 4v engine is great, you get more hp/tq per mod than the 03/04 cobra and in the end you will have more power with the GT500 vs the 03/04. There are more GT500s than 03/04 cobras, they are flooding the markets with them.... its much more noticed currently than the 03/04 cobras. The price on the gt500s are starting to be what they should, they have been overpriced since they came out~ which sucks. They dont have an IRS like the 03/04 does... not sure if thats good or bad considering how ****ty the design of the IRS is for the cobra. The GT500 has transmission/clutch issues to look out for, and the rods in the engine are far weaker than the 03/04.

The 03/04 is lighter (3660 for the coupe) and looks smaller. Looks more smooth and IMO for base model vs cobra in looks is much better designed then the GT500. I love the look of the 03/04. They have been out, are half the price, and mods are cheap and easy. They dont have a warranty... which push some away. They have some issues with coolant on the drivers side head back side. The pistons are ****... compared to what they should be and are to tight in the cylinders, Overall bang for the buck is with this one and you can find a perfect condition one for a good price if you hold out.

You cant say one is better than the other, its all about what you want in the car~ just have to research them and look into them and see which fits you better. I hope my next mustang is a GT500 but it wont be at the expensive of my 03, I wont give it up for one. Once I drove one and heard the whine I was sold.

My car feels slow (and is) as well adn when I ride in others cars and they get on them im like... um this it... so I guess im spoiled now and will have to keep going higher and higher in the hp/tq on my cars
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
Talking Re: Terminator vs GT500

My .02 cents, with inflation, it ain't much. As for comparing a 60's GT500 to an 08,
let me say this. I owned a 68 Gt500, and it would'nt have a prayer against my 08.
They were lucky to turn low 14's or high 13's. Without mods. They rattled, and
shook, and maybe got 13MPG. Workmanship from factory left a lot to be desired.
They sucked in handling. I have twice got 24mpg, in my 08 vert, even after installing
cold air, reprogramming, and 49 state ford racing mufflers. The mpg was at a steady
55-60, and staying in 6th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	19843  
larry a gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry a gray View Post
My .02 cents, with inflation, it ain't much. As for comparing a 60's GT500 to an 08,
let me say this. I owned a 68 Gt500, and it would'nt have a prayer against my 08.
They were lucky to turn low 14's or high 13's. Without mods. They rattled, and
shook, and maybe got 13MPG. Workmanship from factory left a lot to be desired.
They sucked in handling. I have twice got 24mpg, in my 08 vert, even after installing
cold air, reprogramming, and 49 state ford racing mufflers. The mpg was at a steady
55-60, and staying in 6th.
Comparing a 68 to an 08 speed wise is crazy. However, the nostagia of a 68 vs an 08 now, and 40 years from now will be completely reversed. The 08 will be an "Oh yeah, they had this fast mustang". The 68 is a legend built by a legend....not a car with a legends name on it.

Also, comparing technology from the 60s to today is not an even comparison.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Cool Re: Terminator vs GT500

Well That was just my opinion. And as you know, there like ********,
everybody's got one. I had a number of the "Muscle Cars", new.
And I assure you, I felt every bit as good about having them then,
as I do my 500 vert now. If I had, had this one then, I probably
would have been dead, way back then. I totaled 5 of them.
To much Colt 45, and pedal to the metal. I much prefer to tool
down the hiway with a 1000 watts of stereo, when back then,
you were lucky to have AM radio. If someone wishes to spend
80 or 90 K on a full resto, I'm glad they do, but you can't drive it.
Everything has gottenbetter, I think over time. Would you rather
have a 70's commodore coumputer or what you have now? Or a
black, and white Tv, or your HDTV unit? I know I'm probably not
making much sense, but for me it's just a case of been there, done that.
One thing about the older cars, they had better color combos, and
you could get about any color set-up you wanted. Now it's, oh you
want that color interior, sorry it only comes with one exterior color.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Yeah, it was my opinion as well...but, like you, I am biased cause I own the 03/04.

My bet is his uncle would rather the refinement and namesake of the GT500....where as I just want the raw break your neck power.

And yeah, the color options these days suck. I don't see why you can't get a certain color combo when it's obvious you have it because it comes with other colors.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:54 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang GT HO View Post
I do too. Almost sounded like it was a whine-off lol.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:06 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I think he should buy both, resto a 68, and throw down on a fresh one. He could have one to look at, and wouldn't even have to wash and have one to drive.
Cobra GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

yea ive seen that video before, it just brings a smile to your face when u hear the whine off lol.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
My car is just raw "sunglasses removing" power and my car isn't really all that powerful in the world of cobras. It's just another ported cobra. Not a bad *** at all. But everyone gets giddy riding in it...some get cramps from fighting the g forces, some lose accessories (like sunglasses on a downshift on the interstate ).
i can vouch for that lol.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

I plan on buying an 03/04 Cobra. They look better and they sound better.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

That's a great idea buy a 67-69, and resto, but depending on condition, and reato
costs, (Saw a fully restoed 69 KR500 vert, that went for 135K not to long ago),
and buying a new one to drive. 45-55K, depending on hdtp or vert, and options.
That's way out of my range. Question about video, I see reference to pullying
03, is that all that was done? I could bring mine to 600 hp with new blower for
6K, but have just added 40hp with some of blower kit. That means $100 a HP
for the rest of it, don't think so. Ford racing had different pulleys, and I thought
about it, but said voided all drivetrain warrenty. Checked crate 500 motor at
Ford racing. 17K (includes blower). I guess I won't go any further. It is great
that Ford is only US maker using the DOHC tech. Are any of you out there old
enough to remember the 427 SOHC hemi. (I think it was a hemi). Made for NASCAR, but it
was so strong they outlawed them, because they destroyed the Hemi's. What
few were left, ended up in AFX cars on the 1/4. had a hard job holding them
together. Be interesting to see what any surviving (if any) engines are worth
today.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

You all bring many good, strong points. I agree with purevenom, my uncle is the type who would rather have the "GT 500" car, that would seem to pay homage to its ancestral brethren that he grew up driving and enjoying.

I, on the other hand, would rather take the raw power of the 03/04 cobra...coupe or convertible form, in sonic blue to be exact.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Question about video, I see reference to pullying
03, is that all that was done? I could bring mine to 600 hp with new blower for
6K, but have just added 40hp with some of blower kit. That means $100 a HP
for the rest of it, don't think so. Ford racing had different pulleys, and I thought
about it, but said voided all drivetrain warrenty.
For the 03/04 cobra the stock PSI is around 8~ and the stock supercharger pulley size is 3.65 inches. You can take it down to 2.76 or you can go with different combos for the supercharger and lower pullies etc etc to push it up to 17-19psi. Without doing anything to the blower other than putting a pulley on it you can get close to 500rwhp/tq (wouldnt dare say break 500 but every car is different)

So just a supercharger pulley with exhaust/cai/tune should get you in the 450-475 range depending on pulley you run.

You can do the same on the GT500 no idea on power levels per psi though.

Shelby had put his name on other cars ... and most have no idea what they are. I dont see the new gt500 having the staying power than the old ones had~ but you never know. Either way they are not a good way to invest money for the future lol.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I, on the other hand, would rather take the raw power of the 03/04 cobra...coupe or convertible form, in sonic blue to be exact.
didnt know that was your favorite color, sonic pony

seriously, I love the gt500 styling (dont know why but I do) but i would buy a 03/04 over that car anyway. I guess ill just have to make my own termy

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Thanx for the info Spector. Did not buy my 08 redstripe black vert as an investment.
If I did Seeing as how it is #128 of 131 made, I would'nt be driving it. At my age. if
I had trailered it home, and parked it, and kicked off, without driving it, I would
never rest in peace. I'm having to much fun driving it, to worry about and investment.
I'll let someone else down the road do a resto on it. (If I don't total it)
Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Good video to watch.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting video. That 1/4 time was about what Motor Trend had. They had 12.5
in their extensive comparasing of the Hemi Challenger, Hemi was about 13.2.
Just checked door sticker, and weight on my vert, is 4820. I wanted to go with
pulley set-up, 3:73 gears. Read a couple of places that pulley's would be good for
around a 100 HP. When I got cold air package from Ford Racing, they had all of
the stuff, but they stated very clearly, that doing the pulley's, or gears, or
both, would void drivetrain warranty. When I saw they wanted around 17K for
a crate engine, I decided to live with what I got. It's good enough to get to the
beer store, and back.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #29
Road Trip!

i didnt read all the posts, the gt500 makes more power with less boltons but costs more, it also doesent feel as fast because it is smoother power, my 84 corvette when it was stock and my stock gt ran the same track times (13.90@ 101-103) and my vette felt like twicw the car as my mustang......me im gonna buy a terminator because i like the body better and im a baller on a budget.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Just checked door sticker, and weight on my vert, is 4820.
Your car is not 4820lbs, that the max weight you should have in it plus the car (4820 total) not sure on exact weight but its probably around 4120~ as the coupe is right at 4000.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #31
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

The coupe is 3920, the vert is near 4040....according to fords official release. However, I've seen people report their coupes only weigh 3800 and change at the track without removing weight.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I love that head2head vid. I sent the link to my uncle and told him this is why he should just say **** it and buy both!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #33
Road Trip!

ironic that the sra out handled the irs
Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #34
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I don't think it was the solid rear outhandling the IRS...I think it was the fact the cobra actually had the power to kick the tail at will....

No matter how many times to try to build up the SRA, it is not going to be better than the IRS. Yes, the IRS is not perfectly designed and was a bit of an afterbirth for the cobra, but it is far and away superior to the SRA.

Solid is for those that just want to go straight...
Old 11-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #35
Road Trip!

i know, i just couldnt resist

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion