Newbie to AUTOX and a few Q's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-14-2004, 03:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Newbie to AUTOX and a few Q's

hi my name is tim im a newbie to this site since i spend most of my pc time on LSS.i have a few questions about auto-X.
1. Where can i find out if there are any events in my area?
2. What kind of mods will i need to my car to compete, if none needed then what would you guys reccommend(trying to keep each thing under $500 and will these void my warrenty)(i already have the most basic of basic mods)?
3. Do i need special safety equiptment?
4. Im under 18 would my parent have to accompany me to these events(for liability reasons)?
5. How long does each event typically last(1 day, a few hours, a weekend)?
any help or suggestions are apriciated<-----I cant spell eaither.

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
go to www.scca.org, they have a place where you can search for regions near you.

your car is classed, since you have mods, in ESP, which bites, I'd suggest running int he STX class, which is an option street tire class, (no slicks allowed). Suspension is really important. Some Ford C-springs, and some better shocks and struts wouldn't hurt, but aren't required. 17 or 18 inch rims are also nice. Subfram connectors an strut and shocktower braces aren't bad either.
the only thing you NEED is a car that is mechanically sound. The rest is just gravy.

Edit: The positive battery terminal needs to be covered, and the battery needs to be securred, the seat belts have to work, the throttle return spring needs to work, solid brake pedal feel. Your wheel berrings can't have exsessive play. (a new mustang should have no problem with all of these.) Your passenger compartment and trunk need to be empty of loose objects. (removal of spare tire is optional). You'll also need a snell 2000 compliant helmet. If you don't have a helmet they usually have loaners or you can borrow one from someone else. Every SCCA event I've ever been to has had loaner helmets available.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse
go to www.scca.org, they have a place where you can search for regions near you.

your car is classed, since you have mods, in ESP, which bites, I'd suggest running int he STX class, which is an option street tire class, (no slicks allowed). Suspension is really important. Some Ford C-springs, and some better shocks and struts wouldn't hurt, but aren't required. 17 or 18 inch rims are also nice. Subfram connectors an strut and shocktower braces aren't bad either.
the only thing you NEED is a car that is mechanically sound. The rest is just gravy.
thanks what would you reccommend for the shocks(tociko?<sp)?

i searched the site the other day and couldnt find any auto-X stuff could you point me in the right direction

thanks

BTW whats ESP?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

ESP stands for E-class Street Prepared. This is generally comprised of v8 firebirds, Cobras... badness, you'll get stomped. STX will have subaru wrx, lots of hondas and such, a 5.0 or two. Most will be modified. Just go race for fun for the first few times. The driving ability is a little more important than the equiptment for the first 5 or 6 events. I've been racing for about a year and a half, and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the most out of my car.
The events are usually from 9:00 (registration opens) until 5:00 or so (last timed runs and cleanup) cost is $20 for a non SCCA member. Oh, and go here:
http://www.scca.org/Inside/Index.asp...gionalSites&~= This will help you find close regions to race in.
As for what struts to use, try the suspension forum... I'm still running the stock ones so I have no opinion. anything else?
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Old 06-14-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ESP stands for E-class Street Prepared. This is generally comprised of v8 firebirds, Cobras... badness, you'll get stomped. STX will have subaru wrx, lots of hondas and such, a 5.0 or two. Most will be modified. Just go race for fun for the first few times. The driving ability is a little more important than the equiptment for the first 5 or 6 events. I've been racing for about a year and a half, and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the most out of my car.
The events are usually from 9:00 (registration opens) until 5:00 or so (last timed runs and cleanup) cost is $20 for a non SCCA member. Oh, and go here:
http://www.scca.org/Inside/Index.asp...gionalSites&~= This will help you find close regions to race in.
As for what struts to use, try the suspension forum... I'm still running the stock ones so I have no opinion. anything else?
thanks man really wanna get involved in this type of racing since draging my car is just embarrasing in the mustang capitol of the world since its dominated by V-8's

Old 06-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, although, the V-6 has better weight distribution, which helps a ton when cornering, which is what most of autocross is. On tight courses, you'll be able to keep up. On courses where there's a bunch of straight-a-ways they'll chew you up.

Oh, get yourself a rear swaybar. It's about $70, and it's cake to install and it will help you a great deal. Midwest mustang is a sponsor here, I beleive and he's great to work with. I just bought one for my fiancee's stang and I got it in 2 days. They rule.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

okay so what would you reccommend for upgrades in order.

btw i still couldnt find the website for my region

Old 06-16-2004, 08:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Were you able to find what region you are? It's possible that your region doens't have a website. If you can find a region near you, even if it doesn't have a website, I'm sure they have a e-mail address you can use to ask for a list of events.

As far as suspension mods, I'd go first with a rear swaybar because it's the cheapest and easiest to install. Next up would be Ford C springs or similar lowering spring. Also new rims, I like 17's will help prevent your tires from rolling over onto the sidewall in heavy cornering. If you have someone who can weld they can make up some brackets and you can put quad shocks on there too. They help control the axle, to keep it from twisting. I'm told a new set of lower control arms will do the job as well if not better. new shocks and struts help too. If you want to get real hardcore about it, skip the C springs and shocks and get a coil over setup. Those are damned pricey though.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Were you able to find what region you are? It's possible that your region doens't have a website. If you can find a region near you, even if it doesn't have a website, I'm sure they have a e-mail address you can use to ask for a list of events.

As far as suspension mods, I'd go first with a rear swaybar because it's the cheapest and easiest to install. Next up would be Ford C springs or similar lowering spring. Also new rims, I like 17's will help prevent your tires from rolling over onto the sidewall in heavy cornering. If you have someone who can weld they can make up some brackets and you can put quad shocks on there too. They help control the axle, to keep it from twisting. I'm told a new set of lower control arms will do the job as well if not better. new shocks and struts help too. If you want to get real hardcore about it, skip the C springs and shocks and get a coil over setup. Those are damned pricey though.
where would a strut tower brace fit in there?

Old 06-16-2004, 02:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Strut tower brace is on the list. I'm not sure where exactly it fits. probably after springs and shocks/struts, since, without those, the suspension is probably too soggy to benifit from stiffer strut towers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion