so about the cobra - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: so about the cobra

It's just me but I think the black inserts would look a lot better than chrome on a yellow car, but it's not my car

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the look pretty good, the issue with polished is they reflect what ever color ~ its not just "chrome"
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #38
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Black inserts would look better on the yellow. I'm going with the black chrome ones from where spector got his from.

As for the tune, no, you can drive your car after you put the pulley on, but you can NOT, in any way shape or form, go into boost while doing so until you get the tune.

I too would recommend billetflow...that's what I had on my car before my latest blower swap.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to USMC Roush Send a message via MSN to USMC Roush

I like them both I didn't know about the cobra being aftermarket though, it is kinda small, for being in the big hole for the front grill. thanks for the advice on the lettering, i ordered the letters earlier, i think i'm ordering the chrome rims for the car too, i mean hell, why not ya know? so in 2003 were their only 5082 cobras made is it really that rare of a car?

United States Marine Corp OIF/OEF 2009 - 2010 - Yellow 2003 Cobra: RAI, BBK mid headers, 2.81 pulley, BBK o/r X pipe, Borla Stinger Exhast, cross drilled and slotted front/rear rotors...next thing to come is color matched calipers. (still needs to be installed but it's waiting for me)
USMC Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #40
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Here's a great page to check out...
Terminator FAQs

And here's a breakdown of build numbers. 5000 was the 04 model, 03 had 13k.

Terminator Production Numbers
Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Black inserts would look better on the yellow. I'm going with the black chrome ones from where spector got his from.

As for the tune, no, you can drive your car after you put the pulley on, but you can NOT, in any way shape or form, go into boost while doing so until you get the tune.

I too would recommend billetflow...that's what I had on my car before my latest blower swap.
Then i'll probably just take it to a shop and have them do it, i know a few tune shops around where i live, one is called Majestic Autosport they are really good at what they do, they've done all the work on my buddies GTO and it's turned out really well. thanks for the info though

United States Marine Corp OIF/OEF 2009 - 2010 - Yellow 2003 Cobra: RAI, BBK mid headers, 2.81 pulley, BBK o/r X pipe, Borla Stinger Exhast, cross drilled and slotted front/rear rotors...next thing to come is color matched calipers. (still needs to be installed but it's waiting for me)
Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
It's just me but I think the black inserts would look a lot better than chrome on a yellow car, but it's not my car
The black would contrast well with the color yellow, i didn't know they made the blackone's guess i didn't see them or else i just overlooked them, time to kank that order and find the black ones. thanks alot man, i never realized

Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

I was reading the FAQ page and i saw that the transmission is only good for 450ftlbs of torque... that seems to be a problem if i run like 470/470 or is the transmission underrated too

Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #44
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Uh, well, I was at over 500 tq for 2 years...and many are over 600 tq....yeah, you're fine.

The weak point in teh trans is the input shaft. It has been know to snap even at stock HP levels. The fix is to replace the stock 10 spline with a 26 spline when you swap out your clutch. This pretty much fixes any torque issues you may be concerned about.

For the record, slostang on here is 600+ hp and 550+ tq I believe....races his car at the track...and lunches on slicks and his stock 10 spline hasn't gone out yet.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

awesome thanks.

does anyone here have an after market boost gauge by chance it appears only the 10psi is shown on the stock gauge and it runs 8.2lbs stock and if i goto a 2.81 that's about 14lbs of boost so should i swap the boost gauge for an after market one that goes higher?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #46
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

No, you shouldn't. You should get this instead:

Hilton Boost Overlay

I have one on mine as well. It lets you keep your stock appearance as well...plus it's much cheaper than a gauge and a pod.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

awesome, how hard is it to calibrate though?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #48
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Well, mine is calibrated pretty much dead on and all I did was take the needle off, put the overlay one, stick the needle back on right at 0. It has been verified on the dyno and is right on with what another gauge reads. So, I'm going to say it's a piece of cake.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

so here's what i'm looking at and tell me if i'm good, i'm getting a 2.81 pulley, aftermarket idler to make sure tension is good, the hilton overlay (thanks purevenom), bassani X pipe, bassani ceramic coated mid lenght headers, bassani mufflers, K&N FIPK intake ... with that, what am i looking at HP/TQ wise and takers on the guess?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

even better, venom is amazing... haha

Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #51
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

That looks like a good setup right there. I'm about to get the bassani headers installed on my car as well once they get back from jet hot. Mine were used so I sent them off to get cleaned up and ceramic coated.

With them, you will want to toss the bassani gaskets that come with them and get remflex gaskets. You can find them on their website (REMFLEX Exhaust Gaskets: Home Page). They have bassani specific gaskets. They are much thicker and have 50% crush to fill up to 1/16" gaps. It has been the only gasket known to make the bassanis not leak. They are only like $35.

The only thing I would like to throw out there is the bassani cat back is going to be LOUD. It does sound good, but it is super duper loud. Borla Stingers are the same price range and are loud as well, but are more muscle car sounding loud. They have more of a gutteral growl sound vs the bassanis which scream. I spend about 6 months listening to clips of the two setups before I finally ordered the stingers. I kept changing my mind all the time about which to get. I'm very happy I got the stingers.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #52
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Also, I will have mine installed once they come back so you will be able to hear the bassani mids with the stingers as I will get a video clip for you. Mine will have an h-pipe however as that is what came with it when I bought them used.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post

The only thing I would like to throw out there is the bassani cat back is going to be LOUD. It does sound good, but it is super duper loud. Borla Stingers are the same price range and are loud as well, but are more muscle car sounding loud. They have more of a gutteral growl sound vs the bassanis which scream. I spend about 6 months listening to clips of the two setups before I finally ordered the stingers. I kept changing my mind all the time about which to get. I'm very happy I got the stingers.
Thanks the sound i'm looking for is the loud scream going down the road but when i let off of it i'm looking for the deep gurgle and pop sounds that my buddy has on his GTO, it sounds freaking awesome. He has SLP loud mouth exhaust though... so that's a no go on a ford

Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #54
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

You can buy those for a ford, but don't. They sound like *** on our motors.

The Bassanis will sound a lot like the SLP's, but without the *** ness. The borlas have the pop on decel as well...but don't scream at WOT. They are loud, but a throaty loud and not a "**** THE WORLD YOUR EARS SHALL BLEAD" type scream like the bassanis have. Either one will be a great choice. Like I said, I spent 6 months trying to decide between the 2.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

i like how you make the Borlas sound i'll probably go with that, i don't want a **** the world sound out of my car to much sounds like *** so i'll go borla.

so does anyone have a hp estimate?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #56
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Here are some video clips for you of my car:

Borla Stingers with Stock H-Pipe and Cats- Fly By This video is when I had the 2.76" upper pulley on stock blower

Inside with O/R x and top down

On the Dyno

Quick Fly by on the interstate
Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #57
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

yeah, the Borla's sound great... from what I gathered from being behind Rob

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

awesome, love the video's sounds ****ing awesome, i'm definately going borlas, time to start spending some money in about 5 minutes

Old 02-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

with all the mods i want to do, could i hit right at 500?

Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

get your blower ported and bigger injectors and you shall hit 500hp

Old 02-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

what am i looking at without doing that?

Old 02-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

between 430-470hp depending on the tune. you could get to 500hp without a ported blower, but it will require a tune that it on the razors edge. that could make it go boom at any time

Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

the reason people are saying to go with billitflow pullies are because it can be changed out with 4 bolts, so you don't have use a puller. so it only takes about 5mins.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #64
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I love rob's description...I think my exhaust is now right on the verge of being too much. Pulled the cats out the other night...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #65
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
the reason people are saying to go with billitflow pullies are because it can be changed out with 4 bolts, so you don't have use a puller. so it only takes about 5mins.
+20
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
between 430-470hp depending on the tune. you could get to 500hp without a ported blower, but it will require a tune that it on the razors edge. that could make it go boom at any time
awesome, yeah i'll be good with 450 right now and then go with the ported blower and some bigger injectors. now the billitflow pulley, that's just a pull the old off throw the new on w/ a new serp belt correct? does american muscle have the billitflow pulleys?

Old 02-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

don't know if AM sells them. you also need to get the extra idler pully to prevent belt slip

Old 02-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

dual idler pulleys? very well, i'm just making a shoping list

Old 02-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

it's an idler pulley that sits just below the S/C pulley to the right

Old 02-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #70
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Roush View Post
awesome, yeah i'll be good with 450 right now and then go with the ported blower and some bigger injectors. now the billitflow pulley, that's just a pull the old off throw the new on w/ a new serp belt correct? does american muscle have the billitflow pulleys?
No, AM doesn't carry the BF pulleys. Very few people do. check out BilletFlow: Home of Premium Billet Pulleys, Throttle Bodies and Accessories to order them.

The idler he is talking about goes right next to the blower pulley. It is a newly added pulley that doesn't come stock. When you order it, it will come with a bracket. It takes about 5 mins to install....and will really help belt wrap with that 2.81 upper.

However, you will want the 2.76 upper from billetflow. They don't offer the 81. You will hit 450-470 hp depending on the tune and the conditions the day you are on the dyno.

The idler is the one to the right of my blower pulley, the one at the very top making the belt bend inward. This was my first pulley swap to the 2.76" upper.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion