I got some new toys for the cobra! w00t! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to USMC Roush Send a message via MSN to USMC Roush
Thumbs up I got some new toys for the cobra! w00t!

So yeah, gotta love the iraq paychecks... so i decided to get one ebay one day and ended up spending more than i even though... even though a dollar was more than i expected...

I ended up buying smoked tail lights for it which i think will be sexy with screamin' yellow paint job, i got a set of HID headlights with the HID conversion for them so they are true HID's,

I found a set of rims on there i really liked... made it a staggered look, it was a 19 in the rear and a 18 in the front... they are cobra style rims but are chrome black.

ordered some supension for the car as well... droped the from about 1.5 inchs i believe it said and the rear 2.5 inches i'm hoping it'll give the tires a nice tucked look but if i can't get over speed bumps i'm selling the suspension.

Also ordered some yellow neons and i'm going to do it like i used to have my old car and my current RX7 where i'm going to hide them in under the dash, front seats and the back of the front seats and it'll run off the door and when the doors open it turns them on as well...

might go underbody kit for the doors as well... did that too and it looks nice as hell... anyone have any other ideas?

of course all the neons under the car would be switched so if i was just going to the grocerey store i could just disable them. underbody is just for car shows mainly

United States Marine Corp OIF/OEF 2009 - 2010 - Yellow 2003 Cobra: RAI, BBK mid headers, 2.81 pulley, BBK o/r X pipe, Borla Stinger Exhast, cross drilled and slotted front/rear rotors...next thing to come is color matched calipers. (still needs to be installed but it's waiting for me)
USMC Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: I got some new toys for the cobra! w00t!

gonna be nice when it's all done

Are the stock wheels chrome? If so put them up for sale when you get them off. the chrome sells pretty good

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yeah they are chrome, i'm thinking about keeping them to have a strip pair and street pair

United States Marine Corp OIF/OEF 2009 - 2010 - Yellow 2003 Cobra: RAI, BBK mid headers, 2.81 pulley, BBK o/r X pipe, Borla Stinger Exhast, cross drilled and slotted front/rear rotors...next thing to come is color matched calipers. (still needs to be installed but it's waiting for me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

another good pair. I'm keeping my stockers for now for just that same reason

Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i'm going to use the chrome's on the strip, because i want it to have as stock a look as possible haha... the blacks for just driving around town smokin' ricers and anything else i can smoke

Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i think the neons will really accent it well too... i just don't wanna be that guy with the neons and it look ricy ya know? i want it to be unique and one of a kind

Old 03-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Roush View Post
i'm going to use the chrome's on the strip, because i want it to have as stock a look as possible haha... the blacks for just driving around town smokin' ricers and anything else i can smoke
you should be able to smoke almost anything you come across

Old 03-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Roush View Post
i think the neons will really accent it well too... i just don't wanna be that guy with the neons and it look ricy ya know? i want it to be unique and one of a kind
don't take this the wrong way, but IMO any car with neons looks ricer to me

Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

yeah but they drive around with them on and stuff, mines going to be on when i open the doors, and once they close they go off... but also they are still undecided for the neons under the car, i might still just go with incar accents which will look hott either way

Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

that's the biggest thing. it is kinda cool if your at a car show at night with them

Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

thats what i'm going for, i think it'd be badass to have someone ask to see the inside at like dusk or even when it is dark and open the door and just have a yellow glow come from inside the car

Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Hmm...it all sounds pretty good...even the neons as I am thinking about doing some in-car red in mine...and maybe an underbody kit for car shows some day...but...the 19" rims I'm not so sure about.

But...sounds like you have some fun stuff to play with when you get back.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

well i can't find the 18/17 setup on the rims that are cobra rims, i want to keep it looking stock but they don't have em' so i had to go with what they had, it's only a inch though, it won't be bad.... it does come with 18's right?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

No, stock they are 17's...which I've always thought was plenty big enough. But, some have gone 19's and such....you just won't have any sidewall for any kind of hard launches...then again, you don't really have a ton with 17's either.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

i found a 18/16 setup but i don't know how much that would affect my suspension set up

Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Well, it wouldn't fit very well over your front brakes, so no...you'll have like 1/16" gap between the rim and caliper. lol
Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I would pick some H&R race springs for the vert and maximum motorsport full length subframe connectors as they are a must (if it doesnt already have them) then some maximum motorsport caster/camber plates.

you can get 17inch or 18 inch oem looking rims for your car (18s look just like the 17s in chrome from the factory just 18s vs 17s) they are hard to find in 18s but AFS company is releasing the 18s this month again.

post up before you go buying we may can help lol
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

once i figure out the exact rims i'm going for i'll post up some pictures of them and the sizes that i'm going with, i consulted the wife since rims are a bigger investment than what i had bought for the interior and what not but i'll talk to you all as well to find out what the best choice is... i also like the FR500's

Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

FR's are great rims....

As for sizes, I just said I'm not feeling the 19's as I don't think the car is big enough to make them look small. The newer mustangs can run 20's but since it is such a hippo in comparison to the new edge, the 20's don't look like ferris wheels.

None the less, it is your car and it really only matters what look YOU are going for. Not everyone is going to like your choice...just like many would say the FR's are played out. I don't care because I love the way the look on my car. Just like I think the bullits look retarded on a cobra but a number of guys have swapped out the stockers for a set of bullits.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i don't like the bullitt rims on really anything, i think i'm going to just go with a 18 which will make it only a size larger and that way it won't become a problem with my suspension either, so i think i'm going to go 18's all the way around and i know my wifes car has 17" rims and it's hell to buy tires... ****ing expensive because it's a "off size" rim .... and i have to buy HP tires for it too..

Old 03-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Tires for our 17x9" rims are not really all that expensive when you compare them to what you will pay for 18" rims. Check out tire prices for what you are thinking of running and you will see what I mean. The mickey tompson et street radials I want are $209 each for the 17" rim....the same tire for the 18" rim is $315 or $310...something like that. $100 more anyhow.

Tire price is THE reason I didn't go 18's...because I really wanted hypercoated FR500's...but tehy only came 18....but I didn't want to pay the 18" tire tax.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

18s are as big as are needed, it will look even better with a drop

here are 18s, as you can see these are perfect any bigger is simply to big

Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I like those rims.... who makes those? i want a nice lip on my rim too

Old 03-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #24
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Those would be CCW's and are in the area of $500 or $700 each. Great rims, better price.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #25
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

My bad, those are the true forged version of teh CCW's...they are $2200 for the set of 4.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

lol i wish they were cheaper haha

Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea those are True Forged Victory rims, they are 2400 a set (2 piece) in polished (add more for powder coating, etc etc). They are a two piece rim, but are available in a three piece rim, with or with out bolts. You can specify them with any back spacing you wish.

Those are 18x9 front 2.25 inch lip on front with 5.95 back spacing and 18x10 rear with 4.00 inch lip and 6.00 back spacing.

He is going on his 3rd set of TF wheels lol... he had chicanes for a while

I am going with TF wheels in the Mach 5 style, same setup fitment wise as above ^^ all polished just like those victory's no bolts. Here are some pics of the Mach 5 style

Mine will be like this but with .5 inch more lip and no bolts (this is chrome but polished looks the same other than its all polished not just the outside bit)

they really are not THAT expensive when you factor in selling your OEM rims/tires for a decent amount~ taking the price down from 2400 to around 1700~ or about twice FR500s or 18 03 cobra style rims (or less than that depending)
Old 03-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

i like the black ones thats what i'd like to get as well since it is a yellow car i think the black would contrast well against the paint make it stand out really well.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea black rims look good one some cars but they are not for me
Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i don't think they go good on all cars especially dark cars but i figure if you put a black rim on a bright car it just shows it off more, grabs your attention ya know as if the bright color won't but it just helps it stand out. if the car is a dark car then go with a chrome of course because that will flash in the sun and if youre like me and ADD you'll be like "Ohhhhhhhhhh shiny"

Old 03-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

well i was going to be serious for a second, i found some black wedssports that i thought didn't look bad on a white mustang and as soon as i find that pic ill send em, not sure how you like a ton of spokes, but ill find it, anyway, if your going for expensive, here you go:

Google Image Result for http://www.carbonfibergear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/weds-sport-carbon-fiber-wheel.jpg

EDIT: i did find that pic: i personally thought they wouldn't be bad and they are light and cheap (well not extremly light, but ne way) i was going to get some for the track but my money disapeared

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

those are ****ing nice, but no way i'm spending 10g's on a set of wheels haha

Old 03-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

i've been thinking about getting my stocks just powder coated black

Old 03-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

they have sales for black rims regularly in your oem style as most dont buy them so if thats what you want you can pick up a set pretty cheap
Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

who does this???

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion