so about the cobra - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to USMC Roush Send a message via MSN to USMC Roush
so about the cobra

I am definately going to be purchasing it, i got the price down to 18k from the dealership (w00t) but yeah i've done some research on it and every i've looked I hear people *****ing about the Shifter being to far forward? is this the case or is it just a case of sand in people's vigina and it's just fine if seat is adjusted?

United States Marine Corp OIF/OEF 2009 - 2010 - Yellow 2003 Cobra: RAI, BBK mid headers, 2.81 pulley, BBK o/r X pipe, Borla Stinger Exhast, cross drilled and slotted front/rear rotors...next thing to come is color matched calipers. (still needs to be installed but it's waiting for me)
USMC Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: so about the cobra

I missed it I think, what cobra are we talking about?

If it is a 99/01/03/04...the shifter isn't that bad. When your pimpin with your seat leaned back, 3rd/5th could be a stretch, but if you drive like a normal human or are at the track where there is no need to have the gangster lean, it is just fine.

I'm 6' tall and have no issues reaching any of the gears. I don't have to lean forward at all...but I also don't have the gangster lean going either. I also have a super short short throw handle (MGW blue, there is no handle, just threads for the knob)...and I still don't have any issues.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

awesome, well i don't do the gangsta lean, i drive relaxed but not gangsta style, well i'm glad to know it's not so damn bad, it's a 03 btw, i will probably get a short shift for it as well and i want to start getting parts for it... whats the best exhaust, intake, pully for the s/c i need to know these things, thanks guys, ya'll ****in' rock

United States Marine Corp OIF/OEF 2009 - 2010 - Yellow 2003 Cobra: RAI, BBK mid headers, 2.81 pulley, BBK o/r X pipe, Borla Stinger Exhast, cross drilled and slotted front/rear rotors...next thing to come is color matched calipers. (still needs to be installed but it's waiting for me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Shifter - MGW /debate

Exhaust - Borla Stinger Catback /debate With stock cats, sounds great...with an offroad...sounds amazing.

Intake - JLT RAI, or if you want the filter in the engine bay, the JLT CAI - don't do the high boost version

Pulley - Depends on the supercharger. If it is stock, unported, go with a 2.76 or 2.93" billetflow upper only. You can get it roughly color matched to the car if it is black, redfire, sonic blue, or silver. It is a swappable system, so when you upgrade later, it is just 5 bolts to swap a pulley isntead of pulling it off completely. If it is ported already, then a 2.93 upper and a 4# or 6# lower is a great setup to maximize your power and really crank out the torque.

Heat Exchanger - I have the LFP dual pass on mine. I haven't had issues with it yet, others have had them pop the welds some times. I'm thinking it was a bad batch. LFP replaced it no questions asked for them.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i'd go for the ram air intake but as far as i know the car is completely bone stock, and all of that, it's not any of those colors though it's the yellow one. but if i did the 2.93" pulley and the intake and exhaust how much would i be looking at HP and TQ wise

Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

2.93 upper, RAI, and cat back you will see in the range of 450-470 hp and about the same in torque...depending on the quality of your tune.

Where are you located? You may have a master tuner near by if you are in the south somewhere (Florida, Alabama, SC, and Georgia have some great ones)
Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

currently i'm in iraq, but i live in Jacksonville, NC

Old 02-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

In that case, I would highly recommend a road trip down to amazon racing to get your tune when you do your pulley swap.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

where exactly is that located? i've only been in J-ville for a short time

Old 02-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Hmm...wow, about a 6.5 hour drive away.

Amazon Tuning Solutions
5297 HWY 76
Pendleton SC 29670
Old 02-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

so it'd probably be a better idea to take the car to them then install the pulley and have them tune it i'm guessing. i'm just glad to get this car, i have the roush already but i want something i can build up even more than the 2007 model mustang that and the cobra is just sexy

Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

more info on car please
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

i'm not to sure as to what you want to know, it's a 2003, Sonic Yellow Cobra Vert, 6spd transmission, everything is bone stock...nothing special is done to the car at the moment and i'm just trying to get ideas on performance mods to do to the car. it's only got 40,000 miles on it...stock intake, stock exhaust.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
more info on car please
Um, it's a 2003 SVT Mustang Cobra. They were released in mid 2002 and came with an Eaton M112 supercharger running 8ish PSI of boost. They were underrated at 390 hp and torque from the factory. This car was code named the terminator.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

The shifter really isn't that bad at all...I haven't had any reach issues with mine and I have a MGW orange handle.

Intake - definitely go with the RAI - it's been proven that you lose power with a fenderwell intake.

Exhaust - your personal opinion. I love the sound of borla but mine grows on me more and more. Bassani Catted X with single chamber flowmaster knockoffs. Soon be an O/R X in the next day or so.

Pulley - once again, depends on what you're wanting to do. I've been running the stock pulley, stock tune since Dec of 07 on my car. Putting on a stage V steggy ported blower, 2.76 upper, 2# lower. Fuel upgrades, etc. Should put me well over the 500 hp/tq marks.

Overall a very very fun car though.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

so if it's underrated at 390 how much is it really putting out? i knew about the code name, pretty sweet i must say. thank low flyn. I'm a big fan of SLP but again it's a GM exhaust but i like Borla alot and Bassani

Old 02-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

A lot of cars stock were dynoing around 370 rwhp...which when you do the math for drive train loss comes out around 420's.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

so factory it's saying 390 hp, not rwhp, god damn, that's alot of power, insane man, god i'm going to love this car, and you're saying if i do the pulley and tune it and the RAI and full exhaust i could be at 420 - 450 rwhp?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

No, with a 2.93 or 2.76 you will be upwards of 450-470 rwhp...and torque. I was at 450 hp and tq with a 3.10 upper pulley with exhaust and intake. My 2.76 was 458 hp and 470 something torque.

And even in stock form you're going to love this car. It will not feel like it is really fast until you look down in 3rd gear and realize you are almost doing 120 mph. It doesn't take long at all.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

damnnnn, got i just wanna go home and run this car, just one time. I've always loved sports cars and what not. i've riden in one and my buddy punched it going onthe the interstate in 1st gear and we got sideways on the on ramp, it was insanity and he was all stock

Old 02-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

My car put down 404/397 with small K&N, catted X, and catback.
Our's:
Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

damn, now i'm kinda kicking myself for getting hte Roush but at least i'll have something to drive as i work on the Cobra, i'm all excited now for parts to buy... thanks alot everyone, if anyone has anything they wanna add feel free

Old 02-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Roush View Post
currently i'm in iraq, but i live in Jacksonville, NC
your not far from me.... cherry point. good luck with the mods.

im getting there.
DaDant! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

thanks man, i'll definately enjoy it, maybe i'll hit you up when i get back, go for a cruise, have us all go out on a night to a bar or something i'll drive upto C-point

Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

sound good. ive seen alot of stangs meeting up at the shell on western friday nights i think...

im getting there.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i've seen them a few times, all i had was my RX7 at the time and my wifes Turbo PT cruiser vert

Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

i was on the bike when i saw them so i just did a burn out for like a minute. and left. i need a new tire lol

im getting there.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

haha, my dad is giving me his cruiser bike when i get back he's got a honda VTX1300 all chromed out with a burnt orange paint job

Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #29

Region: New Jersey

i have 03 vert with 2.81 pulley, highflow cats, bassani x pipe, jlt cold air intake,and slp after xpipe... and after conservative tune it put down 471rwhp and 481rwtq... and a short throw shifter is the way to go even its not as bad as soon may cry about... good luck with it... extremely fun car to drive....
Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

i'm so glad you said that flawless, i wanted to order the 2.81 pulley and belt. should i put have a shop install the pulley i mean if i need to tune it after it's installed i can't drive it after installing it can I? or can i drive it easy so as to not **** anything up, the site says i need a new chip and handheld tuner

Old 02-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

by info on the car i ment, mileage, condition, color, etc.

and its a constant back and forth on RAI vs CAI. I really dont give a crap about a few ponies the CAI in the fender just looks better but thats just an opinion I guess. If I did have to do it again I might go RAI simply cuz its a pita to get to the damn filter.

my car with a cai/exhaust put down 400/380 no tune
Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Roush View Post
i'm so glad you said that flawless, i wanted to order the 2.81 pulley and belt. should i put have a shop install the pulley i mean if i need to tune it after it's installed i can't drive it after installing it can I? or can i drive it easy so as to not **** anything up, the site says i need a new chip and handheld tuner

you need to get the pulley installed correctly so they dont screw up your blower, most shops never do this so be careful. I would go with billietflow pullies but its up to you. You just need it tuned by a place that KNOWS the car, not just anyone. no need for a chip
Old 02-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

The car has 40,000 miles on it, it's yellow and in mint condition aparently i'm the second owner, first guy was some older guy that was in his 50's. it doesn't have the chrome rims it has the the plain rims on it just silver still nice though. why is it some cobras have the cobra in the gril and others done't have the cobra in the grill? id like to get the cobra for the grill though. i think it looks really nice that and the chrome lettering for the rear bumper

Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the horse is the factory grill item, the snake is an aftermarket item and IMO is to small for the huge openingin the 03/04 grill as to why I dont have one.

the rear letters I have are SS inserts (company SS) and I like them just sand the edges of them before install or everytime you wipe them you will snag your rag
Old 02-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

I much prefer the factory pony in the grill too. That's the reason it's what I have.
Our's:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion